TheNet and establishing connections

Salutations,

I've recently tried to get into modding DST, and would like to ask two things.

1. Looking through the source code, a lot of classes reference classes such as TheNet or TheWorld. I've combed through the files but haven't been able to figure out where the functions are physically located. Could someone give me a nudge in the general location? Particularly for TheNet. It would be greatly appreciated.

2. How exactly does DST make connections to servers? Does it use some sort of socket library, or does it rely on other languages that natively support sockets? I'm currently attempting to make an IRC mod of sorts, and am running into issues establishing a connection to an IRC server. Any help in this regards would also be greatly appreciated.

I apologize if my questions are noobish or stupid, but I've been trying to figure it out all day with little success. Thank you for reading.

Sincerely,

Ratismal

• Developer

Hello @ratismal,

Looking through the source code, a lot of classes reference classes such as TheNet or TheWorld. I've combed through the files but haven't been able to figure out where the functions are physically located.

All the lua object whose name starts with "The" are bridges to compiled C++ functions. You won't find the source code in the lua files. 

How exactly does DST make connections to servers? Does it use some sort of socket library, or does it rely on other languages that natively support sockets?

The game client relies on the C++ side of the engine. You should not be allowed to start a new socket from Lua.

What exactly are you planning to do once connected to IRC ?  

What exactly are you planning to do once connected to IRC ?

I think he want common chat between servers. So we need chat server or common chat between forest and caves (and all other worlds if connected to the host world).

P.S. And common list of players as well.

Edited by Maris

I think he want common chat between servers. So we need chat server or common chat between forest and caves (and all other worlds if connected to the host world).

P.S. And common list of players as well.

Something like that, yes.

@Diabu, thanks for clarifying how it works. I'll see if I can work something out.