What is happening here?

I purchased Don't Starve some time ago, a few years back in fact, and the June 3rd DST release came out.  Ever since a few months ago (I don't recall exactly when it started happening), launching Don't Starve has told me that I will have to copy and paste a key when the game asks me to.

Today, I noticed DST was in my steam library and available for download.  I've donwloaded it, but it wants me to register or purchase this game, it's not asking me for somewhere to put a key.  I've been led to believe that this game is free to me, did something mess up in the DST installation where it doesn't correctly detect and register an existing Don't Starve installation and starts asking to be registered or purchased?  It seems to have stopped asking about the registration, but I'm still curious as to why this happened at all.

Am I even supposed to install a key anywhere for DST?  If so, how would I go about verifying if the automatic installation thorugh Steam has already done this for me, and whether it's been done correctly?

I tried a new map in Don't Starve, however, there were no new map features that even looked remotely like RoG or DST content.

I'm not sure if I should try a map through the DST icon installed on my desktop but launching it shows the main title screen and everything looks okay from there.  I just am not sure if this game expansion or addon has been properly installed and I don't like running into issues I have not a clue about the reasons as to why they are what they are or will be.

Any and all advice greatly appreciated!

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

I'm not sure if I should try a map through the DST icon installed on my desktop but launching it shows the main title screen and everything looks okay from there. I just am not sure if this game expansion or addon has been properly installed and I don't like running into issues I have not a clue about the reasons as to why they are what they are or will be.

You have to launch the game from the DST icon. They're completely separate games.

From what I recall, when you first launch DST, it will ask you to register for something. You're not paying again for the game. Klei will just send you an activation email, then you're free to launch the DST game again and connect to the servers.

The title screens look similar but clicking on Play in the DST app will lead you to a list of available servers instead of the usual Choose a Slot/Character one in single player.

post-558166-0-21470600-1433504827_thumb.

Okay, looks like I finally figured this out, it's up and now I'm browsing the list of servers.  I'm looking for people who are new to RoG themselves but have basic knoledge covered, like how to build basic tools and gather resources.  I'm looking to work this game through my game controller, a Logitech gamepad F310 but I'm still relatively new to it so I guess I'll wander off to the DST games section and see if anyone wants to start a new game session with experimenting in mind.  ;)

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

Archived