Need some Feedback for my first mod : Seasonal Farming

Kuirem

Hello everyone. I started tinkering with Don't Starve with this little mod and I could really use some feedback.

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/files/file/1342-seasonal-farming/

I have not made a picture at the moment (drawing and picture manipulations is not my strong point), sorry for that.

The idea of the mod is to make Farming a little better by being able to grow vegetables all year long. It also reduce the need of Birdcage for farming by making it so vegetables will grow depending on the season.

For the functional feedback :

• Do you find the mod balanced? Did it make Farms better? Too strong? Too weak?
  • Should some vegetables grow in an other season?
  • Any other suggestions/ideas?

For the technical :

• Right now I found the way to choose vegetables a bit dirty and it does not give a lot of flexibility. I was thinking of adding a "season" information in veggies.lua and then go through the VEGGIES list and pick the one corresponding on the season. Any ideas on how to do the last part?
  • I completely disable Wither but I think it would be better if it worked the same as Grass and Sapling and you could use Manure to make it grow again. Any example on how to do that?
  • Finally I would like to make Basic farm better by removing the slower growth rate but making it not growing crops during Winter/Summer. However it seems that fast and slow farm use almost the same code and I can not figure out how to distinguish between them in crop.lua.

Thank you for your help.

For the sake of proper compatibility with other mods, edit prefabs with AddPrefabPostInit from modmain.lua like so:

AddPrefabPostInit("prefab_to_edit",function(inst)

inst:AddComponent("smelly")

inst:AddTag("lol")

inst.components.grower.growrate = GLOBAL.TUNING.FARM3_GROW_BONUS --"global" is a necessary prefix in modmain environment

end)

Something similiar exists for components too. AddComponentPostInit extends the constructor at the beginning of the file, though, and functions can be overwritten using "self:FunctionName(args) ... end".

For the sake of proper compatibility with other mods, edit prefabs with AddPrefabPostInit from modmain.lua

Thanks. Do you have any mods in mind that do that? Even if it is with an other prefabs/components than Crops.lua.

Also for the basic Farm I know how to reduce the growth time. My issue was more with how to make basic farm not grow in Winter/Summer while Improved farm still grow (so Basic Farm will not be completely useless.

Thanks. Do you have any mods in mind that do that? Even if it is with an other prefabs/components than Crops.lua.

Also for the basic Farm I know how to reduce the growth time. My issue was more with how to make basic farm not grow in Winter/Summer while Improved farm still grow (so Basic Farm will not be completely useless.

API examples

Almost every mod that changes something existing somehow uses PostInits, finding examples is not difficult.

As for the basic farm, it's probably the easiest to give its grower a variable "winter_pause" (or the advanced farms grower a variable "winterproof") and check for that variable in the grower component.

Archived