Server option: "minimum hours played"

It would be nice if I could play with experienced players. If the server had a "minimum hours played" option, then beginners couldn't come in.

I would be happy to teach players how to play, but only when I decide to teach. If a total beginner can come in at winter time and ask me how to survive, and ruin the team sanity not leaving after the 3rd death... it is a bit boring and frustrating.

10 minutes ago, dragisteam said:

It would be nice if I could play with experienced players. If the server had a "minimum hours played" option, then beginners couldn't come in.

I would be happy to teach players how to play, but only when I decide to teach. If a total beginner can come in at winter time and ask me how to survive, and ruin the team sanity not leaving after the 3rd death... it is a bit boring and frustrating.

Hello ,

i guess that "Balance Features" won't be added because their no real use for that .

however if you want to play with only experienced players you could find some here at the forums , and then play on private servers.

but ah making "Balance Features" would make the player base split up too : "New Players (or noobs)" and "Experienced players" , and i think i had read that this isn't what Klei looking for (they don't want to split their player base) so i guess their won't be such features 

sorry :( 

anyway have an nice day or night :)   

An experience or hours-played filter is kind of an all-roads-to-fault scenario. It seems like a good idea at first but every way you can think of to implement it will lead to negative consequences for the community further down the road. I can't see it ever being implemented as this would just alienate new players and therefore kill the community. 

I saw someone come up with a clever answer to that the other day in-game. Someone joined in Winter and was told to survive 5 days on their own before they were allowed at camp. We were all experienced enough to fight off a few shadows, so even a haunting wouldn't bother us much.

It's not much, but an idea you can work with for some situations at least.

16 hours ago, BeastNips said:

That's ideal. Maybe not your method in particular (although I do use it) but the idea that this sort of thing is player-policed; not some filter on servers. 

This is pretty much where I fall on this topic.  On my server, anyone who dies his/her first day gets kicked, although I may extend this to 5 days.  I would love some server plugin that would enforce simple rules automatically; kicking those for certain quantifiable actions, like dying before a set number of days, being AFK for 60 seconds, ect.  Or at least a rules.txt to add to the server files so people can actually know what the rules are.

Just stating, this may be an odd thought too, but certain players maybe experienced, also, but the hours weren't recorded (offline, or for some other reason), and wouldn't allow people to play even though they may be able to survive to day 100.

Also, they may have been playing the original DS, and just bought DST.

On 2/8/2016 at 3:45 PM, KitcheVadimas said:

This is pretty much where I fall on this topic.  On my server, anyone who dies his/her first day gets kicked, although I may extend this to 5 days.  I would love some server plugin that would enforce simple rules automatically; kicking those for certain quantifiable actions, like dying before a set number of days, being AFK for 60 seconds, ect.  Or at least a rules.txt to add to the server files so people can actually know what the rules are.

That does sound like a good method. 

Archived