Suggestion: More Darkness and Insanity.

Think it would be cool to see a more darkness and insanity related effects and enemies for this new expansion. :wilson_dorky:

Effects.

Would be neat if more animals become twisted and warped by your insanity like the rabbits. Always wondered what a pig would look like if you were insane. And why stop at animals? Insanity warped plants would probably add a lot to the atmosphere as well with everything turning more twisted and sinister. And maybe the ground itself could warp depending on the biome you are in.

And maybe when your sanity starts to dip and you huddle around your campfire you might suddenly start to hear drums out there in the darkness. Wait a little longer and a nightmarish Tiki statue face might appear with an eerie fire behind it playing said drums. Other times there could be multiple Tiki faces. http://orig14.deviantart.net/c0e5/f/2010/300/b/4/a_night_in_the_tiki_room_by_lanbridge-d31nnfd.jpg

Another effect could be that you start to see nightmarish creatures under the water, this would be like the shadow beings you see around the darkness around your campfire at night, they are just there to add to the atmosphere.

Then there could be the less obviously shadow themed and more realistic insanity illusions, for example your base appearing to be on fire when you return from an expedition(Credit to Lacost) or all your food having seemingly turned to rot, and perhaps you could suddenly find yourself in the middle of a fake snake swarm, that should give an unsuspecting player a fright.

Creatures.

One idea I had is for darkness spawned shadow Mini Tikis that try to steal torches out of your fire at night, them stealing these torches lowers the duration of the fire, they would be acompanied by drumming to signal their arrival(Credit I originally wrote them as gremlins, TwitcheryGamer for suggesting changing the visuals of the gremlins into Mini Tikis and AnteSocial for the drumming).

Another shadow creature I had an idea for is a shadow moving under your character, and reaching up with tendrils to attempt to drag the character down into the shadow. When the tendrils start to wrap around your character they make you very cold, and you have to swipe at the tendrils with a torch to make them go away.

And since this is an ocean based DLC why not have aquatic shadow creatures? Shadow tentacle sharks and maelstrom shadow squid sucking down your boat, and maybe giant squid tentacles with glowing white suckers could swipe at you(Credit TwitcheryGamer), a good reason not to be insane at sea.

Perhaps even classic shadow monsters like the Crawling Horror could return in a more tropical appearance, like a skull shaped beetle perhaps, reminiscent of the Skulltulas of Zelda, and maybe the Terrorbeak could take on the appearance of a spear wielding Tiki warrior(Credit TwitcheryGamer).

Maybe I just haven't done enough adventuring, but I haven't had any need to boost my sanity so far; just picking flowers and wearing flower crowns largely for decorative purposes (and eating crockpot food) has kept my sanity at or near 200 even into the second in-game week. Even getting rained on didn't reduce it enough to cause problems. I'm not sure if this is because the balance of things that drain sanity to things that restore it is off, because I'm personally playing it safe, or because I'm still in the early game.

I'm hesitant to suggest more sanity drains when I haven't played far enough to see much of the new content, but it kind of looks like sanity loss at least becomes a problem later in Shipwrecked than in Sandbox Mode. (Unless I was just lucky enough to spawn in a resource-rich area.)

Maybe I just haven't done enough adventuring, but I haven't had any need to boost my sanity so far; just picking flowers and wearing flower crowns largely for decorative purposes (and eating crockpot food) has kept my sanity at or near 200 even into the second in-game week. Even getting rained on didn't reduce it enough to cause problems. I'm not sure if this is because the balance of things that drain sanity to things that restore it is off, because I'm personally playing it safe, or because I'm still in the early game.

I'm hesitant to suggest more sanity drains when I haven't played far enough to see much of the new content, but it kind of looks like sanity loss at least becomes a problem later in Shipwrecked than in Sandbox Mode. (Unless I was just lucky enough to spawn in a resource-rich area.)

Wait until you get to spring. It will wreck your face with insanity. Even if you have protective gear :)

Oh good, I can't wait.

(Even I'm not sure if that was sarcastic or sincere. It sounds slightly terrifying but I'm intrigued anyway.)

That would seem to confirm my theory that insanity takes longer to set in on Shipwrecked's islands than the main game, though, if spring/monsoon season takes about as long to arrive as winter.

Seems you are having more luck than me, when I get to the hurricane season I am swimming in insanity. Which is why I wish to see more insanity effects and creatures to fit the new tropical setting, seeing new stuff when insane would make the experience more enjoyable and interesting.

