I think it's kind of ridiculous that players mainly join a server in autumn and sometimes spring when players should be able to join in any season and survive. You guys should be finding ways to keep player bases high in public servers, not low due to seasons. Maybe you could nerf some seasons or give us more ways of surviving them so people can even play during the harshest of all seasons.

Joining during winter is a coin toss, if you can get to saplings and grass quick enough, you make a torch.

And because of how long the trees burn, you can heat yourself while you look for flint.

However this makes other people joining, impossible, since you took the resources on your way.

It's not like King of Winter, you don't start with earmuffs or a thermal stone.

Summer is outright impossible to join on a day past 1, I have seen many servers go to 0 population during summer.

What can you do? Everything is withered, you can't get twigs, let alone flint, to go get nitre.

And there is no endothermic torch, but again, you can't make it, because saplings and grass are withered.

We will have to see what Klei does here. Summer is the harshest season and you have to prepare for it, and that makes it the harshest season: the high amount of preparation you need. Making the harshest of seasons viable to play when joining it in the middle just removes its title from it.

Maybe there needs to be a design shift from requiring preparation to requiring something else, but what is that else?

EDIT:

Check out the minifan prefab, the Whirly Fan in the Survival Tab.

3 twigs, 1 flower.

As long as you run with that equipped, your temperature will stay around 65 after the first days of summer.

So you won't reach 70 and overheat.

The question will be where to find twigs, with all withered, and where to find petals, with all flowers taken by noobs for sanity.

Check out the minifan prefab, the Whirly Fan in the Survival Tab.

3 twigs, 1 flower.

As long as you run with that equipped, your temperature will stay around 65 after the first days of summer.

So you won't reach 70 and overheat.

The question will be where to find twigs, with all withered, and where to find petals, with all flowers taken by noobs for sanity.

At least they're trying so that sounds good to me. These tiny attempts at least give me an idea of what the developers have on their mind. They really need to get us up to date with where DST is heading, because as of right now, I have no idea. I want to believe that they're going to push for a co-op/pvp game and not just singleplayer with friends, but the backlash from fans looks like halting the necessary changes we need for the game. A perfect example of that is the Willow changes, the developers need to stand their ground and make the game balanced for multiplayer like they said they were going to. Making all seasons survivable from day one, is part of balancing multiplayer.

Summer has to be tweaked. It's insanely stupid.

(repeated) suggestion:

1. less smoldering

2. not all twigs and grass are going to be withered and regrow even in summer

3. tumble weeds in all biomes, but not as much as in the desert

4. frog ponds should keep you cool like the lava ponds keep you warm. (and should cool you more then trees)

Just btw: the frog rain is currently the most freaking thing ever in DST. Please Klei stop raining so many frogs, even with 3 Wigfrids this are tooooooo much food. And where they are gone afterwards??? Just diseappering like the deerclops.

Archived