The bane of the gaming community!

Hi guys,

I want to adress this topic. I think there is a reason why such great games like DS and transistor don't receive enough attention to become even bigger and better.(like no dedicated servers for DST for example) Hear me talk about that in this video. =) This only one part of the problem tho...IMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_SFk7TRdac

We do currently have dedicated servers for DST set up and maintained by Kleientertainment themselves and players will be able to create their own dedicated servers in the near future.
Source: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/47892-dedicated-server-files/#entry595865

To summarize the video: You generally said that you feel that MOBA games supposedly overrun the gaming community which in turn overshadows indie games and their developers thus deterring them(indie games&developers) from becoming more widespread. Personally, I do not feel that MOBAs are the bad portion of the gaming world by any means. Though I do understand that people tend to become more aggressive playing MOBAs on the other hand the pros outweigh the cons. I won't go into detail of what the pros are cause I'm sure you are well-aware of it. 

The bottom line is, different people enjoying different things. Simple as that. Don't Starve from the way I see it is already well-spread. Steam, Youtube LPs, Twitch Livestreams, Gaming News Sites, etc. People will find this game(or any indie game for that matter) when they take a break from those MOBA games.

Anyways, I've realized you weren't actually asking for people's opinion on the topic so I'll leave it at that. Lastly, shouldn't this be in the [Don't Starve] Videos Section since you're playing Don't Starve and it's a video. Cheers.

We do currently have dedicated servers for DST set up and maintained by Kleientertainment themselves and players will be able to create their own dedicated servers in the near future.

Source: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/47892-dedicated-server-files/#entry595865

To summarize the video: You generally said that you feel that MOBA games supposedly overrun the gaming community which in turn overshadows indie games and their developers thus deterring them(indie games&developers) from becoming more widespread. Personally, I do not feel that MOBAs are the bad portion of the gaming world by any means. Though I do understand that people tend to become more aggressive playing MOBAs on the other hand the pros outweigh the cons. I won't go into detail of what the pros are cause I'm sure you are well-aware of it. 

The bottom line is, different people enjoying different things. Simple as that. Don't Starve from the way I see it is already well-spread. Steam, Youtube LPs, Twitch Livestreams, Gaming News Sites, etc. People will find this game(or any indie game for that matter) when they take a break from those MOBA games.

Anyways, I've realized you weren't actually asking for people's opinion on the topic so I'll leave it at that. Lastly, shouldn't this be in the [Don't Starve] Videos Section since you're playing Don't Starve and it's a video. Cheers.

Someone finally took their time and posted a detailed reply :D I already love you for doing that :)

Sorry about being incompetent in terms of being uninformed in the topic of dedicated servers.

You probably watched and went pretty far into the video by making such a comment, so I'll go ahead and add one more thing to what I wanted to say with all this. Have you seen the charts that Riot brings up? The ones that tell us how much the world plays LoL. Those are the biggest numbers by far in gaming history in terms of how much it is played. Why is it so? Because at first, there is a fun element and people have fun leveling their accounts up to lvl 30. They are not as intoxicated yet and makes them wanna try new things within the game. So they come to ranked games and here is where the junkie stuff begins. It's almost like a needle...once you try it you might never get off this wacky little narcotic,

You always start caring more about your rank and stats that you become so envolped by the game and not sometimes you play the game not because it's fun but because you need to get your stats to be better. This swallows you into a loop that you can't escape that easily. And players because of ranked play are so hooked to mobas because of it that they don't see beyond the world of their moba. And nowadays I hear this phrase a lot "This [insert mainstream game name which usually is a pop-MOBA] is better than this" or maybe I live in a country where everyone is close-minded.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is...people get hooked to mobas like a drug and become intoxicated by it that they don't see beyond their little MOBA world...although there are games to explore.

I'm saying this because I actually was like this for a while...trapped in a small moba world.

Sorry for putting it in the wrong section, but out of general discussion I could get more people to be involved in this discussion.

I like the topic, but the thing is, MOBA's have such a broad audience and to me, that means "You don't want to go here since it has lots of people will call you out." Honestly, multiplayer games that are also Singleplayer follow the same path. DS follows a similar path where some people are really good, and do some pro strategies. DST you could be playing with lots of good players and a person who isn't that  good can bring down a whole team even if that person is a griefer or a noob who died during Winter and is now haunting your berry bushes or grass tufts or your tree farm you worked so hard for.

