Suggestion for hunger: Blood Group Diets

Hello guys.

(First and foremost, my apologies for posting here even though i don't own DST, but since this idea is related to DST, this seemed as a best place to post it.)

I've been playing Don't Starve Reign of Giants via Steam for little over 260 hours. So far, I enjoy the game very much; the survival, design, art, music, interaction between creatures, The Giants, and the rush of hunting them. While I play the game and follow the news of it's development, I await the release of DST for DS owners.

I've got an idea how to possibly make the Hunger more of a challenge in DST (I got it from the Blood Group Type theory). I will present it straight as i see it. Heres hoping you'll see some value in it to.

In this idea, Devs could create in-game mechanics, which would divide playable characters between blood groups, and assign each blood group with it's own diet. This means that playable characters of certain blood group, could reduce their hunger, ONLY by eating food items which fit his blood group diet. According to the author of Blood Group Diet theory, there are four blood group diets, which fit nicely with existing food categories within Don't Starve:

* Blood group 0, the Hunter:

Author recommends that those of this blood group eat a higher protein diet - meats. In game, playable characters with blood group 0 would reduce their hunger only by eating meats, or meat dishes.

* Blood group A, the Agrarian:

Author recommends that individuals of this blood group eat a diet that emphasizes vegetables, and is free of red meat, a diet more closely vegetarian. In game, playable characters with blood group A would reduce their hunger only by eating fruits and vegetables, or dishes made of fruits or vegetables.

* Blood Group B, the Nomad:

Author states that this blood group is associated with a strong immune system and a flexible digestive system. He also asserts that people of blood type B are the only people able to thrive on dairy products. In game, playable characters with blood group B would reduce their hunger only by eating diary items, or dishes made of diary items.

* Blood group AB, the Enigma:

Author describes is as an intermediate between blood types A and B. In game, this could be a group for beginners, being able to reduce hunger by eating every type of food.

So here it is. Not perfect, and not even nearly finished or polished, full of potential problems, but one thing is clear: the concept is here! And it's all for you Devs, feel free to use this idea (or not) as you see fit, free of any charge or obligations to me! Reduce it to bits, take whats good, discard the bad, and hopefully, expand it into something awesome!

With regards!

It's "dairy" not "diary" >.<

Well this concept already exists, in a way. Certain characters have different diet specifications (I've only encountered one so far, but I haven't unlocked all the characters yet). While this is a great way to differentiate characters, it has to be used in moderation, because a lot of the fun from DS comes from having a lot of options to do pretty much anything, including how to fill your stomach and making a character vegetarian or carnivorous limits your options when playing.

Besides that, there's no need to overcomplicate things. Each character has peculiarities in their diet because it fits their character, having bloodtype considerations in the mix just makes it weird and imposes unnecessary limits.

Your idea did remind me of the theory of the four humours, though. I like how that theory related to the theme because of the game's "darker" side, with all the magic and rituals (the theory seems to be fairly esoteric). You might think this would be a cool mechanic, where you'd have to eat certain things to balance your humours and not become sick, but again, that would be limiting the player's options. It wouldn't bring anything new to the game, anyway.

It's "dairy" not "diary" 

It's thread derailment by grammar nazi. 

Well this concept already exists, in a way. Certain characters have different diet specifications 

Having only two characters with food limitations (Wickerbottom as a picky eater, and WX-78 as not a picky eater) is far from a concept that would connect every single character.

While this is a great way to differentiate characters, it has to be used in moderation, because a lot of the fun from DS comes from having a lot of options to do pretty much anything, including how to fill your stomach and making a character vegetarian or carnivorous limits your options when playing.

Thats the point you seem to miss: with no limits, feeding is almost easy (playing in a group even easier). Blood type idea was made to make feeding harder for a group of players in DST.

Besides that, there's no need to overcomplicate things.

You might be right about this one, though, as I obviously can not see the line between interesting and over complicated in this case. I hope Devs will!

@MOBMOB, Well, when Wigfrid arrives, she only eats meat.

Thanks for pointing out this one to me. I was not aware of it, as my game knowledge is not complete.

According to this, Wigfrid would fit perfectly into blood type 0.

Having to many Wigfrid-like-characters in a group of players would make the group very strong for fights, granted, but, on the same time, it would make high demand on meat farming in early game, and transforming the meat farming into an easy linear grind in mid to late game.

The center of this whole idea, is about adding some difficulty and challenge into food production.

Archived