Debian + dedicated server issues

Hello,

I am noticing that ever 4 hours or so my server seems to stop functioning. Resources are all in check, plenty of cpu, memory and bandwidth, however the service for DST stops running. I have not found anything in /var/log/* that point me in any direction regarding a server side issue... however i am wondering if / where i can find logs for the DST application level to get some more info as to why it is crashing.

I have had this happen twice now, not sure why :S

Has anyone had issues with Debian 7 ? is there a prefered OS to deploy DST dedicated servers on?

Any help would be awesome! such a fun game!

Server Specs:

OS - Debian 7

Mem - 2Gb

CPU - 1 Virtual cpu, 2 Virtual cores

HDD - 50Gb VMware disk

Bandwidth - 25Mbps/25Mbps

• Developer

Definitely wouldn't expect switching away from debian would help such an issue! Running out of RAM was my first guess, but if you're pretty sure that's not the case then you'll have to keep digging. Log file can be found in your home directory in ~/.klei/ somewhere. Let me know if you dig up any more details, we'll see if we can't get this solved for you!

Thank you for the response!

I will check the log location when the issue occours again but have been running two days strong :D

on another note... are there any tips on server optimization ?

currnetly i have implemented bandwidth guarantee rules on firewall to ensure packets have priority to the game servers.. however after i get about 15-20 users on my servers .. people seem to complain about slight delays.  During complaints i see no issues from server resource perspective or bandwidth perspective... Memory is pretty lax so far from what i have seen, both servers have 4Gb and never seen that even close to being reached.. usually pull about 2Mbps outbound for bandwidth...

... however i did noiced after i bumped the servers up to 4 Virtual Cores that only 2 are still being used from what i can tell? :S

Anyway thanks for the info and will keep eye on logs next time issue occours, and if anything (tweaks) can be done server side regarding optimization please let me know.

Archived