[Flapjack!] need mentor for questions about advanced character creation

RedRock911

Hey there!

I ran into a few snags during my mod creation, mostly because of lack experience. Well, I need a push to get the mod live. A lot has to do with a misunderstanding on my part about functions, prefabs and behaviors. I am pretty much finished with the mod itself (artwork 80% done! basic scripts finished! etc.)

But I need someone I can learn from. Many forum posts have been helping me, but I occasionally hit walls and I don't exactly want to make those walls public.

If your interested, Please send me a pm, I'll tell you about the mod, and the direction I'm taking it, and where I am at with it. I don't need much help, with smaller things (like item creation) that I can look up myself.

In short, I need an experienced friend I can ask after I've spent more then 48 hours working on the same step.

Thank you for at least reading!

Flapjack as in the kid who livesarrow-10x10.png in a whales mouth? :0

That's the one! I have his basics finished, just not released. I've worked on his art assets for him, his body, and some other goodies to go along with the mod (for about 1 1/2 months or so now.), BUT as i'm sure you have been dealing with, I'm stumbling on code.

But that's going to change as my experience increases. However, I want to get him pushed for release, so i'm looking for some help. I have 3 other character projects I am working on. The final one being my own  DS character, which I really want to get to. After I make my own toon, I plan on either aiding in some of the collabs that are going around, or starting my own (which i've already began making assets for)

If your interested in any of those let me know, even if it's something simple, I can use help on all levels, as far as my other projects go. (besides, If I eventually want to make my own DS world edition, I need to start getting a list of modders together anyhow to ask. Just let me know what you can do

That's the one! I have his basics finished, just not released. I've worked on his art assets for him, his body, and some other goodies to go along with the mod (for about 1 1/2 months or so now.), BUT as i'm sure you have been dealing with, I'm stumbling on code.

But that's going to change as my experience increases. However, I want to get him pushed for release, so i'm looking for some help. I have 3 other character projects I am working on. The final one being my own DS character, which I really want to get to. After I make my own toon, I plan on either aiding in some of the collabs that are going around, or starting my own (which i've already began making assets for)

If your interested in any of those let me know, even if it's something simple, I can use help on all levels, as far as my other projects go. (besides, If I eventually want to make my own DS world edition, I need to start getting a list of modders together anyhow to ask. Just let me know what you can do

What do you need help with? (for this one)

Send me a pm and I'll tell you about the mod, and what step I'm currently working on. Mostly, I need help when I hit learning walls (not having enough experience to know the right path) So I need help with basic questions, or someone to look at my scripts, when they don't fire off for 48 hours, or I haven't been able to find an answer through research.

Trying to grab a mentor will usually just waste time. Everyones time.  Your time and their time.   You have to wait for this one person to respond when you have a problem.  They have all your problems on them.

That utterly defeats the point of a forum.

Ask questions publically.  Everyone who knows the answer has an opportunity to respond.  Responces thus have a chance to come quicker and from multiple view points.

Trying to grab a mentor will usually just waste time. Everyones time.  Your time and their time.   You have to wait for this one person to respond when you have a problem.  They have all your problems on them.

That utterly defeats the point of a forum.

Ask questions publically.  Everyone who knows the answer has an opportunity to respond.  Responces thus have a chance to come quicker and from multiple view points.

Generally, I  would completely agree with you, but in this case I'd like to keep it somewhat private. And I do post a lot of my woes public.

I have a few people willing to help, anything too public, I feel I can research the answer.

My lantern for example, it's like a lamp project in shop class, easiest thing, light wont come on (of coursearrow-10x10.png after researching it, I never made any artwork for the "ON" portion of the project. But found I needed to opening up .bin files. that and adding some components via the forums)

But I need to resolve some issues before I move on. But because this involves actually handing over my mod files,  I wanted to keep it somewhat private.

So yes of coursearrow-10x10.png if I have general modding questions, Absolutely the forums! 

Waiting is fine in this case, I work approx 12 hours a day, (5:00-5:00 CST) and come home and work on the project. for the last two days i've been researching and troubleshooting (And I know I've seen a post similar to my issue somewhere) So waiting gives me time to learn the answer, If a Mentor can pm me, just a link for instance, of an issue. I'll read the link, applyarrow-10x10.png it, and let him/her know the results. Or if he can explain the wheres and why certain aspects are broken, what I did wrong. Etc.

OMG look at all the typing you made me do! 

if line = respect then
    -- praise
else
    -- other stuff
end

see? now i'm trying to make script jokes

OMG look at all the typing you made me do! 

if line = respect then
    -- praise
else
    -- other stuff
end

see? now i'm trying to make script jokes

I'd like to point out that script will error. You can't set variables in if statements. :-P

Archived