Tips/Strategies for characters?

Okay, so after my day 127 world was abruptly erased by a red butt mothertrucker (more details below) I am currently looking for a new character to play.

For those long 127 days... (All this work gone, I think Im gonna cry.) I was playing as Webber and even if he is up to this day my favorite character I'm getting kind of bored of him and would like to try someone new. I never really played anyone else for more than 50 days so I am quite unfamiliar with all the other characters. I looked them up on the wikia and know what they do (for the most part.) I was wondering if you beautiful forum peeps had tips for me on particular characters, for example where to build your base as Wifgrid to get a year long meat supply or how to fight the giants with particular characters. 

Now to how my long journey ended unexpectedly

So I was coming back from my first sucessful cave run ever, and my sanity was at an all time low from caving/fighting clockworks. (I did bring a 20 cave spider army with me but they all got 1 shot killed by a rook.) I was so busy messing with my new gear teleporting around like a lunatic and equiping my new thelucite gear then unequiping it to be able to wear my sanity items. (Hibearnation vest, Tam O' Chanter etc.) That I forgot about red butt season. So here I am having a jolly time with my brand new hard-earned gear with extremely low health and I walk inside a beefalo herd. Needless to say I died. Tried to close my tab before it saved but failed that too. fml

Hmm... I can't write an in-depth guide, but I have this current playthrough with Wigfrid that's survived 3 years in-game already. At first, due to combination of bad luck + bad planning, I ended up camping in a rock biome. But I just moved two spider nests near the camp and made a bird cage and it's turned out well so far.

Every morning, I'd drop by the nests and whack a couple of spiders for food + health + sanity. That, and the occasional koalefant means I've never starved at all using Wigfrid. BTW, there's also a beebox I keep forgetting to harvest. LOL. You can definitely do better with more planning with her.

TL;DR: Wigfrid can camp anywhere, as long as you have a couple of spider nests + a bird cage.

PS I had another long playthrough with Wigfrid camping beside a Tallbird fort. But don't tell weirdobob.

Hmm... I can't write an in-depth guide, but I have this current playthrough with Wigfrid that's survived 3 years in-game already. At first, due to combination of bad luck + bad planning, I ended up camping in a rock biome. But I just moved two spider nests near the camp and made a bird cage and it's turned out well so far.

Every morning, I'd drop by the nests and whack a couple of spiders for food + health + sanity. That, and the occasional koalefant means I've never starved at all using Wigfrid. BTW, there's also a beebox I keep forgetting to harvest. LOL. You can definitely do better with more planning with her.

TL;DR: Wigfrid can camp anywhere, as long as you have a couple of spider nests + a bird cage.

PS I had another long playthrough with Wigfrid camping beside a Tallbird fort. But don't tell weirdobob.

Alright, so I guess trying to find a tallbird nest set piece would be my best bet? Not a fan of spider farms because of how they turn into queens at tier 3 and just walk away from where you planted them. And dealing with them before they turn into queens is actually quite hard.

Actually, with Wigfrid, since you'll need the meat to eat, you'll be going after Spider nests fairly constantly, thus usually killing them the moment they turn into a Tier 3.  Not much of a chance for Spider Queens that way.  She's unique in that regard.  Does more damage + gains sanity and food by killing spiders = much easier time spider farming than any other character.

Next up?  Maybe try WX-78?  He's very different.  Starts out fairly weak, but if you make finding gears a priority, you can usually get those first 5 or 10 gears eatten and buff his stats fairly early.  My suggestion is to plan on your first World being just a setup world and plan to move to World 2 for a longer stay.  This way, you only need to "waste" a couple of gears on Iceboxes and save the rest for yourself.  Since gears are going to be near the Wooden Thing anyway, you'll already be looking for it.  Let the Rook blow apart the rest of the clockwork dudes, and steal their gears.   maybe get super, duper lucky (like my most recent game) and get a couple of treeguards near the Wooden Thing and kite them over.  Let them fight the Rook for you and get more gears.  (Usually, I just take the Knights / Bishops and dodge the Rook.)  This way, when you head to World 2, you will already have plenty of gears eatten and can focus on the rest of the game.  Eating 5 gears moves WX into "normal" stat territory.  Eating 10 is really good.  If you can max out and eat 15, your stats are super duper.  400 hp / 200 hunger.  Sure, it takes a lot to fill your robot belly, but it just means you can go that much longer between meals.  :)

Woodie:  I've asked for Woodie strategies before.  I like Woodie.  He's hilarious. But, you really, really, REALLY need to have solid strategies for Sanity.  Sanity management is huge since you'll be [sECRET TIME] each full moon whether you want to or not.  But when [sECRET TIME], you can fight any mob, any time, any where.  He's such a monster in that regard.  :)

Wendy is probably my personal favorite.  Having her sister Abigail with her is such a fun part of the game.  In fact, I find myself talking to Abigail during the game.  I'm not weird, am I?  But I'll say stuff like, "Abigail, I think we're going to go caving today."  Or "Abigail, don't bother that treeguard.  No, Abigail, NO!  DON'T.  .... Damnit, Abigail."    I guess I should point out that here is where her downside is.  Sometimes Abigail picks fights when you don't want her to.  Walking back to your firepit because you are low on hunger?  Abigail thinks this is the perfect time to facetank Beefalo for no good reason.  Happen to anger a Treeguard?  Abigail is like a dog with a bone and she won't give up the fight until she's dead.  Managing Abigail is half the game.  [There's a mod that supposedly keeps Abigail closer to you instead of falling far behind, which helps with her picking fights while offscreen and out of your view.  I have not tried it yet, but am considering it.]  One nice thing about Abigail?  She can fight.  Like, don't worry about spiders.  Abigail can just about take on full spider nets by herself.  Sure, you'll want to help out.  But she's beastmode at night on some spiders.  I like Wendy a lot, and having a companion while playing adds a whole 'nother element.  :)

Let the Rook blow apart the rest of the clockwork dudes

Rooks damage clockworks? This would have saved me so much time and effort... Oh well glad I know about it now!

I might go for a WX playthrough since I never tried him, but since he gets damaged by rain how the hell do you deal with spring when It's raining non-stop all the time? I mean does wearing rain-protection gear negate the health damage completely?

I think Woodie is a cool and funny character but I can't see myself playing him for more than 100 days. And can't you skip the full moon by sleeping in a tent or a sleeproll at dusk?

As for Wendy she seems decent I'd have to go look up her and Abigails stats then who knows, maybe I'll try her out. Thanks for the tips!  :lemo:

I mean does wearing rain-protection gear negate the health damage completely?

If you happen to have Deerclops eyes from Winter, an eyebrella would do this. And it leaves your hands free for a weapon. :D You can repair the eyebrella with a sewing kit instead of waiting for next Winter for another eye.

Yeah Eyebrella is super good for WX.  But even without it, a simple grass hat and regular umbrella work to mitigate most of it.  After a while though, the damage is minimal compared to your total health pool since it gets so large.

Archived