Morale implications

Hello. First time poster and I have something I would like to share. Forgive me if it's a little unorganized but it's a few things I want to discuss with others. I often go into multiplayer with the express intent of helping people or working together with someone but in order for me to do that I need to prepare myself. I've had several instances where I would solo play for a bit on a dedicated server to build myself up and then go help people who fresh spawn into the world. I play survival mostly. The problem is most of the time it feels like I end up baby sitting or getting hit in the face by the person I just handed an axe to. Inviting someone to your base then becomes something I dread. What if i'm not prepared or they suck up all my food stores?What if they are a griefer and just want to see my base destroyedIt's gotten to the point where I try to avoid players entirely in multiplayer which is ironic in DST. I've had people who I refused to help out of fear come back as ghost to harass me further. Does anyone else have these issuesHow do you deal with them?

Don't play on dedicated servers, for now?

This is what I did and still do most of the time: connect to random servers, even the ones with "???". At one point I meet a host who's on the same line of thinking as I am and once we realize we cooperate in a trustworthy manner, we add ourselves as friends on steam for future games. I've met a lot of players this way and my friends list, which has grown quite a lot ever since dst was released, now consists only of dst players I know I can have fun with.

So it's quite simple: try to avoid dedicated servers, and just be as polite, cooperative and helpful as you are now, and connect with people who are the same. :-)

I think it's more of a problem with new players. In DS, it drops you in with no real instructions. So obviously, surviving without a tutorial guy is like playing a complex game where they just drop you in. In DS all deaths have been a player's fault.

Fight a tier 3 spider next with no armor- your fault.

Fight a tentacle at close range without kiting- your fault.

Dying because you can't survive alone- Still your fault.

My advice is to not help newer players, but give them hints as to what they can do, such as saying "You know, you should be grabbing flint and twigs." or telling them to figure it out themselves, or telling them to look at the DS wiki or look up a guide. All these things can be easier than going on a server and asking "Give me advice on how to play this game plz."

P.S You double posted.

Don't play on dedicated servers, for now?

This is what I did and still do most of the time: connect to random servers, even the ones with "???". At one point I meet a host who's on the same line of thinking as I am and once we realize we cooperate in a trustworthy manner, we add ourselves as friends on steam for future games. I've met a lot of players this way and my friends list, which has grown quite a lot ever since dst was released, now consists only of dst players I know I can have fun with.

So it's quite simple: try to avoid dedicated servers, and just be as polite, cooperative and helpful as you are now, and connect with people who are the same. :-)

This isn't an option for me because as much as I distrust a lot of people in DST I do generally find trustworthy people in an uncertain sea of players. I've made a few friends I know I can play with in the future from dedicated servers. That paranoia is still there though I can name a few people who frequent the NY community survival server by name that I can trust and play with. It's still fun to revive several ghosts and save the server from collapsing from the sanity drain.

I think it's more of a problem with new players. In DS, it drops you in with no real instructions. So obviously, surviving without a tutorial guy is like playing a complex game where they just drop you in. In DS all deaths have been a player's fault.

Fight a tier 3 spider next with no armor- your fault.

Fight a tentacle at close range without kiting- your fault.

Dying because you can't survive alone- Still your fault.

My advice is to not help newer players, but give them hints as to what they can do, such as saying "You know, you should be grabbing flint and twigs." or telling them to figure it out themselves, or telling them to look at the DS wiki or look up a guide. All these things can be easier than going on a server and asking "Give me advice on how to play this game plz."

P.S You double posted.

Yeah I try to give people advice and tell them to check out some tutorials or wikis. I never thought some people were so new that they didn't know they needed flint though. I recently tried making a base at spawn to see how new players would handle it because as you said. I had to leave shortly after unfortunately. The general rule is to make a base far away from spawn but I couldn't but the opposite has some interesting outcomes.

Your first mistake is trusting any player in a game with PVP enabled. An idiot allowed to kill and destroy anything in sight can and will hit and destroy anything in sight. It will never fail. You'll find at least one in the course of 20 minutes.

This is why I find this sort of setting unplayable. I couldn't do it in Minecraft, I couldn't do it in DayZ, I can't do it in Don't Starve. I do not enjoy being able to be fucked by the newest random newbie to the server that picked up X weapon and blind-sided me when I walked up to say hello. I tried to hide, and eventually they find me anyway and break my things and kill me and light my things on fire. It's insane, it's senseless, it's not fun. I could not, COULD not do it. 

If you're looking to have fun with others, you cannot do it for any extensive period of time in a PvP setting. It just won't happen. Because people have the ability to be dicks enabled. Someone's going to take up the offer.

Play non-PvP. It's much more peaceful. Also makes it slightly harder to be a jerk.

Your first mistake is trusting any player in a game with PVP enabled. 

