The Caves Compromise

• Developer

This idea is often mentioned when talking about Caves.

The main issue with this is that Caves worlds are not "Normal" worlds : 
- The time management (The Clock) is not the same, in caves you don't have the notion of "Hour".

- There are some events that are specific to the world we're into (Old bell triggers Earthquakes)

- There are no weather

BUT it could works with many rewriting client side.

Another issue, is that a too big Map does crash the client. I tried to expand the world map on my Dedicated server (like 3 times the initial size), and some "Low specs" player machine could not connect anymore because of "Not enough memory".

This idea is often mentioned when talking about Caves.

The main issue with this is that Caves worlds are not "Normal" worlds : 

- The time management (The Clock) is not the same, in caves you don't have the notion of "Hour".

- There are some events that are specific to the world we're into (Old bell triggers Earthquakes)

- There are no weather

BUT it could works with many rewriting client side.

Another issue, is that a too big Map does crash the client. I tried to expand the world map on my Dedicated server (like 3 times the initial size), and some "Low specs" player machine could not connect anymore because of "Not enough memory".

About that last part, i meant that the cave could be a whole new world (not an expanded map), same server, so it can be edited to be not a normal surface world. It can be smaller than the size of the overworld with no clock/weather and with endless night with sinkholes and climbing ropes to get back and forth.

Now that i say it it does seem a little too big with having three worlds (including ruins) load at once

o 3 o 

• Developer

So it's like having 3 simulations running in one server. It's almost the same as having 3 servers running actually. That was the idea from where my mod started.

Having 3 simulations at once needs many works on the server and client source code, but that would be the "proper" solution.

Archived