Dedicated Server Host/Client Same Pc

So iv followed all steps made a dedicated server, all my friends are able to join my server just fine its running smooth.. except i am the only one, that when i try to join my server for the first 10 seconds it runs fine then a disconnecting icon appears top left and then i cannot move interact with anything, i have no choice but to disconnect, anyone else having this issue, can this issue be resolved? i would appreciate any kind of help

im not sure if this would be the right place to ask but would the're be a way that steam doesn't show this post-587875-0-64454300-1422416665_thumb. when i host the server? i want it to be able to show which game i am in.. not the server tool

@Ryuzo, Are you using the conf_dir launch command? If not, I would definitely recommend using an alternate configuration directory if you plan to be joining from the same computer. There's a lot of stuff that gets pretty weird if you're using the same configuration directory for both installations.

@Ryuzo, Are you using the conf_dir launch command? If not, I would definitely recommend using an alternate configuration directory if you plan to be joining from the same computer. There's a lot of stuff that gets pretty weird if you're using the same configuration directory for both installations.

yes i did use that command, my client is using a different directory, it dosen't appear to be that to be causing the issue, anything else i could do?

@Ryuzo, Oh, I think the other thing was that the server had to be set to use a port other than 10999, I set mine to 10998.

Edit: Hmm... I don't know then. One day I had connection issues (getting dropped a minute or two in) between my laptop and desktop on the same network (this was with a normal server), and it never happened again after that day. Maybe something similar is happening for you?

Try running the server directly from the folder, rather than steam.

Go to Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server / bin in common in Steam Apps, use Create Shortcut on the dontstarve nullrenderer, drop it on the Desktop, right click it, and in target make it like:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\bin\dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer.exe" -conf_dir MyServer

@Ryuzo, Oh, I think the other thing was that the server had to be set to use a port other than 10999, I set mine to 10998.

this dint work, im still getting the weird dc when i join my own serverpost-587875-0-04092600-1422419402_thumb.

Try running the server directly from the folder, rather than steam.

Go to Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server / bin in common in Steam Apps, use Create Shortcut on the dontstarve nullrenderer, drop it on the Desktop, right click it, and in target make it like:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\bin\dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer.exe" -conf_dir MyServer

thanks now my status dosent show as im hosting the dedicated server

• Developer

I'm hearing reports of connection issues with servers on the same network (not in lan mode).

Basically, we might need a little more magic to make that work right.  I'm actively looking into it.

Don't know if that's the same issue, but I can't get mine to get listed (Windows 7 x64):

- Windows firewall is off as I have another one and the exe has full access (turning it off doesn't help either)

- port is properly forwarded (I have uPnP off and I manually set the port, but even on, it doesn't work); tried 4-5 different ones without success

- I have various servers (Apache, OpenVPN, DNS) that work fine, so I don't think it comes from a forwarding issue

The only related info on the log is:

- [Warning] Could not confirm port xxxxx is open in the firewall.

Edit: had to remove the "pause_when_empty" line to make it "ping-able", still cannot join from the same computer though.

Edit2: works on LAN.

Archived