[Windows 10] Problem saving and solution

Hi everyone,

Yesterday, I played with my friends during half a season (nearly 14 days) and when I disconnected the server I was hosting, it appears that all of our progress in that session were deleted... like if we haven't played.

So I created a new server, disconnected and went back to my list of server... to see with horror that my new server wasn't here, in the list. My deepest fear was confirmed : Windows 10 can't save your progression in Documents/Klei/DoNotStarveTogether, unless you launch the game in admin mode.

This problem wasn't here when I was playing with W7. I don't know if it's a new "access politics" from Windows 10 or just a problem within the game.

Nevertheless, if you encounter this saving problem, here the solution : just go in the Steam folder of Don't Starve :

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\dont_starve_together

And find the .exe. Right Clic -> Properties -> Run this program as admin in Compatibility tab.

The problem may happen on Don't Starve (single player), I haven't test it, but be carefull.

Thanks for reading, hope I helped some of you.

Sorry for the double post but I made my little investigation. The problem is Windows 10, not the game.

Current User and Admin are allowed to modify the folder, but Home Users can't. I think that's the problem.

So another solution, if you don't want to always launch your game in admin mode, is to go to the Documents folder, Right Clic -> Properties -> Security. And then, you have to make sur that all the Users listed are allowed to modify the directory (and sub directories).

To make sure that it worked, just run Don't Starve together, create a server, quit, and return into your list of Host Games. If it's there, congratulations, you did it !

Archived