[Idea] How to make the beard MORE AWESOME!

PLEASE DON'T IGNORE THIS POST IF IT IS TOO LONG I HAVE INCLUDED A SUMMARY AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST SO PLEASE JUST READ THAT!!! (IT TOOK ME SO LONG TO WRITE LOL) :)

Hey guys,

I just had this idea but then realised there was a GREAT suggestion from Monkeyman discussing some of the things I wanted to say. So I believe this thread deserves another look for being the first to pioneer the idea.

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/showthread.php?4534-The-Beard

My suggestion revolves around the beard shavings being a key component to the meat effigy. Currently there is NO other use for the beard shavings apart from making the effigies. This is partly the reason why late game is so easy... you can put up a ton of effigies and you are practically invulnerable and will never die if you keep your head screwed on correctly.

In order to dissuade the creation of meat effigies the following should happen:

1) You should be limited to one effigy

2) There should be plenty of alternative AND VERY USEFUL applications for your beard hair

BOTH of the above are key. You can't just be limited to one meat effigy and not have alternative uses as players would just stockpile shavings and create another effigy once they use the current one. And you can't JUST have the alternative uses as surviving is paramount and people would use their first 3 or 4 sets of shavings to create PLENTY of effigies and then only start using it for the alternatives. With BOTH SUGGESTIONS the player will always look at all those shavings sitting in his stockpile as a waste of space (because we all reach a point in most games where we get slightly overconfident), he might use them then die (using his effigy) and, all of a sudden, he is in a risky situation where he might die permanently.

What could the alternative uses of the beard be?

You can use a MOUSTACHE crafting kit (new item) to create an amazing MOUSTACHE! It would slow down the rate at which sanity is lost. You would be required to maintain the MOUSTACHE by crafting it every couple of days. Shaving your MOUSTACHE should give you MINIMAL beard shavings (like 1 or 2) BUT a player could let the MOUSTACHE grow wild again which makes it into an elderly beard in 10-13 days (following the same beard progressions that are currently in place).

Why not go CRAZY and include a whole host of different MOUSTACHES that you can craft that provide status effect bonuses (like the hats currently do)? Imagine a "VIKING BEARD" that reduces incoming damage (much like a logsuit and football helmet).

post-6263-13764589935646_thumb.jpg

This would be definitely make the player think twice on the decision to shave the beard for the effigy or create a MOUSTACHE for the bonuses!

Other suggestions:

• A constant effect bonus for keeping just a normal beard (like a slight reduction to hunger since you always find leftover pieces of food in your beard).
  • Make it such that werepigs don't attack you out of fear if your beard has reached elderly stage.
  • Recipe uses for the beard (maybe as an antidote if poison ever gets introduced) or crafting uses for items that are useful (maybe for the bug net, or future items)

Any other ideas? I believe this idea could lead to more deaths due to the one meat effigy limit and the many other alternative uses for the beard + beard shavings. There should also be ways for you to lose your beard (either through fire or other means... but I won't discuss it here since the post I linked to earlier had some awesome ideas).

THE SUMMARY I PROMISED EARLIER!!!

• You are limited to one meat effigy.
  • You can craft your beard into a moustache that makes you lose sanity at a slower rate.
  • There are a whole host of moustache styles that provide bonuses in much the same way hats do. LIKE A VIKING BEARD!!! WHO DOESN'T WANT A VIKING BEARD!!!
  • Beard shavings have alternative uses in recipes for items.
  • There should be ways for you to lose your beard.

Tell me what you think! :)

LOL?! Sorry Artem but I'm not understanding your comment mate :)

Do you LIKE the idea? Or do you think it wouldn't be a good fit for the game?

I (obviously) think it's a great idea as it partly addresses the current Meat Effigy party that Don't Starve becomes. The game loses any challenge once you create 10+ effigies and are practically invulnerable within your base. Plus the use of the beard to create a moustache is pretty cool no? With the status effects etc.

I guess that I was just hoping for more feedback? :)

LOL?! Sorry Artem but I'm not understanding your comment mate :)

Do you LIKE the idea? Or do you think it wouldn't be a good fit for the game?

I (obviously) think it's a great idea as it partly addresses the current Meat Effigy party that Don't Starve becomes. The game loses any challenge once you create 10+ effigies and are practically invulnerable within your base. Plus the use of the beard to create a moustache is pretty cool no? With the status effects etc.

I guess that I was just hoping for more feedback? :)

Haha! Nah, I like it! I just thought it was a joke, lol! :D

— You are limited to one meat effigy.

— Beard shavings have alternative uses in recipes for items.

These are fine :)