Profiling your server - redux - I need You!

Whoo, here's three!

Most people who join my server say that it's the only server without any sort of lag, and that fighting is actually very feasible here. My system has handled around twelve people in the past before starting to drop below 60 frames.

I'm currently running three servers at once. From what I can tell, I have enough headroom to run eighteen four-player servers. The bottleneck's my connection at that point, not CPU.

I just went around now and asked all the people if they're experiencing any lag apart from the 1/8th second of a delay when they pick stuff up, and everyone reports that there's absolutely none. (One person reports occasionally getting stuck, but I think his connection's just bad. He's on one of the servers I have running at a tickrate of 150.)

Profiles one and two have a tickrate of 150. Three has 15. Based on my own experience connecting from my own system to my own system with a ping of 3 milliseconds, turning the tickrate up above 15 has absolutely no effect other than using more bandwidth.

The system in question runs on an i7-3930k overclocked to 4.4 ghz. Although it's probably not at all important since there's no graphics, considering we're calculating frames I'll mention that I'm running two Titan Black's in SLI.

More servers'll probably come over time. I start a new one whenever I die since I still want permadeath to mean something to me, and I leave them running until they're empty before closing them.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, but there's no activated mods. There's ones that are downloaded, but none are turned on. Totally vanilla, basically! Yay, sane debugging and testing and stuff!

Profiles_02272015_0104.zip

• Developer

@Gelatous,

Yes, your server seems in limbo. There's 3 players (one with 500 ping), and in the 3 second profile not a single frame was executed, but the profile did finish. And your system seems performant enough.

What OS are you on? Were you running the client on the same machine? (saw a user with 0 ping). 

I'm not hosting the server (hosted by jestservers) but I'm pretty sure it's being hosted on a Windows operating system from the .dll files in the server directory. So I wasn't actually running the client on the same machine, and I'm not really sure when the lag started. The CPU usage graph was showing constant 13% (I have never seen it go above that) and as for memory it peaked at about 384 MB. I logged in and it took about two minutes to load the game world, but I looked at the log.txt and it said I 'joined the game' despite still being at a loading screen. When I got to the game I couldn't move and my character was colored darker than normal as if the lighting wasn't working.

The world was on Day 264, and I believe right after generating the profile there was a third person on the character selection screen. The person with 500 ping was me after joining.

• Developer

@Gelatous

Very strange. It's almost as if the server was stalling on something, and as soon as it hit the first profile 3 seconds had passed and it stoped - I've never seen this happen before, but will definitely ponder and discuss it. 

Any improvement if you restart the server?

• Developer

Could you do me a favour and grab another profile when there's 3 players on? It'll give me a bit more insight, although what you experienced I can't explain yet. Was it close to midnight on the server (wondering if it was saving the world - do you have rollbacks enabled)?

I have enable_snapshots = false, but I do have enable_autosaver = true. I'm not sure if the world was saving, but I was reading the log.txt to determine why I couldn't log in, and I saw the server progressing with my connection attempts (New incoming connection <IP>, SPAWNING PLAYER AT:, etc.) but I didn't see anything about the server saving the world. Unfortunately I think the server crashed while I was zipping up the profile and the log.txt got overwritten so I can't tell.

I ran the profile, here's what I got

Minimal players, but will do another when I get server full.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1617871/Pictures/3players.7z

Second run:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1617871/Pictures/11playersgoodhost.7z

Hardware specs,

For the profile above

4Gb ram ddr3 ,

Cpu : Quad core Intel Xeon e5-2967v3

SSD for HD 

Win server 2008 r2

Usually get up to 14 players with "good host"  or until day 100+ when entity count drops server fps

WIll be moving server to the server I threw together below, all it needs is a PSU and most likely try out Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Other server is 

Cpu : Quad core Intel Xeon E3-1271 v3

32gb ram

ssd 

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Hey guys,

It's my turn.

I run a small dedicated server, it's run correctly for 2 people. A little laggy when it's a brand new day, and the server is saving the data.

If I can help don't hesitate.

