Error: Server not responding, try yelling louder?

I'm running my own dedicated server in Linux and I get this error trying to connect to it from another PC.

I have my router port forwarded to the server:

post-679450-0-30431100-1436843128_thumb.

I make sure iptables is allowing the port:

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)target     prot opt source               destinationACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere             udp dpt:10999ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             tcp dpt:10999Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)target     prot opt source               destinationACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             tcp dpt:10999ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere             udp dpt:10999

I run the server:

1 uploads added to server. From server_temp
Telling Client our new session identifier: FFFFFFFF8BA8F07E
ModIndex: Load sequence finished successfully.
Reset() returning
[s_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; SteamAPI_IsSteamRunning() failed.
Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 343050
SteamGameServer_Init Success
SetLobbyGameServer 0

The server shows up in the server list, at least.

And still get that error. How do you resolve this error? What am I missing?

Hi @Zenoxio,

i don't think this error make problem for join your server

It is preventing anyone from connecting.

do you have try to change port of server DST for test? example 12000

Yes I have tried changing the port number, same error.

You say your server is being listed in the server browser, but that you can't connect to it.

You also seem to imply that the server is on your local LAN network, along with your client PC.

This sounds like a hair-pinning problem. Maybe your router does not support hair-pinning, which is pretty common for cheapo home routers.

A hair-pin route is when a router routes a packet back out the same logical interface it came in on.

Your client PC looks in the DST server directory and gets an IP address of your server. That IP address is a *public* internet address.

Your client then tries to connect to that *public* IP address and it fails because of the path the packets take. The packets go from your client PC to your default gateway, which is your router, and then your router is probably just dropping the packets, or it's failing to perform NAT properly in both directions, or your ACL does not match. There are many opportunities for things to go wrong here.

The only way to know for sure if this is your issue is to capture packets on your network as they come to/from the router.

If this is your problem, what you need to do is either put the server on another network (this is commonly called a "DMZ network", though it's a stupid term), or operate it in LAN mode.

Hair-pinning is something all routers *should* support, but often don't.

Yes I am a network engineer.

which is pretty common for cheapo home routers.

I hope my router is a pretty good brand: BUFFALO AirStation HighPower N300 Gigabit Wireless Router WZR-300HP

I have tried DMZ'ing it (the LAN IP the server is) as a last resort and same issue. The client (connecting from another PC) is saying Server Not Responding in DST.

I hope my router is a pretty good brand: BUFFALO AirStation HighPower N300 Gigabit Wireless Router WZR-300HP

I have tried DMZ'ing it (the LAN IP the server is) as a last resort and same issue. The client (connecting from another PC) is saying Server Not Responding in DST.

Here's the way to test if it's a hair-pinning issue:

If people off your LAN, like friends out on the internet, can join your server, and yet you on the same LAN as the server can not, then it's almost certainly a hair-pinning issue.

If nobody can join your server, even friends out on the internet, then it's something else. You could still have the hair-pinning problem, but something else is also amiss in that case.

If you have multiple network adapters, try disconnecting all but one. I had the same issue on Windows Server 2012 R2. Just resolved it by disabling my second LAN adapter. 

Like you, I had all my ports forwarded and properly configured (all 3 types of ports), but could not connect (same message pops out) regardless of LAN or WAN.

Archived