Caves implementation ideas

A good thought was to have the worlds generate upon the cave being entered, like in the single player. Not sure why this causes a lot of problems though. If this isn't possible, then if all the caves and the overworld are generated at the same time, that might be more simple... however, there's the problem of Teleportato in that case, as well as Adventure mode. Voting system would suck. A new player comes in to find themselves in caves, molestered by a Depth worm or a Spider queen!

I have no friggin clue how adventure could ever work unless the server reboots itself AND saves old world data or there is a server mode for said adventures.

Also, silly question, I know its possible to make separate landmasses (I've been trolled by a wormhole sending me to swamp island before); I was wondering is it possible to have different generation behavior on one landmass compared to the other? If that's the case, you could just have 3 landmasses side by side to do caves and ruins, the only issue of course being the day/weather/season cycle...

Archived