Day: 169

Gametype: Endless

Players: 2

Season: Winter

Mods:

- Global Player Icons

- NoMoreRespawnPenalty

My (extra small) Server Dedicated:

VIA® Nano® U2250 1.6 GHz, x64, 2Go Ram, 160gb

profile-20150316.zip

http://w.teeria.net/profile.json

10GB RAM

10 CORES (Unknown threads)

1GB PORT SPEED

350MBPS UP/DOWN NETWORK

MODS: I cannot name them all but around 50.

AD: Server starts lagging (Becomes bad host) when there's around 11 people online, so this really is a big issue since there's no way it should lag with that network nor RAM.

Hi @bizziboi,

do you need new profile for rog?

I noticed that there was less lag but this is due to an improvement of the system?

I always use mods that can generate lags as renewable world,but can be that you can not do anything to it?

do you have some news about the multithreading option?

we are always here to help you improve the game :-)

• Developer

Hi @ToNiO55

Sadly, the physics multithreading is still not safe, my todo-list grows faster than I can knock it down. Having said that, on most servers physics doesn't seem to be the main issue, so the gain from it is minimal (but it's a gain, and I obviously want to make it work).

Lag may have improved, small changes definitely have gone in over time.

@Gelatous,

Wow, yes, that's limbo for sure. I have no idea what's going on there, will have to investigate. Any chance you could send me your save file?

Edited to add: Also - when it ever happens again, could you check memory usage? What's the amount of memory your dedi is equipped with?

Hi @bizziboi,

no problem, and thx you for news

im still interesting for multithreading, because I think that better could be again for multiple servers

but it is true that since the release ROG I noticed a lot less lag on my servers

so thx very much bizziboi and thx all devs :-)

Looking at the memory usage graph, during the time the server was online it was using less than 400MB - but I've had it use more than that without it being in a frozen state.

Also, if server_save_slot = 3, would that mean that I need to upload "/save/survival_3?"

• Developer
Also, if server_save_slot = 3, would that mean that I need to upload "/save/survival_3?"

Ah, no, that changed with the rollback support.

You'd have to check in saveindex what the session id is for the given slot, go in that directory under sessions and grab the highest numbered file (which is your most recent save).

(This reminds me I should probably add a command to grab that file while in world)

Host: DigitalOcean

Region: San Francisco

Graphs: http://d.pr/i/1k37m

Ubuntu 14.04 x64

512 MB / 1 CPU

20 GB SSD Disk

1000 GB Transfer

profile.json

I created this droplet (virtual private server) for playing with three friends who live in Los Angeles; I live in Seattle. The server seems to work well except when dealing with monster attack waves (hounds, deerclops, etc.) which prompt major performance issues. Should I increase the memory? switch to x32? switch to a more powerful server?

Hi,

I would like to help with what is possible.

Name - PvP Reign of Giants

Day - 11
Players - 7/8
Game Mode - wilderness
Season - Autumm

PC -
Windows 7
Core2Duo
4GB Ram

Mods

Waiter 101 (Aparently this wasn't working)
Steampunk DST
DST together fish farm
Tell me
Ownership and PvP Traps

Note: I didn't play in the server this time (Same pc when I play and hosting)

And, of course, if necessary in the next days I can try posting other info, of another server, with more days and with me playing. :-)

profile.zip

I haven't yet had a problem with my dedicated server, I run a public and private server, nobody is playing the private one at the moment tho. Also I run a task scheduled batch script which shuts down the servers everyday at 08.00 GMT and runs the update, and restarts them. 

The only thing thats bothering me at the moment is that I can't track the usage of my server, for example I use gametracker.com for my Team fortress server, wondering if something like that will come along fro DST

Anyways - Copying Skull's Layout 

Name: Jeffs' Pubilc Wilderness Server - ROG!

Host: Dedicated (Self hosted in the UK)

Mode: Wilderness

Day: 7

Season: Autumn 

Players: 4/32

Mods:

DST Map Reveal

Specs:

HP Prolient 360 G6

TWO Xenon E5504

5x146GB SAS Disks Raid5 

40GB DDR3 10600 ram

Server 2012

post-635008-0-92834300-1431857018_thumb.

profile.zip

Archived