Sooo...just lost my game to a single support guard..

Playing as Banks and Internationale, things have been absolutely fine for the entire game, on the second to last mission. Guard is looking for me, regular guard, there is a stationary support guard. The regular guard has just exited the elevator room. I go, "Ok cool, time to get out of here, good mission as usual".

However the regular guard's guard sense apparently tingles and he decides to come back to the room he just exited, spots Internationale, whom I didn't put out of sight or anything since I didn't think he would come back. He yells, support guard comes around, chucks a grenade and knocks out both of them. Both my agents can't do anything so I just end turn instantly, the regular guard goes and pins down Banks and Internationale recovers only to get shot instantly.

This is the point where the game decides "Why not rub it in a bit further?" and reminds me about the lovely rewind feature (which I had totally forgot existed). For half a second I think I'm saved until I realized that rewinding one turn back won't do a thing since my agents were still knocked out that turn. I do it anyways just to see if maybe the results turn out different but nope, Internationale gets up only for the enemy turn to start immediately and she gets a bullet put into her and back to the ground she goes.

I had shock trap III, both agents upgraded quite nicely and good Incognita programs and I was ready to kick ass in that final mission and get some vengeance since I lost my hostage one tile away from the elevator last game but oh well. Screw support guards and guard sense...

Support Guard and Null Drones are the two troops I seriously consider shooting dead every time I spot one. I lost the courier mission once when one of them chucked a grenade through a solid wall somehow and knocked out my entire team AND the courier. *grumble*

Support guards are kind of ridiculous. I do like the extra challenge they present, but honestly, throwing completely blind grenades is kind of absurd.

I've had two agents knocked out by a guard who was then unable to find them, because he didn't know they were there, because he was only investigating and not hunting.

At the very least it would be nice for them to need positive confirmation that an enemy target is actually there and that they're not just crippling some wandering stray cat for life.

Support guards are kind of ridiculous. I do like the extra challenge they present, but honestly, throwing completely blind grenades is kind of absurd.

I've had two agents knocked out by a guard who was then unable to find them, because he didn't know they were there, because he was only investigating and not hunting.

At the very least it would be nice for them to need positive confirmation that an enemy target is actually there and that they're not just crippling some wandering stray cat for life.

Yeah they surprised me a bit as well the first time I saw one since I didn't know that they would even throw a grenade just for seeing a door getting opened. He knocked out my agent but when he came through the door he noticed another agent and didn't look around so he didn't even spot the agent he had knocked out xD

Support Guards are just very very happy to have any excuse to throw their grenades. And they have RIDICULOUS throwing arms too. I mean, I swear, they can lob those grenades across entire rooms into other rooms. And that was how I had my entire super upgraded team of amazing super spies armed with the best augments and what not taken out by a single flash grenade.

Well, sometimes old technology is still good technology. I just wished too they weren't so damn... trigger happy with those grenades.

Support Guards are just very very happy to have any excuse to throw their grenades. And they have RIDICULOUS throwing arms too. I mean, I swear, they can lob those grenades across entire rooms into other rooms. And that was how I had my entire super upgraded team of amazing super spies armed with the best augments and what not taken out by a single flash grenade.

Well, sometimes old technology is still good technology. I just wished too they weren't so damn... trigger happy with those grenades.

I actually quite like it. I feel like if they were even just a little bit more discrete they wouldn't be as threatening or significant. I don't know but I always like it when a game has those one or two enemies that when you see them you go "Oh crap, not these guys" and feel like you have to change your playstyle or even just be a bit more cautious than usual. 

Like when you see chryssalids in XCOM you know, you always feel threatened no matter how experienced you are because even if you are experienced they can still screw you over quite a bit if you aren't cautious.

Archived