Lagy host over LAN

I play with my girlfriend on the same wifi, and we're set up on a LAN server with just the 2 of us. However, I can't seem to understand why the non host is showing 20 ping, and the host is always labeled as BAD HOST. The host doesn't show any signs of lag at all and for the other, it's unplayable. At first I just thought it was the wifi pooping out, however the non is host showing 20 ping. I was under the impression that value is pretty dandy, so why does the host have bad ping even though it's the same wifi?

Thank you to anyone who can shed some light on this situation or point me in the right direction.

post-645589-0-00312700-1432661255_thumb.

What are the host's computer specs and are there a lot of programs running relative to the capacity they can be ran without seeing the performance of the computer decrease?

AKA - an underperforming computer can also contribute to a crappy player experience even if the internet connection is superb.

Thank you for the reply!

Both of the computers are able to handle Don't Starve in terms of FPS, for example they could both run the single player game without any problem. I'm fairly certain it's something related to the connection, as whenever the lag comes, I get the disconnecting sign at the top left corner.

Computer #1:

Intel HD Graphics

4GB of Memory

Computer #2(Main Server Host):

Nividia Geforce 760m

12GB Memory

Just tried again while at a relatives place who has insane internet, download speed is around 5mb/s. And I still get unplayable lag and disconnects on the server. I really don't know what's going :(

If 5Mb/s was insane, I'd go insane. I get 66 Mb/s. Anyway, the only common denominator I see is your computer, unless you're using your relative's computer. One of you has integrated graphics which I definitely can't see helping your case. The normal host - what is his CPU? That has a lot to do with it too.

Ah man, that sounds amazing! I couldn't imagine having internet like that tbh, always lived out of town. But, the normal host has an i7 quad processor running 2,20 GHz with each(Intel Core i7-4702Mq). The other also has a quad processor (i5), but only 1,87 GHz. Right now i'm trying to look if the windows driver updates grabbed the wrong one for my WiFi software. Also, a weird thing I noticed while trying to play was that the computer that was lagging seemed to be about 15 seconds behind the stable host. Any actions I made would show up instantly on the host's screen, but would just seem to never happen on the other's, until I just lag out and get disconnected.

Ah man, that sounds amazing! I couldn't imagine having internet like that tbh, always lived out of town. But, the normal host has an i7 quad processor running 2,20 GHz with each(Intel Core i7-4702Mq). The other also has a quad processor (i5), but only 1,87 GHz. Right now i'm trying to look if the windows driver updates grabbed the wrong one for my WiFi software. Also, a weird thing I noticed while trying to play was that the computer that was lagging seemed to be about 15 seconds behind the stable host. Any actions I made would show up instantly on the host's screen, but would just seem to never happen on the other's, until I just lag out and get disconnected.

Hmm, have you tried asking someone you don't know personally, like from your steam friends, to join your server?

Also, can you two play the game just fine if you join a random multiplayer DST server from the server list in-game?

It's starting to seem like the computers are just not powerful enough to host. If that's the case, a higher speed internet connection won't do a lick of good. Make sure no programs are running on the host's computer other than necessary. That might not do enough help, but it doesn't hurt to try.

@Toastkitten, your problem is the host CPU isn't clocked fast enough to keep up with the processing power needed. Unfortunately 2.2 ghz in this day and age is kinda slow and since DST uses LUA it's mostly single threaded which means that it's not taking advantages of the multiple processing cores. You could try pushing it into turbo drive which ramps it up to 3.2 ghz, but unless you're computer savvy that might be out of the question.

Hmm, have you tried asking someone you don't know personally, like from your steam friends, to join your server?

Also, can you two play the game just fine if you join a random multiplayer DST server from the server list in-game?

It's starting to seem like the computers are just not powerful enough to host. If that's the case, a higher speed internet connection won't do a lick of good. Make sure no programs are running on the host's computer other than necessary. That might not do enough help, but it doesn't hurt to try.

I tried having us play on a random server, and the #2 computer seemed to run fine, maintaining around 40 ping. But the other computer started off with around 800 ping and stayed that way, I didn't really want to cause any problems for the server's main players though, so I didn't stick around to see if it would change. The bad computer definitely is quite sub-par, i agree, but I didn't think that a lack of CPU would show so much in the ping I have?

@Toastkitten, your problem is the host CPU isn't clocked fast enough to keep up with the processing power needed. Unfortunately 2.2 ghz in this day and age is kinda slow and since DST uses LUA it's mostly single threaded which means that it's not taking advantages of the multiple processing cores. You could try pushing it into turbo drive which ramps it up to 3.2 ghz, but unless you're computer savvy that might be out of the question.

Ah that sucks about it only using one core at a time. Is there any way to modify it so the game utilzes more than one (I know that's really a longshot)? And I don't know if I wanna try overclocking either of the computers, it's pretty hot over here at the moment, and I don't think they could handle the heat.

Thank you for the helpful replys!!!

Archived