Thinking of starting my own Dedicated Server. Mod suggestions?

The base game is enjoyable all on its own, sure, but there are some things that I find are just nuisences. Things not stacking consistantly, the "chest" slot is still, in my opinion and many others', pretty lame, you can only see other players from a very short distance, etc.

So, since I am planning on modding the ever lovin' out of my server, which mods do you folks recommend? Please bear in mind that I'm not asking about character mods. I'll probably grab a good ten or so of them and call it done. Ten that I think are neat, obviously.

Oh, and I'm going to politely ask that you please do not come here just to say, "Mods are stupid, you are stupid, and everything you believe in is stupid," or anything rude like that. If mods bother you, then I hope you're happy on a server that doesn't have any. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I'm asking politely for that one to be kept to oneself.

Thanks for your time!

~Vertria

you can only see other players from a very short distance

Global Positions. It adds global player icons, signal fires, very basic map sharing (to the extent that it's currently possible), and options for making the indicators on the edge of the screen stick around permanently.

If you're making it a public dedicated server, I'd recommend Simple Protection, it helps a lot with griefing.

Extended Map Generation will generate cave and ruins content on the surface, which can freshen up the experience a bit.

@Vertria, my list of mods to recommend:

Additional Set Pieces will bring more challenges to your world.

Breakable Ice will allow you to fish during winter with the balance trade off of having to wait until the ice thaws during summer to fish.

Diggable Reeds allows you to dig up reeds and plant them anywhere on swamp turf.

Dynamic Season Length creates a unique play through the game by selecting a random season length at the start of every season.

Welcome Message allows you to display a custom message to players whom join your server.

You can subscribe to my collection if you are interested (or copy it in your own): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=399837625

Then add line below in dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua :

ServerModCollectionSetup("399837625")

Also, don't forget to enable mods by adding below lines in modoverrides.lua :

return {    ["workshop-394612159"] = { enabled = true }, -- Auto ReTrap    ["workshop-361994110"] = { enabled = true }, -- Bee Nice    ["workshop-396747046"] = { enabled = true }, -- Craftable Killer Beehive    ["workshop-394654739"] = { enabled = true }, -- Craftable Tentacle Spike    ["workshop-375850593"] = { enabled = true }, -- Extra Equip Slots    ["workshop-378160973"] = { enabled = true }, -- Global Positions    ["workshop-375859599"] = { enabled = true }, -- Health Info    ["workshop-396026892"] = { enabled = true }, -- Large Chest    ["workshop-356420397"] = { enabled = true }, -- No More Respawn Penalty    ["workshop-356398534"] = { enabled = true }, -- DST PickyPickyPicky    ["workshop-395433621"] = { enabled = true }, -- Rabbit Nest    ["workshop-365119238"] = { enabled = true }, -- Smarter Crock Pot    ["workshop-396822875"] = { enabled = true }, -- Spike Trap    ["workshop-382363357"] = { enabled = true }, -- Useless Junk    ["workshop-362175979"] = { enabled = true }, -- Wormhole Marks [DST]    ["workshop-380423963"] = { enabled = true }, -- Mineable Gems}

Best regards,

Woah. First, I'd like to thank you all for your suggestions. d^-^b Then I'd like to apologize for not getting back to you lot sooner.

Though there were mods I had already planned getting suggested, that's perfectly okay. The see everyone in the world mod being one example.

Anyway, thanks again for your suggestions, and if anyone else has any then I'll gladly listen and weigh the option. :3

Mods are stupid, you are stupid, and everything you believe in is stupid.

Just kidding xD. Since RoG has come out, there's just two character mods I'd recommend, which are the More DST characters mod (adds Maxwell and Wes into DST) and Woody for DST (obviously adds Woody to DST). That way you'll have all original DS characters on your server. Good luck on starting your own dedicated server ;)

PS first I read as if the title said that you want to starve your own dedicated server xD

Mods are stupid, you are stupid, and everything you believe in is stupid.

Just kidding xD. Since RoG has come out, there's just two character mods I'd recommend, which are the More DST characters mod (adds Maxwell and Wes into DST) and Woody for DST (obviously adds Woody to DST). That way you'll have all original DS characters on your server. Good luck on starting your own dedicated server ;)

PS first I read as if the title said that you want to starve your own dedicated server xD

Har har har. :p

I dunno how many characters I have in the list I made, but I know there's quite a few of them. xD My goal is to not have two of the same character running around at once... but who knows what will happen, right?

Oh, and if anyone can take the time to go through the collection I just made and do the LUA files thingy for me, I would greatly appreciate it... and am willing to compensate you for your time.

Here be the link for it: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=411131555

Be warned, there's 60 mods in that mess. >_> After it gets up and running is when I'ma be testing if there's lag of some kind on my end and then booting mods off my list I can live without. I shouldn't have any problems, though; my computer is pretty high end and I'm connected to the Internet through a T1 line. So, yeah, I shouldn't run into any issues on my end, but who knows?

I suggest one mod, not too many mods because your server will break. I ran with 60+ mods and the lag was immense and some people couldn't even join. So based around 30 is fine.

Well, like I said, I'm running on a high-powered computer and connected via a T1 fiber optic line. I would go into details about the computer I have, but that would just seem like bragging on my part.

I also said that if the lag does turn out to be intense I will start booting mods off the list.

Archived