Sign in to follow this  
Prinny

Hiding Corpses and "Undetected" Bonus

Prinny    10

While high scores are largely moot (since there's no way to validate your own accomplishment as there's blocks of hundreds of player with the same score but different numbers), I feel confused by the game forcing me to do things for bonuses that are busy work.

In active combat, hiding bodies is actually fun, as murdering someone right behind a guard and then dragging him into the dark so he wont get noticed, or throwing the body to cause terror, these are action oriented.

But once everyone's dead, it's just busy work. Take 5 bodies and throw them all in the same dumpster and take them out again for points. Hiding guys in vents that turn out not to be vents, so you can't get points.

And then, the Undetected bonus. While it's cool, in theory, it seems to award inconsistently, in attempting to get Ghost (not sure what the hidden requirements on this one were, could not get it on either of the first two levels), and in playing around with teleportation, I found that "Undetected" isn't always possible to get. The general assumption I've gotten is that you get it for being "right next to someone and undetected", but it's not granted always.

Sometimes it's granted from being "almost detected", but again, inconsistently.

Is there any reason why these two bonuses should not be automatically granted at the end of the level as conditions warrant?

If a body was never discovered to produce an alarm, is it not sufficiently hidden? Once you're done with the mission, the assumption is that the bodies don't matter anymore, so what does it matter if it is in the vent (where someone is going to find it because it stinks) or in the trash (where someone is going to find it because it stinks)?

For undetected bonus, if they never detected you... aren't you undetected? I get the notion, that you're being "risky", but since the bonus is not always granted, it can literally break a high score run because it just wont give you the points for it, and there's no indication of what guards have granted the bonus to know if you've "tagged them all" for your high score.

loopuleasa    10

Yeah, the body hidden bonus and undetected bonus are annoying. It means those with a high score have done all the laborious work.

The biggest I've got on a level is rank 13 and it took a while to hide all the bodies

Torasko    17

I agree with the fact that you should get an undetected bonus at the end for every guard that didn't spot you, instead of putting yourself in danger to get those extra 250 points per guard, but this is not something that will be changed in Mark of the Ninja. However, I'm sure Klei will take this into account while developing a potential sequel.