Looking for grammatically-competent people!

I ran an experiment back a few months ago where we required everyone to type with perfect grammar -- Capitals, periods, spelling and so on. The server was set to allow twelve people, no password set, default spawns, Huge world, Wilderness mode, and truly no other rules than "type like an adult".

It worked. Twelve people, total success. Multiple bases established even by players with under ten hours of experience. No social collapse after someone said something they shouldn't have.

The current working theory is that people who are more careful about how they type will also be more careful about what they say and do, so very little moderation is required. It's not that the server was underpopulated; it got /full/, and we still had total cooperation.

I'd like to do this again, but I wanna make it interesting.. So far, I've been able to get a Shadow Manipulator up in 13 days. I could've had it at 11 if I didn't chicken out and not let myself go insane earlier at one point. This is on an unmodded server with defaults set on everything, playing as Wilson.

I want to try and get a Manipulator up in a /day/. I think it's possible if everyone spawns just right. It'll definitely be a tricky thing, but if we get about a half-dozen people who all know what they're doing, it might work. At the very least, having it under three days is definitely doable!

Getting to this point will take practice; there'll obviously be no time to explain what everyone's role is in a pick-up game, so I need people who will stick around and keep doing their part. At the very least, I imagine these roles:

• Pick grass and twigs, make traps, get four rabbits.
  • Whack at spiders until there's six silk and an abundance of monster meat. Whoever's doing this also needs to eat it uncooked to go insane faster, unless we get lucky and find a few green caps.
  • Another person needs to go insane at the same time. (One person only gets about ten nightmare fuel per day, and it'll probably be more than halfway over by the time nightmares start spawning.)
  • Run around and chop as many trees as possible to get boards and stuff. Look for some Totally Normal Trees, too! (Since Treeguards won't spawn before day four, these are the only way to get them.)
  • Find a rocky biome and get seven gold (five?) along with a bunch of rocks.
  • Find a graveyard or a fifteen-grave setpiece and dig until the requires gems come up.
  • (Optional) -- Have someone run around and map the area, leaving little assorted drops as landmarks to help players meet up again once everything's collected. (Wilderness mode's pretty much a requirement considering how diverse the tasks are.)

Food isn't a requirement since people only loose 75 a day.

So, anyone wanna give this a shot?

I'm interested by this, though keep in consideration that there should be a wigfrid player who digs up the graves to go insane and/or eat raw monster meat.

Wigfrid happens to be one of my favorite characters.

I'm not an english native, so i'm not sure if you're just setting up a different experiment, or still want to upkeep the grammar thing. Since my grammar is far from optimal.

I think its possible, but you need enough silk for the prestihatitator and enough bunnies which may be very tricky in the short period of day.

Your grammar seems okay. The main thing I'm looking for are "people who aren't so lazy that they won't put capitals and periods in their proper places" -- People who had to learn a second language are obviously anything but lazy!

The shadow manipulator goal is separate from good grammar and I can run two servers at once without issue, but both on the same server'd be heavily preferred.

What's special about Wigfrid? Does she have crazy-low sanity or something? I only played her a few times and barely remember anything. x.x...

Run around and chop as many trees as possible to get boards and stuff. Look for some Totally Normal Trees, too! (Since Treeguards won't spawn before day four, these are the only way to get them.)
I'd also recommend looking specially on the "dark-ish forest" biomes, as Totally normal trees are much more common there, as well as spiders. 

Archived