I just realized something... volcano eruptions aren't that bad...

When I first got to the volcano season Í thought it was pure madness, and I think most of you do too. You can't walk out of your base cause of overheating but you can't be in your base because well... rocks... 

And don't get me wrong I've been in that situation when meteors destroy your whole base (and Packim poor guy) But I don't really find it that bad. Let me run through why.

First of we don't have winter. There's only one season with an overheating/freezing in SW and it's this one. And there aren't alot going on in the other ones. Sure it's a bit windy and there's some mosquitoes, but the wind isn't a problem if you have alot of logs and you just need a shell armour to block the poison form the mosquitoes. And that is kind of boring in my opinion. Well that's why the volcano season is such a great idea. You should always spawn in fall though because you wouldn't be able to survive the volcano season otherwise. But if you always spawn in fall, then you should have a proper base once the volcano season starts. You should have lots of nitre and grass making it easy to build endothermic fires. So just set up a "launch site" on your island where you go once the meteors start to fall and continue settting up endothermic fires until it's over. 

YES it is alot harder than all other seasons but if the other seasons are easy, then instead of having two hard seasons Sipwrecked has one REALLY hard season. I've had alot of fun in the volcano season. Especially when I got attacked by hounds in the middle of a meteor attack. It's hard but it's easely beatable.

so why all the hate?

When I first got to the volcano season Í thought it was pure madness, and I think most of you do too. You can't walk out of your base cause of overheating but you can't be in your base because well... rocks... 

And don't get me wrong I've been in that situation when meteors destroy your whole base (and Packim poor guy) But I don't really find it that bad. Let me run through why.

First of we don't have winter. There's only one season with an overheating/freezing in SW and it's this one. And there aren't alot going on in the other ones. Sure it's a bit windy and there's some mosquitoes, but the wind isn't a problem if you have alot of logs and you just need a shell armour to block the poison form the mosquitoes. And that is kind of boring in my opinion. Well that's why the volcano season is such a great idea. You should always spawn in fall though because you wouldn't be able to survive the volcano season otherwise. But if you always spawn in fall, then you should have a proper base once the volcano season starts. You should have lots of nitre and grass making it easy to build endothermic fires. So just set up a "launch site" on your island where you go once the meteors start to fall and continue settting up endothermic fires until it's over. 

YES it is alot harder than all other seasons but if the other seasons are easy, then instead of having two hard seasons Sipwrecked has one REALLY hard season. I've had alot of fun in the volcano season. Especially when I got attacked by hounds in the middle of a meteor attack. It's hard but it's easely beatable.

so why all the hate?

That doesn´t make the constantly running around like a mad man better game design in any way.

It is just broken and not entertaining....unless you like running around half a season

and dodging 1 HKO bombs,

BUT when we can calm down the volcano in one of the next updates, it wont be a big deal anymore.

It would be cool if we need the gasmask then because of the ash clouds are bad for your health/sanity.

There are items to help. There are sandbags for water(although a little broke), there is the windbreaker for the annoying wind, and there is a gas mask for the poison. But there nothing to combat the most broke thing. They need work, and if they don't, they need to add an item to balance it out.

There are items to help. There are sandbags for water(although a little broke), there is the windbreaker for the annoying wind, and there is a gas mask for the poison. But there nothing to combat the most broke thing. They need work, and if they don't, they need to add an item to balance it out.

Yes, they should add an item to help you better survive the volcano season, but. I said that the other seasons aren't that hard that's why this one should be just THAT hard. Although instakilling is kind of dumb so adding some kind of helmet would be a good idea. Although Iv'e heard of totems guarding an area from falling meteors, that seems like an overkill. Why not just place them everywhere like the lightning rod then? 

No I want this season to be hard but without the instakilling

The main issue with the Volcano Season is how unstoppable/uncounterable it is. The strategy for it is basically: run around away from your base/important areas. That's it. Currently it feels more like a deadline to build the Thing portal and get out.

I really like the idea of it though, but the constant rhythm of run and stop for days gets tiring real fast. It needs a lot of tweaking and reworking, probably the most out of anything else.

seriously its just dumb for eruptions to occur that often. the heat is bad enough

but you can just modd the game like i did and while it grumbles it never erupts and no smoke. its not even hard. the only reason i dont redistribute is its really simple. i had to add no waves but impact waves to make it even seem like a full mod and not just a waste of space

seriously its just dumb for eruptions to occur that often. the heat is bad enough

but you can just modd the game like i did and while it grumbles it never erupts and no smoke. its not even hard. the only reason i dont redistribute is its really simple. i had to add no waves but impact waves to make it even seem like a full mod and not just a waste of space

That on the other hand is to easy. ^^

which file are you modding? to disable this?  I can't find anything except

VOLCANO_FIRERAIN_WARNING = 2,

VOLCANO_FIRERAIN_RADIUS = 20

within tuning.lua

Does tuning_override even do anything at this point?  How would you go about just shortening the dry season, instead of limiting it?

I kinda agree with you. I did enjoy the challenge of volcano season over the 3 easy seasons. However, there should be expensive, but effective, ways of preventing meteor attacks. I posted a few ideas in another topic about this, such as a rock-proof submarine, a protective effigy that's fueled by meat, and a hard hat that negates meteor damage.

Archived