Mods making tools

Quangmango

On Steam, you can get the Mod Tools package.

Go to the library tab and select "tools" then search for Don't Starve Mod Tools. Click install. Launch it like a game and select the program needed.

I recommend you to get matts tools (or ktools) and the autocompiler from github.

Is there anything specific you need?

don't starve doesn't use 3d modeling to create it's image. It uses a series of png images that help create the animations in-game. So anything that edits them aka photoshop or gimp can be used. Also to use them i suggest spirter from the mod tools mentioned before.

This was in my Post, I hope it helps you. 

Ok folks, I have some stuff for you!

Now you may already have some of these, But I wanted to set you up and give you some really powerful items that are useful in modding Dont Starve

Software

DropBox

Commonly used for mod help and collabs, It's a great tool to use! Matter of fact, this is the format on what we'll use to aid in projects together.

Gimp

great free software program to do art with, you can trace art with it too! One great rule to doing Dont Starve art, is to have

an art application that you can use layers with, so you can take an image (say a lamp) insert a new blank layer, and then trace around the lamp, making your own. If you two have problems, I can guide you through some stuff. 

WARNING! remember to always have the background as a transparency!

Paint.net

Another great goto art program. Sometimes I just need an image I have seen for inspiration. So i'll use this to cut around the image.

Ktools

You need this for the decompiler, You can take any dont starve prefab, unzip its animation and art work, and then mod it, rezip it and use it in your own mod, or game. 

Matts Tools

converts tex images from computer jarble to a picture! 

Khan Academy

this is a great place to learn how lua works, I highly suggest taking a look at it!

Tutorials

Items absolutley the best tutorial to start out with, It's Malcath, who is an amazing modder. 

charecters extended charecter tutorial is the best tutorial out there for making a charecter, hands down. Use gimp to edit the body parts, In Gimp, you can add a layer over the already made body parts, and then delete the old body part (example: the tutorial has a head part, instead of erasing it, make a new layer, and draw your head, using the old head as a guide)

Danaadams charecter tutorial This is for you NoobModder! It explains how to change values in a charecter, same rules apply to prefabs!

Files

​Animation and artwork

Wilson something to play around with!

Basic Pig Files This is the basic pig, animations and build

Guard Pig Build

Spotted Pig Build

Pig King Build (unmodded) 

Pig Shack 

Prefabs Brains and Stategraphs

These are the basic files for the pigs, Take a look. With Ktools, you can extract the werepig stuff.

Prefabs

Brains

Stategraphs

As you can see, I am more concerned about getting you guys some very powerful tools to use. I am also going to include all this info on my WarPigs collab request in the kleislist forums. All of this info should help you not only with aiding me in my project, but helping you with your own as well. 

Thank you all! 

Dont skimp on that "Khan Academy" link, it drops some important knowledge on the basics of coding in lua, I think it will help you if you start there first. take 15 20 minutes and do the tutorials. Afterwords, make a charecter using the extended charecter link, and then the charecter an item using the handslot item from scratch link. I help it helps! OH! and get those programs. 

Archived