Need (More) Mod Help

WalrusMan

Hello, people who are reading this!

I need some help making a character mod.

The things I need help with:

1. How do I make it so my character isn't an enemy of walruses and ice hounds?

2. How do I make my character spawn with a fishing rod?( and make it a custom item fishing rod)

3. How do I give Maxwell a custom speech for my character instead of "Say pal, you don't look so good. You better find something to eat before night comes!"

4. How do I change his damage/ defense?

I can try and help, which won't be very much since I'm not the best but I can try.

1. I'm not sure where to start, its over my head, apologies.

2. To spawn with an item upon a new world so when you generate the world, try this: 

local start_inv = {	"prefabname",}

replace prefabname with the prefab you want to use, so for lets say a piece of honey you would do:

local start_inv = {	"honey",}

To make a new fishing rod, you would need to create a new prefab, which is fairly simple, however if you want it to have custom animations it gets harder, but you can follow this tutorial, I did for one of my first equippables:http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/29427-tutorial-creating-a-handslot-equippable-item-from-scratch/

3. I'm not sure, but I am fairly sure there have been topisc in the past about it, I can try and find them

4. you would edit your characters prefab file, try these lines.

for damage:

inst.components.combat.damagemultiplier = 3

this would increase the damage by 3 times, so a spear would do 34x3

for health: 

inst.components.health:SetMaxHealth(300 )

that would set his health to 300

I am sorry I couldn't be more help, please post if you have more questions or need explanations, apologies :)

1. How do I make it so my character isn't an enemy of walruses and ice hounds?

See this post.

3. How do I give Maxwell a custom speech for my character instead of "Say pal, you don't look so good. You better find something to eat before night comes!"
STRINGS = GLOBAL.STRINGSSTRINGS.MAXWELL_SANDBOXINTROS = {    ONE = "Say pal, you seem hungry",    TWO = You'd better eat somethin' before night!",}

@WalrusMan Umm, no. You asked where to find it, that's.. where you would find it. xD

Yes, you can add a line 3, but it won't work in his speech unless you add it into the maxwellintro prefab too.

local function maxintro_post(inst)    local SpeechThreeObj = {        string = STRINGS.MAXWELL_SANDBOXINTROS.THREE,        wait = 3,        anim = nil,        sound = nil,    }    table.insert(inst.components.maxwelltalker.speeches.SANDBOX_1, SpeechThreeObj)endAddPrefabPostInit("maxwellintro", maxintro_post)

@WalrusMan Umm, no. You asked where to find it, that's.. where you would find it. xD

Yes, you can add a line 3, but it won't work in his speech unless you add it into the maxwellintro prefab too.

local function maxintro_post(inst)    local SpeechThreeObj = {        string = STRINGS.MAXWELL_SANDBOXINTROS.THREE,        wait = 3,        anim = nil,        sound = nil,    }    table.insert(inst.components.maxwelltalker.speeches.SANDBOX_1, SpeechThreeObj)endAddPrefabPostInit("maxwellintro", maxintro_post)
There is only Prefabs and Speech under Scripts

There is only Prefabs and Speech under Scripts

Huh..? We're definitely not on the same page here. Let me clarify.

The scripts folder of your game has a file called "strings.lua". Inside that file, you can find the text which maxwell says during his speeches.

Specifically, the scripts folder at:

Steam/Windows: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\dont_starve\scripts
Standalone/Windows: C:\Program Files\dontstarve\scripts
Standalone/Mac: /Applications/Don't Starve/Don't Starve.app/Contents/scripts
Steam/Linux: /home/username/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/dont_starve/scripts

The scripts folder of your game has a file called "strings.lua". Inside that file, you can find the text which maxwell says during his speeches.

Steam/Windows: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\dont_starve\scripts

Standalone/Windows: C:\Program Files\dontstarve\scripts

Standalone/Mac: /Applications/Don't Starve/Don't Starve.app/Contents/scripts

Steam/Linux: /home/username/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/dont_starve/scripts

Yeah, we weren't on the same page. I thought you meant in the mods files. Thanks for clarifying this, but will it only say that for my characters mod? Probably not. :|

Steam/Windows: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\dont_starve\scripts

Standalone/Windows: C:\Program Files\dontstarve\scripts

Standalone/Mac: /Applications/Don't Starve/Don't Starve.app/Contents/scripts

Steam/Linux: /home/username/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/dont_starve/scripts

I edited some of the strings folder. Now the game crashes on start up :|

Honestly I dont know but how much have you looked into woodies prefab file? Or looked at Fidooops markiplier mod (or someother) that does transformations ?

When it comes down to it if you dont need a visual effect you can just swap the animation batch with a new one same way you originally set it in the   fn()  constructor in your characters prefab. 

Archived