Admin commands not working on dedicated lan only server

I added my OU_ number to adminlist.txt in the save folder and it is being loaded:

[00:00:00]: OnLoadPermissionList: APP:Klei/DoNotStarveTogether/save/adminlist.txt (Success)

However, whenever I try to send a remote console command (press tilde, press control, enter c_spawn("carrot")) I get the following in the server log:

User [OU_76##########67] with insufficient authority attempted RemoteExecution

(Replaced my full OU with # signs for privacy)

I have verified the OU_ number shown in the access denied message above is the same as the one in the adminlist.txt

I have tried placing the full OU, number and all to adminlist.txt...have also tried just the number after OU_. I have tried with and without a newline after the number, no change.

Any ideas?

• Developer

@Talmage

We have disabled remote commands on LAN servers.

We use our account servers to authenticate users, and we can't expect to access them in LAN.  We could maybe add a flag to support this,  but it wouldn't be secure.   e.g. anyone could pretend to be that user if they were so inclined.

What are you hoping to use the commands / remote admin for on LAN?

EDIT: The next build will have an optional console, for directly inputting commands in the Dedicated Server window.

@Talmage

EDIT: The next build will have an optional console, for directly inputting commands in the Dedicated Server window.

Myself, c_spawn for mod testing purposes. I personally switched to online servers to do that.

I eagerly await that console. :razz:

• Developer

Myself, c_spawn for mod testing purposes. I personally switched to online servers to do that.

I eagerly await that console. :razz:

c_spawn will still be tricky from the console, because you won't have a mouse to position the spawn.

I'll look at adding authentication support for lan servers.

@Talmage

We have disabled remote commands on LAN servers.

We use our account servers to authenticate users, and we can't expect to access them in LAN.  We could maybe add a flag to support this,  but it wouldn't be secure.   e.g. anyone could pretend to be that user if they were so inclined.

Well that explains it.

My use case: Cheating. Plain and simple :) I use my LAN server between just friends at our weekly LAN party/get together. We use admin commands when things go horribly wrong (aka: someone walks off to refill their drink, goes insane, lights the entire map on fire, and kills all of us)

I would personally be fine with a "allow_lan_admin_commands = true" config option where anyone can issue any command without being whitelisted. The risk environment is far less hostile on a LAN server than a public server. After all, if a hostile user is on my LAN I have larger concerns than them being able to modify my DST environment :)

So, please don't go to great lengths to add LAN authentication. The risk profile is far different than the open-to-the-world dedicated servers.

Thanks!

same, i want to add local users in adminlist.txt. When i start in online mode - all fine and my account is admin on server, when i switched to lan - nothing (i lost my char, and admin right). Is it possible to run server in online mode, but server also accessible from lan?

Archived