Advice for LAN?

Hey there,

I recently was playing DST LAN with a friend. He was the host, and I got my usual (for some reason) terrible connection to cause a lot of lag (rubberbanding, character moving without touching keyboard, etc.)

Since he is the host he doesn't get any lag, but could I minimize mine by connecting our laptops with a LAN cable/whatever its called? What would be the difference? I'm asking this because I wanna try getting one (could you imagine? A Together game without lag?!) So... sorry if I sound like a noob, I've never used these before haha.

Thanks in advance!

If you are already on the same network, and you're connected to a strong wifi signal, a cable won't make a difference. If the wifi signal is weak (it has to go through walls), a ethernet cable might help, but you would both need to use one to connect to the router for the best effect. Unless your wifi signal is really bad, you shouldn't be having these rubberrbanding problems. Do they happen on every server you join, or only lan servers?

8 hours ago, Snowhusky5 said:

If yn the same network, aconnecteflnd you a strong wifi signal, a cable won't make a difference. If the wifi signal is weak (it has to go through walls), a ethernet cable might help, but you would both need to use one to connect to the router for the best effect. Unless your wifi signal is really bad, you shouldn't be having these rubberrbanding problems. Do they happen on every server you join, or only lan servers?

Yeah, the wifi signal is very strong and we're both in the same room.

I do have this lag on any server I connect to, even if my ping to it is very low (Online or lan).

But I think you misunderstand me, I was talking about connecting our laptops with a cable because I read somewhere quite a bit ago that the host doesn't get lag because its going through their machine first? I don't know if its true or not, but maybe when going through the cable instead it will be faster/better? (From laptop to laptop, not being connectefd to wifi). Again, I really don't have experience with this, so sorry if I sound really stupid .

There is currently another topic going on about issues with a direct pc-to-pc connection not working with this game, but you could try it. Just use an ethernet cable and plug in your two pcs to either end; if the server doesn't show up on the menu, then try connecting each of your pcs to a router (such as your wifi router, but any router would work) via ethernet cable, if that is possible.

If you get lag on any server, lan and online, then there is some sort of problem with your computer, most likely. Does your friend have the same lag that you do when he connects to an online server (using the same wifi)? How's the lag if you host and he connects to you?

If your friend does not have the same lag as you when playing on a random online server, then the problem is probably in your computer somewhere. If you both have lag when connecting online or to each other, there is a problem with your wifi.

23 hours ago, Snowhusky5 said:

There is currently another topic going on about issues with a direct pc-to-pc connection not working with this game, but you could try it. Just use an ethernet cable and plug in your two pcs to either end; if the server doesn't show up on the menu, then try connecting each of your pcs to a router (such as your wifi router, but any router would work) via ethernet cable, if that is possible.

If you get lag on any server, lan and online, then there is some sort of problem with your computer, most likely. Does your friend have the same lag that you do when he connects to an online server (using the same wifi)? How's the lag if you host and he connects to you?

If your friend does not have the same lag as you when playing on a random online server, then the problem is probably in your computer somewhere. If you both have lag when connecting online or to each other, there is a problem with your wifi.

Okay, so I connected out laptops with an Ethernet cable and configured it (I looked up a tutorial) so now my friend sees my server, but when he clicks on join game it loads, but returns to the title screen with the message "Server not responding. Try yelling louder?" If he is the host I don't see the server pop up. When checking his log the bottom was spammed with "ID_CONNECTION_ATTEMPT_FAILED" and I don't know what to do with it. Any suggestions?

Archived