Adding custom sound effects to weapons

You can add a function to the spear's weapon component, but it only triggers when hitting something, not when slashing in the air.

local function OnAttack(inst)

inst.SoundEmitter:PlaySound("your/sound/path")

end

inst.components.weapon.onattack = OnAttack

from SGwilson.lua (player stategraph):

if weapon then
                inst.AnimState:PlayAnimation("atk")
                if weapon:HasTag("icestaff") then
                    inst.SoundEmitter:PlaySound("dontstarve/wilson/attack_icestaff")
                elseif weapon:HasTag("shadow") then
                    inst.SoundEmitter:PlaySound("dontstarve/wilson/attack_nightsword")
                elseif weapon:HasTag("firestaff") then
                    inst.SoundEmitter:PlaySound("dontstarve/wilson/attack_firestaff")
                else
                    inst.SoundEmitter:PlaySound("dontstarve/wilson/attack_weapon")
                end
            elseif otherequipped and (otherequipped:HasTag("light") or otherequipped:HasTag("nopunch")) then
                inst.AnimState:PlayAnimation("atk")
                inst.SoundEmitter:PlaySound("dontstarve/wilson/attack_weapon")
            else
                inst.sg.statemem.slow = true
                inst.AnimState:PlayAnimation("punch")
                inst.SoundEmitter:PlaySound("dontstarve/wilson/attack_whoosh")
            end

That's hard-coded, changing it would be complicated and cause problems with similiar mods. But the good news is: That code triggers from an event "doattack", which you can listen for without problem.

local function DoSound(owner)

--stuff

end

local function onequip(inst, owner) --you should have that function already

--[...]

inst:ListenForEvent("doattack",DoSound,owner) --listen for that event, then do that function, but listen for this guy and not for me

end

local function onunequip(inst, owner) --you should have that function already

--[...]

inst:RemoveEventCallback("doattack",DoSound,owner) --undo the listener

end

@theceruleanflash Adding to what Mobbstar said, you can try changing the stategraph too if you want.

local function SGWilsonPostInit(sg)	local old_AttackOnEnter = st.states.attack.onenter	st.states.attack.onenter = function(inst)			local weapon = inst.components.combat:GetWeapon()		if (weapon			and weapon.prefab == "your_prefab") then -- You can also use tags			inst.SoundEmitter:PlaySound("sound_path")		end				return old_AttackOnEnter(inst)	endendAddStategraphPostInit("wilson", SGWilsonPostInit)

inst.SoundEmitter:PlaySound("your/sound/path")

end

Is this separate from the code you listed below? If so, I would like to use this; I don't mind just having it make a sound when it hits. One more question: should this type of sound file be .fsb, and what directory should you suggest I place it in?

Thanks for the reply

Is this separate from the code you listed below? If so, I would like to use this; I don't mind just having it make a sound when it hits. One more question: should this type of sound file be .fsb, and what directory should you suggest I place it in?

Thanks for the reply

Yes, those for lines of code are the whole first method. You should place it (or at least the last line of it) under the line that adds the weapon component.

The sound path can be seen in Fmod (the programm you presumably used to make the sound file). If you are using game sounds, check the related prefabs/widgets/etc. or use the fmod event player to open the built sound file.

By the way, you load sound files with the "assets" table. Add those two lines:

Asset("SOUNDPACKAGE", "sound/mysound.fev"),

Asset("SOUND", "sound/mysound_bank00.fsb")

Hey, thanks for the help so far, but I've been having some trouble. When I used

local function OnAttack(inst)    inst.SoundEmitter:PlaySound("your/sound/path")end inst.components.weapon.onattack = OnAttack

it had crashed the game for me. In my log.txt, it says

variable 'inst' is not declared

This is probably a really easy fix and I'm just bad at this, but any help is appreciated

Nevermind, I had fixed the crash, but I can't seem to get the sound to work. Should the assets be in the modmain or the item lua file? (I was thinking this because for custom character sounds it's in the modmain)

I don't think the asset loading matters, because the game loads all assets anyways (unless you use simplex' memspike fix).

Post your code. Did you build the sound properly?

local assets={	Asset("ANIM", "anim/redlightsaber.zip"),	Asset("ANIM", "anim/swap_redlightsaber.zip"),	Asset("ATLAS", "images/inventoryimages/redlightsaber.xml"),		Asset("SOUNDPACKAGE", "sound/lightsaber.fev"),    Asset("SOUND", "sound/lightsaber.fsb"),	}local function onfinished(inst)    inst:Remove()endlocal function onequip(inst, owner)    owner.AnimState:OverrideSymbol("swap_object", "swap_redlightsaber", "swap_nightmaresword")    owner.AnimState:Show("ARM_carry")    owner.AnimState:Hide("ARM_normal")endlocal function onunequip(inst, owner)    owner.AnimState:Hide("ARM_carry")    owner.AnimState:Show("ARM_normal")end  local function fn(Sim)	local inst = CreateEntity()	local trans = inst.entity:AddTransform()	local anim = inst.entity:AddAnimState()	local sound = inst.entity:AddSoundEmitter()    MakeInventoryPhysics(inst)        inst.AnimState:SetBank("nightmaresword")    inst.AnimState:SetBuild("redlightsaber")    inst.AnimState:PlayAnimation("idle")        inst:AddTag("sharp")		inst:AddComponent("finiteuses")    inst.components.finiteuses:SetMaxUses(TUNING.NIGHTSWORD_USES*1.5)    inst.components.finiteuses:SetUses(TUNING.NIGHTSWORD_USES*1.5)    	inst:AddComponent("weapon")	inst.components.weapon:SetDamage(TUNING.SPEAR_DAMAGE * 2)            inst:AddComponent("inspectable")        inst:AddComponent("inventoryitem")	inst.components.inventoryitem.atlasname = "images/inventoryimages/redlightsaber.xml"        inst:AddComponent("equippable")    inst.components.equippable:SetOnEquip( onequip )    inst.components.equippable:SetOnUnequip( onunequip )        return instendlocal function OnAttack(inst)	inst.components.weapon.onattack = OnAttack    inst.SoundEmitter:PlaySound("lightsaber/lightsaber/attack") endreturn Prefab( "common/inventory/redlightsaber", fn, assets)

Thhis is my prefab for my weapon

Thhis is my prefab for my weapomn

You placed a line wrong:

inst:AddComponent("equippable")
    inst.components.equippable:SetOnEquip( onequip )
    inst.components.equippable:SetOnUnequip( onunequip )

return inst
end

inst.SoundEmitter:PlaySound("lightsaber/lightsaber/attack")

Archived