More Renewable Tallbirds?

The biome that Tallbirds currently spawn in is a very hazardous one and they can potentially be killed off by meteor showers.

I'm not sure if their nests/eggs are damaged by meteors, but the tallbirds themselves definitely can.

The rocky biomes they live in are, as it stands, incredibly dangerous for them. They can be surrounded by spiders, hit by meteors, and easily eradicated entirely by players who kill them and take their eggs.

@Chesska
The nest won't vanish naturally, but one player with a torch burning the nests is enough to wipe them out.
So yeah, I agree, they should be renewable.
I have an idea for that:
Tallbirds raise babies in RoG, so maybe when said smallbird is grown up, the game checks the amount of nests
in the world and if there's only a small amount of nests it will build a new one.

@Chesska

The nest won't vanish naturally, but one player with a torch burning the nests is enough to wipe them out.

So yeah, I agree, they should be renewable.

I have an idea for that:

Tallbirds raise babies in RoG, so maybe when said smallbird is grown up, the game checks the amount of nests

in the world and if there's only a small amount of nests it will build a new one.

yep. yep. yep

And raising a tallbird is mostly just a challenge without any reward besides posting your screenshot and say "everybody look, I just hatched a smallbird".

Why not make it more useful so that raising a tallbird is more interesting, for example, building a new nest?

This is weird: if a grown tallbird can't build a nest, then where does it sleep, and how did the nests come about?

Would love to see some more love for both how tallbirds cycle functions -> nest building or maintaining an existing nest and raising tallbirds being a bit more involved and interesting.

Something that might borrow some realistic hints such as playing and training a child tallbird will eventually make it friendly.  The more care and love you put into the raising process the more loyal the bird gets.  With enough care, the bird could make the camp (firepit) its home and protect your base from unwelcome guests.  If you were a reckless owner, on the other hand, when the tallbird grows it will swear vengeance against he who brought it to this hellhole and mark that player as Kill on Sight.

I don't know, all of that would probably be a bit too much to script but would be interesting to see some more involvement with raising tallbirds and maybe just pets in general.  It would be a wonderful direction to take the game in, in addition to plantations one could also invest in raising pets or cattle.

Archived