Honestly I've done so good in DS that my skill goes to DST and even those who don't play as much as I do, I'll help them and respect them just like if they were like me. Because, in reality, even if you are the most professional player of DS or DST, co-operation is a guarantee for long term survival.

...and become intoxicated by it that they don't see beyond their little MOBA world...

People end up getting sucked into the MOBA world because it's easy to get into. The rules are simple, the little achievements of winning a match, the rush. Ok, I now completely understand what you are trying to get at. It's addicting enough to cloud peoples eyes from other great games. On the other hand, I don't think MOBA communities deliberately trap themselves in a bubble. Hopefully in most cases, those bubbles have a lot of people with wider POVs of the gaming world. In time, we can only hope that they will spread that the gaming world has more to offer than just MOBA in their little conversations with people in their own little bubbles.

To end, congrats to you on exploring beyond the MOBA world. That's all I have to say. Cheers.

You probably watched and went pretty far into the video by making such a comment, so I'll go ahead and add one more thing to what I wanted to say with all this. Have you seen the charts that Riot brings up? The ones that tell us how much the world plays LoL. Those are the biggest numbers by far in gaming history in terms of how much it is played. Why is it so? Because at first, there is a fun element and people have fun leveling their accounts up to lvl 30. They are not as intoxicated yet and makes them wanna try new things within the game. So they come to ranked games and here is where the junkie stuff begins. It's almost like a needle...once you try it you might never get off this wacky little narcotic,

You always start caring more about your rank and stats that you become so envolped by the game and not sometimes you play the game not because it's fun but because you need to get your stats to be better. This swallows you into a loop that you can't escape that easily. And players because of ranked play are so hooked to mobas because of it that they don't see beyond the world of their moba. And nowadays I hear this phrase a lot "This [insert mainstream game name which usually is a pop-MOBA] is better than this" or maybe I live in a country where everyone is close-minded.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is...people get hooked to mobas like a drug and become intoxicated by it that they don't see beyond their little MOBA world...although there are games to explore.

I'm saying this because I actually was like this for a while...trapped in a small moba world

So first of all this right here actually kind of makes me sick. To start of Don't Starve and Transistor are 2 of my favorite games. There are 3 games that I recommend to pretty much everyone I meet. Transistor, Don't Starve, and League of Legends (before Dawngate shutdown it was on that list as well). I have bought at least 6 copies of DS on Steam, in fact I think I've bought 3 mega packs so far, 2 solo DS games, 2 RoG DLCs, and then my copy of DS/RoG. I actually tried out the game when it ws Betaing on Google Chrome and I've been in love ever since. On top of that I've spent at least $500 on LoL. I leveled up to Level 30 within a month, I played almost 800 ranked games this ranked season, I watched all of the LCS games.

I've never been reported, I've never been called a rager, or toxic, I've never been accused of harassing anymore. I spent my childhood as a foster home for cats and I spent the summers of my high school years volunteering at elementary schools as an assistant teacher. I spent my time playing support in League and I spend my time crafting Telltale Hearts, Booster Shots, and Healing Salves in DST (have you seen a chest full of Telltale Hearts? Because I sacrifice my HP to make a whole chest every game).

I'm offended at the way people see one of my gaming communities. I don't get ragers in my game because I don't rage and you can't say that raging is an LoL thing. Have you ever seen Xbox Live? Have you ever seen MMORPGs? Hell I've watched people rage over D&D of all things.

Now League of Legends gets a lot of viewers. Season 3's world champioships had more NA viewers than any other sporting event besides the super bowl. This is not a bad thing. This does not mean that games aren't getting proper recognition, it means that smaller games have more chances of being recognized than they were before. When a piece of work gets that much recognition and bringsi n crowds of people who don't know about a certain hobby/genre. People who have never played games before (and by games I mean something other than fairytale dress up or one of those little 5 minute shooters on gamesgames.com) are opened to the gaming community by big mainstream games. League of Legends specifically opens the world of Mobas and MMORPGs, but that doesn't mean they don't introduce people to general gaming either. Casual gamers who learn about gaming through league might not find other games, but people who decide they really like playing League of Legends will soon spot out other games. Dota is a big competitor of the MOBA general, Dota is a steam game that advertises both Transistor and Don't Starve. Playing LoL also gets you ads on other sites for games like Smite, and LoL's big VC program connects to Steam, Blizzard, Smite, and WoW. Being a big enough game to be played by people who aren't considered 'Gamers' makes people feel okay trying it out. It's like you watch The Hunger Games because it's a really popular thing and then you decide you like it and it opens you up to the world of post-apocalyptic dystopians and sci-fi. I go to a Sci-Fi/Fantasy convention and a lot of the writers who attend will fess up to enjoying the books because they allow for the genre as a whole to get more recognition and followers.

