Darkness during the daytime...

Hey,

I created an account as I'm considering getting into modding for DST (and maybe DS) and was curious if it is possible currently to have areas of darkness (which torches and other light sources still work in as normal), during the day.

To give a basic idea of what I'd like to try create is a kind of dungeon and/or mountain/cave area on the surface, but that is always dark for the player to explore.  I'd love to have this be something that is based on a room area, so that I could still have things similar to the normal caves areas of light during the day as well.

Any advice would be appreciated, I don't mind digging through the script files, but figured I'd see if someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

If you want more unique things about it (e.g. hounds, weather, giants, Krampus) you should consider making a seperate level (I know that's ridiculous to say, but it's probably easier under those circumstances)

You could try "black light": have a light-emitter with light of the colour black (all values at zero), the radius and fall-off being free to edit as needed. I am not sure whether that'd work, though, since day-light may add up with entity-light. Maybe negative light?

Thanks.  I'll try take a look.  It seems figuring out how to do most things with DST modding, beyond adding basic characters/items is part science, part eldritch witchcraft.  I posted a separate topic as I decided world generation and such would probably be a bad place to start and tried to start on revamping the blow dart system instead (though that's proving to have its own issues).

You could try "black light": have a light-emitter with light of the colour black (all values at zero), the radius and fall-off being free to edit as needed. I am not sure whether that'd work, though, since day-light may add up with entity-light. Maybe negative light?

No such thing as negative light. And you can't get black from combining different colors in RGB.

To give a basic idea of what I'd like to try create is a kind of dungeon and/or mountain/cave area on the surface, but that is always dark for the player to explore. I'd love to have this be something that is based on a room area, so that I could still have things similar to the normal caves areas of light during the day as well.

So basically, a cave.

Total darkness, but in some spots there are lights that react to a day cycle, the cave day cycle.

So basically, a cave.

Total darkness, but in some spots there are lights that react to a day cycle, the cave day cycle.

Basically, yeah.  The idea would be to have caves and/or dungeon style areas that are not separate servers, while still being able to have normal areas as well.