:wilson_smile:

Seems you are having more luck than me, when I get to the hurricane season I am swimming in insanity. Which is why I wish to see more insanity effects and creatures to fit the new tropical setting, seeing new stuff when insane would make the experience more pleasurable.

:wilson_smile:

go totally nuts and crabs turn into beard crabs.

theres some creature changes u just gotta go insane enough.

go totally nuts and crabs turn into beard crabs.

theres some creature changes u just gotta go insane enough.

So there are beard crabs? Wow, that one has escaped me in my three runs for some reason. Well at any rate it would be cool to see even more such transformations. :snarlingspider:

. Other times there could be multiple Tiki faces. http://orig14.deviantart.net/c0e5/f/2010/300/b/4/a_night_in_the_tiki_room_by_lanbridge-d31nnfd.jpg

Another effect could be that you start to see nightmarish creatures under the water, this would be like the shadow beings you see around the darkness around your campfire at night, they are just there to add to the atmosphere.

I like your idea but I would wish more "not so obvious" shadow illusions.

Illusions being a good word at this point. Imagine your insane character is getting back to your base and it is fully burning and you can't tell the difference between a real fire and said illusion. This would play with real fears of the player and spices things up a little.

I like your idea but I would wish more "not so obvious" shadow illusions.

Illusions being a good word at this point. Imagine your insane character is getting back to your base and it is fully burning and you can't tell the difference between a real fire and said illusion. This would play with real fears of the player and spices things up a little.

Sure, but why not both? I like both forms, both shadowy and realistic ones, some are obvious and some are less so.

Btw I added your fire illusion idea to the pile with credit to you, hope that was okay with you, I will remove it if you are not. :wilson_dorky:

So there are beard crabs? Wow, that one has escaped me in my three runs for some reason. Well at any rate it would be cool to see even more such transformations. :snarlingspider:

Can confirm after my sanity dropped below half (Was completely soaked by waves in deep water ;-;). Beard crabs, when murdered, drop nightmare fuel. 

I do think that the Terrorbeaks and Crawling Horrors should be replaced with a Tiki creature wielding a spear and a Skull-beetle respectively. The Skullbeetle would look creepy, and the Tiki thingy would be frightening.

OOOOORRR

We could take your gremlins idea and make em mini Tikis! They will come for you when your sanity is low instead of the Shadow Hands. They try to take your fire away and then run off with it, obviously like the hands. Instead of the music box (which I actually love) we could hear "gnawing" sounds as they come closer. Of course, 3 will come at a time, and they would move probably a little faster than the hands, but they got tiny hands, so they would take a lot less. It would be very frantic come night-time. 

Also when in the boat, Shadow Creatures should definitely become these squid tentacles that come up from the ocean and you have to avoid getting near them or they'll swipe at you! They could have suckers on them that glow bright white, and it would look awesome at night.

I love the idea of the character's shadow coming to life, too.

As for the more shadowy creatures, yeah, we got hairy Crabs (but I'm a bit sad they still call them "Crabs" even while insane), seeing some birds change shape to something more sinister, or maybe have the Flups turn hairy and fuzzy too, and have the Jellyfish be all ghost-like. It would be a very interesting idea to have all of those in the game! We can only hope they'd take some of our ideas! X_X Let me know what you think of my ideas too :D

Can confirm after my sanity dropped below half (Was completely soaked by waves in deep water ;- ;). Beard crabs, when murdered, drop nightmare fuel. 

Also if you kill them without them being in the inventory, they will drop Monster Meat.

We could take your gremlins idea and make em mini Tikis! They will come for you when your sanity is low instead of the Shadow Hands. They try to take your fire away and then run off with it, obviously like the hands. Instead of the music box (which I actually love) we could hear "gnawing" sounds as they come closer. Of course, 3 will come at a time, and they would move probably a little faster than the hands, but they got tiny hands, so they would take a lot less. It would be very frantic come night-time. 

Why not use the drums idea? Have little bursts of rapid bongos getting faster/louder as the mini Tikis approach (again, I'm thinking Predator..)

I do think that the Terrorbeaks and Crawling Horrors should be replaced with a Tiki creature wielding a spear and a Skull-beetle respectively. The Skullbeetle would look creepy, and the Tiki thingy would be frightening.

OOOOORRR

Also when in the boat, Shadow Creatures should definitely become these squid tentacles that come up from the ocean and you have to avoid getting near them or they'll swipe at you! They could have suckers on them that glow bright white, and it would look awesome at night.

