Is there anyway to add Caves to my already existing world?

Yup only dedicate servers atm.   That sucks =(

Yup, at the moment it's the only method for hosting the linked servers.

The reason it wouldn't work otherwise is because once you enter the caves server your client closes down the overworld, so other players on the overworld would get kicked.

Klei is planning on finding a way to get caves and overworld to both run on the client simultaneously so dedicated servers won't be required, but at the moment that task makes more sense for dedicated servers to handle currently.

Also if you feel like pushing the limits of your machine you can host as many linked worlds as you wish.  It's not as hard as it may appear, there's just a little setup you need to do at first and then after that it operates pretty easily.

If you find the instructions given too difficult to understand, feel free to send me a private message and I'll explain how I do it.  I run my dedicated servers off of my computer directly because I don't want to pay for one.  It's not up 24/7, but it works and I can work on my mod's with it :-)

Maybe there´s a command that let´s me spawn the entrance? I really don´t want to loose this world =/

You don't have too!

The worlds are saved in your documents folder, you can simply copy that folder when you want to create a dedicated server, you can use the same old server you were running on the client.

You can copy your worlds, setup the folders, and prep everything for hosting dedicated servers.

The only thing you'll have to do afterwards is manually spawn the cave_entrances, since your server didn't spawn with them normally, also you'll wanna spawn 1 for each exit that the cave's generate.  Whenever you spawn a cave_entrance in your overworld, it will link to an exit in the caves, if there are none to link with it will link with the multiplayer_portal down there instead.  Otherwise if you leave the caves through an unlinked exit, it will warp your character to the overworlds portal. (Unless that's something you want of course >.>, I thought it was pretty neat that some cave exits had that feeling of "Once you leave, coming back starts you over!")

You don't have too!

The worlds are saved in your documents folder, you can simply copy that folder when you want to create a dedicated server, you can use the same old server you were running on the client.

You can copy your worlds, setup the folders, and prep everything for hosting dedicated servers.

The only thing you'll have to do afterwards is manually spawn the cave_entrances, since your server didn't spawn with them normally, also you'll wanna spawn 1 for each exit that the cave's generate.  Whenever you spawn a cave_entrance in your overworld, it will link to an exit in the caves, if there are none to link with it will link with the multiplayer_portal down there instead.  Otherwise if you leave the caves through an unlinked exit, it will warp your character to the overworlds portal. (Unless that's something you want of course >.>, I thought it was pretty neat that some cave exits had that feeling of "Once you leave, coming back starts you over!")

Well I spawned one in my world. I think I´ll just wait till they are officially out, but thanks you =)

Well I spawned one in my world

Yeah, at the moment though I think they are going to be for dedicated servers for a while.  Figuring out dedicated servers isn't really all that complex, it's really a matter on if you feel your computer can handle the processor load.

Though, the thing is, the cave_entrances have 2 states.  A plugged state where they remain plugged as long as there is no linked caves server, and an open state where they are successfully linked and can be travelled too.

What I as a modder find interesting, is if I wanted, I could close my caves server and start up a second caves server and link it with my overworld, allowing me to completely change which caves server is linked with it.

What this means is I could effectively create a scenario where players can travel through an infinite amount of servers.  And Klei actually mentioned that 2 is the stable number of dedicated servers for overworld and caves, but if we wanted we could link an infinite amount.  Imagine a server where there are 200 levels of caves underneath.  Again, the stable number is 2, so any more is bound to have some severe performance issue's.

Does anyone know if you can eventually spawn a cave with ruins in it on a non-dedicated server?

Klei already patched the cave few days ago; Its (biomes in ruins) now fused together with the cave. I had to use certain console command to find that said biome.

Archived