What does Characterspecific.lua do?

So I was gonna do some testing with my custom character in the DST RoG beta, but in that beta the characterspecific.lua file isn't there anymore.

I only know this because when I load my character I get a crash telling me that, problem is I don't actually know what it's doing to figure out why it's causing my character to crash.

It's only for one of my characters but I've been trying to figure out exactly where in the script is breaking it so I can fix it.  

I've tried commenting out all of my characters perks and special details but it's still happening and I was wondering if anyone had a clue.

So I was gonna do some testing with my custom character in the DST RoG beta, but in that beta the characterspecific.lua file isn't there anymore.

I only know this because when I load my character I get a crash telling me that, problem is I don't actually know what it's doing to figure out why it's causing my character to crash.

It's only for one of my characters but I've been trying to figure out exactly where in the script is breaking it so I can fix it.  

I've tried commenting out all of my characters perks and special details but it's still happening and I was wondering if anyone had a clue.

You need to remove the character specific component code from your custom items.

You need to remove the character specific component code from your custom items.

I just found it when I removed my characters starting custom item in a test.  I appreciate the help though because I was trying to find it for a bit.

Thanks

I just found it when I removed my characters starting custom item in a test.  I appreciate the help though because I was trying to find it for a bit.

Thanks

If you want to use character specific items in the DST: RoG branch you will need to use this tutorial to make it work.

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/files/file/1138-dst-character-specific-items/

Yeah it seemed that way, I essentially just commented it out once I realized I didn't need it for making my item character specific.  It's just when my character loaded up instead of getting the normal error in one of my files pointing directly to where the issue was, I got one from a really old copy/paste of maxwell's book trying to reference a file that klei removed.  So instead of telling me which of MY files was causing the problem, it was telling me which of THEIR files was causing the problem, so I essentially had to do some cleaning of old unused code but I had to figure out what was being used.  

The reason it took me so long is because I haven't edited my custom item in practically forever, and loading my character on the RoG beta brought up the conflict my old code had.  So the first place Iooked were the files I edited recently, as opposed to the files that had been collecting dust for a while.

After a bit of testing I realized the crash happened when I loaded in my custom item, and I essentially saw the code almost immediately and fixed it.

It's really nice when I return to old code and make it better with what I've learned.  

Edited by Zackreaver