For a starting Inventory with custom items

so i made a few items for the mod i have been working on.

in my prefab, do I do this?

local start_inv = {
"myitem", "myotheritem"
}

or this?

local start_inv = {
"myitem_prefab","myitem_prefab"
}

I'm using danaadams "link" as a case study (which is an AMAZING work of art btw). If I know these are items I want my character to have for the mod, Do I add all associated files (exported, modmain,etc) all into the adjacent mod folder? or is their another way to do it? 

You list the prefabs you want your guy to have in that table. That means the first method you posted would give the guy a "myitem" and a "myotheritem", whilst the second one would result in two "myitem_prefab"s.

Of course, if you don't pick a prefab already in the game, you have to make a working item in the first place before you can put it as a starter item.

Of course, if you don't pick a prefab already in the game, you have to make a working item in the first place before you can put it as a starter item.

That's what I have, a lantern (WIP), and another item (WIP) 

So I have made them. 

I am mostly just testing now, so I could just do the "DebugSpawn ("myitem") in the console window, but I figured, "why not just have him start with the items i created?"

and do I need to put anything underneath "local prefabs?"

local start_inv = {

"myitem", "myotheritem"
}

I'm using danaadams "link" as a case study (which is an AMAZING work of art btw). If I know these are items I want my character to have for the mod, Do I add all associated files (exported, modmain,etc) all into the adjacent mod folder? or is their another way to do it? 

It was this, at least for my purposes of testing the items

My next question is. once I get all the kinks out of the items (my lamp doesnt quite work yet, and I have a ton of code to enter for the other one,) I take all that stuff and merge it into my main mod don't I? since all of the custom items are a part of it?

It was this, at least for my purposes of testing the items

My next question is. once I get all the kinks out of the items (my lamp doesnt quite work yet, and I have a ton of code to enter for the other one,) I take all that stuff and merge it into my main mod don't I? since all of the custom items are a part of it?

Yes, if you want the items to be in your main mod, the items have to be in your main mod. :p

If you don't move them, they just won't appear if the user doesn't activate the other mod too.

Archived