I love the idea of the character's shadow coming to life, too.

As for the more shadowy creatures, yeah, we got hairy Crabs (but I'm a bit sad they still call them "Crabs" even while insane), seeing some birds change shape to something more sinister, or maybe have the Flups turn hairy and fuzzy too, and have the Jellyfish be all ghost-like. It would be a very interesting idea to have all of those in the game! We can only hope they'd take some of our ideas! X_X Let me know what you think of my ideas too :grin:

Also if you kill them without them being in the inventory, they will drop Monster Meat.

A Tiki Creature that looks something like this perhaps? http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/irlsao/images/4/4e/6-media-844-_1.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20131205231635 I was going to suggest a normal monster based on Odolwa, but maybe an insanity monster would be just as awesome. Think I am still going to suggest a special "Jungle Hunter" monster though. :wilson_lightbulb: Edit: I just made that suggestion, you can find that here if you are interested. http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/60301-suggestion-the-hunter/?p=693762

And this SkullBeetle of your's has me intrigued as well, mind telling me more about it?

Oooooh! Mini Tikis! That is brilliant! Forget gremlins, with your blessing and credit I will make them into Mini Tikis instead because that sounds like a much better idea. :wilson_smile:

And those squid tentacles sound awesome!

A Tiki Creature that looks something like this perhaps? http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/irlsao/images/4/4e/6-media-844-_1.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20131205231635 I was going to suggest a normal monster based on Odolwa, but maybe an insanity monster would be just as awesome. Think I am still going to suggest a special "Jungle Hunter" monster though. :wilson_lightbulb: Edit: I just made that suggestion, you can find that here if you are interested. http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/60301-suggestion-the-hunter/?p=693762

And this SkullBeetle of your's has me intrigued as well, mind telling me more about it?

Oooooh! Mini Tikis! That is brilliant! Forget gremlins, with your blessing and credit I will make them into Mini Tikis instead because that sounds like a much better idea. :wilson_smile:

And those squid tentacles sound awesome!

Well, you know those Skulltulas from Zelda?

That's how I imagine the Skull Beetle, except a beetle, and not a tarantula. The beetle would look kind of like the Crawling Horror. The main body would be shaped like a skull with large eyesockets, and have pinchers to attack you with. The Crawling Horror is bug-like enough, but the Skull Beetle could still have that sense of "Tropicalness" I guess.

Also thank you!  :wilson_vforvictory:

I can just imagine Wilson going insane at sea, then these shadow tentacles pop up and try to knock him off board. :p

Well, you know those Skulltulas from Zelda?

That's how I imagine the Skull Beetle, except a beetle, and not a tarantula. The beetle would look kind of like the Crawling Horror. The main body would be shaped like a skull with large eyesockets, and have pinchers to attack you with. The Crawling Horror is bug-like enough, but the Skull Beetle could still have that sense of "Tropicalness" I guess.

Also thank you!  :wilson_vforvictory:

I can just imagine Wilson going insane at sea, then these shadow tentacles pop up and try to knock him off board. :razz:

Oh yeah! The Skulltulas! I remember those, I never got the last of the golden ones, was always one or two that evaded me...  :wilson_worried: Oh, that Skull Beetle sounds like it would be awesome! Ever since the Skulltulas of Ocarina of Time I have been enamored with skull shaped insects in games and other forms of fiction. :wilson_smile:

Think it would be cool to see a more darkness and insanity related effects and enemies for this new expansion. :wilson_dorky:

I absolutely love, love, LOVE the ideas for tiki faces and figures and drums in the night, and the skull beetles and various water nightmares - I think it would be fun to change all the stuff we've grown used to in DS/RoG to keep us on edge! Insanity warped plants also sound cool. 

Not so keen on the ideas for realistic illusions. Fire would be fairly quickly seen through as items weren't consumed (and you didn't take damage!) though I suppose it could make it harder to spot real fires which might be interesting. The rot effect is too OP - it would stop you knowing what was what so it would effectively prevent you from eating and healing, even if foods weren't actually rot - but for instance I keep raw monster meat and red mushrooms and all sorts of things mixed up in my food stores and wouldn't want to hazard a guess, and you wouldn't be able to put together crockpot recipes. Insanity carries enough problems without nixing your food, especially since the best way to cure insanity is through eating certain foods! (Is there any way to obtain milk in SW?) Maybe it could work if the illusion was only intermittent, so it would slow you down while you fumbled through your supplies.

Archived