Play non-PvP. It's much more peaceful. Also makes it slightly harder to be a jerk.

I don't think the OP is going on about people being jerks; it's about people being ignorant or selfish, even in a non-pvp setting. Those two traits can end up ruining your game, not just for you, but for everyone else as well.

Like that person who took our 60 meat and 20 monster meat and made a boatload of monster lasagna and meaty stew (instead of meatballs to stretch out the meat) in the middle of winter. She died later because no one but her ate it. The rest of us barely survived the rest of winter.

There was also one other person sitting by the icebox cramming food into their mouths, and never sets out to do chores. He ended up leaving once it was empty. This made our winter months even more difficult.

Asking someone to go get resources and come back empty handed. At least bring back some sort of resource! (Though I feel like they just harvested berries and carrots, and hoarded them)

Lastly my biggest pet peeve are people who die really, really far away from everyone else, and just sit there asking to be revived, while draining everyone's sanity. It's clear no one is equipped or willing enough to go that far, especially when chores need to be done, and food is always scarce. At least waltz back to base to revive and get back your stuff another time. (of course, they just go straight away and keep dying repeatedly)

--

All in all though, while it is frustrating to deal with, they truly do make greater stories to tell. After the first winter, surviving really gets too easy if you really know what you're doing, with no end-game content or challenges like giants.

I don't think the OP is going on about people being jerks; it's about people being ignorant or selfish, even in a non-pvp setting. Those two traits can end up ruining your game, not just for you, but for everyone else as well.

Yeah mostly this. I guess everyone was new once I just didn't expect so many new people to get their first DS experience via multiplayer. I tried being less of a hermit and invited some fresh spawns to my base. If you set some ground rules and clear guidelines for them it's not so bad. We ended up surviving winter because I had 4 crock pots up and 6 drying racks up with an abundance of beefalo, spider meat for my bird cage, and lucky koalefant. Some of the fresh spawns moved on to make their own bases and some stayed. I guess it's give and take with multiplayer.

OP: Don't worry, you're awesome!  Seriously.  Let me explain.

The challenge in Don't Starve Together isn't to survive.  In fact, it's not even to survive with other players. The challenge in DST is to survive despite other players.  On top of that, the challenge is to make them survive despite themselves.  This makes DST a more challenging game than DS.  The reality is that at this point in time, DST isn't a difficult game if you are competent and have competent help. You don't want that!  You want the idiots, the n00bs, and you want to make them survive despite their incompetence.  If you can't keep them alive, you just need to focus more on your base-building and resource management.  

Once a horde of clueless n00bs can join your base on day 3 of winter and survive  without sapping your resources dry, you know you've made it in DST =).

OP: Don't worry, you're awesome!  Seriously.  Let me explain.

The challenge in Don't Starve Together isn't to survive.  In fact, it's not even to survive with other players. The challenge in DST is to survive despite other players. 

Truly this is what Klei had imagined... The ultimate difficulty...

a quick tutorial would fix this right up, and people please teach your friends to play i hate when people cant even find food for themselves and beg for like 3 grass or 2 sticks... we are camped in the savanna u can go grab 3 grass

a quick tutorial would fix this right up, and people please teach your friends to play i hate when people cant even find food for themselves and beg for like 3 grass or 2 sticks... we are camped in the savanna u can go grab 3 grass

DS is a game with no real tutorial. Giving it a tutorial is something Klei scratched long ago.

DS is a game with no real tutorial. Giving it a tutorial is something Klei scratched long ago.

the amount of noobs is too damn high, i can carry 2 people max but when 3-5 people are just sitting in camp every day it gives me e-hernias

I tryed to build a base at portal on a dedicaced server, to see if it's possible. My answere : Nop, really impossible on a dedicaced public server.

It lasts 20 days. I farmed spiders, made all the base even a tent, and a bird cage, crafted many rabbit traps, rez people... I gave them advices to survive: How to use a tent or a birdcage, what to do, how to cook and what, how to keep their sanity high....

They are not able to survive, even with all of my advices, with 20 rabbits hole and my traps. When they starve, they use a straw roll. My tent lasts 2 days everytime. Most of them stay on the base and do nothing until the death. When i bring 20 monster meats, they cook monster lasagna... When i bring mushroom (for their sanity), they eat them (and die). If they don't try to revive my Abigail, they attack her (and they die). They remove the bird on the cage :indecisiveness:

So, i'll continue to build my base alone on DST ; )

@Amonarka I guess I just got lucky! I made it up to day 22 before logging off and letting the players in base  take over. I had a mixed bag of people who knew how to play, some fresh newbies who listened and did what they were told and even had one guy who came to server expecting to loot, kill and pillage because it was PVP but decided to help out since the base was right on top of the portal. It's funny because most of the fresh spawns that joined were mostly Willows.

Archived