Honestly most of my friends that play DS/DST I got them into gaming by being like 'Hey Taryn isn't this pirate chick cute, watch what she can do' and having my friends look over my shoulder while I mess up Miss Fortune's combo and die like a scrub. After that it was pretty easy to go 'Hey Taryn look at this art, isn't it gorgeous it's for a game called Transistor. You should try it!'

And other games feed into the idea of 'ranking' with their own achievements. I stayed up until 3am last night (even though I got up at 6:30 for work this morning) to play Tera because 'I had to finish these 9 quests I started before I go to bed' (of course by the time I finished I had 5 more). Don't Starve becomes addicting because you just have to play again and have a longer survival on the Morgue, you just have to beat the Deerclops, you just have to explore the caves, you just have to unlock the next character. Steam achievements had me playing Democracy 3 for like 5 hours straight a couple of weeks ago. 

On top of that LoL actually got play on ESPN for their World Championships, It's opened up investors to games like Smite (which you have to remember was recently in Beta) for their Esports communities. A game like DS isn't going to really have an Esports community because people aren't going to get paid to not starve when it's possible to make a self sustaining environment and the pros would be on day 500 and still going before the competition ended.

The real bane of the gaming community isn't League of Legends, it's not a specific game at all. It's people who trash games that become popular because they're popular. You can't say 'being addictive' is the reason LoL is popular, because there had to have been something good about the game that made it 'addictive' for a sustained period of time. You want to talk about addictive games ios games and facebook games are highly addictive but each specific game only lasts so long before it fizzles out and is replaced by a new addiction. The fact that LoL is still a growing community proves that they have some sort of content to keep people coming back.

But people who try to give LoL a bad name  turn people who don't game off of a community and close the doors of gaming for them. People who are hostile towards Sims or LoL or WoW because they're popular in their genre and they think some indie game should have more recognition drive others away. If people would stop shaming these kinds of games and instead seek out friends who play popular games and introduce them to their favorite games without bashing what they love to play then games like DS would grow. Basically saying 'League of Legends is awful and addictive and ruins the gaming community, you should play a good game like DS or Transistor instead', is the way to get people who enjoy LoL to ignore your opinion and not step out of their comfort zones. In fact the smaller a game is the more impact your individual voice has on people's opinions of the community.

Let's be honest I sit around mid Silver in LoL. I met my boyfriend on the LoL forums and he's sitting around high Gold (trying really hard for that Plat status ATM). It's a big game like League that introduced me to the love of my life. Yes we both spend quite a bit of time trying to climb the Elo ladders, but at the end of the night we still get on our DST server (which at one point was named 'Bickering Old Married Couple') with our names set to Wifey and Husbandu and we tough out winter after winter before we go crazy and decide to take on a whole village of werepigs or a spider queen without any armor or Abi up. We have about 100 hours on DST over the last month and plenty more where we were playing DS Solo Player while on Curse Voice fighting over who is more 'boss' at the game. We still spend mornings shooting zombies together and weekends playing our natural roles (the tanky initiator and the healer/support) on MMORPGs as we hash out quests and brag about our 'super OP loot'. We find time to laugh at one of my best friends (a B5 Yasuo main) who always seems to be the first to die in any game (Those days when I haven't made a Telltale Heart by the end of day 1 at the saddest for my sanity), and we like millions of others are 'part' of the League community.

although there are games to explore.

I'd also like to point out that any game is going to promote its own genre more than others. If you like survival games you're not going to search for a FPS game when you want something new to play unless the survival game you like happens to be an FPS. You can't blame LoL for that either. If LoL wasn't popular it'd still be Fifa or Sims or CoD and I don't see how that's going to help promote your favorite indie games any more than LoL does, in fact Mobas are a lot more open as a genre than the other games I listed. They're a mixture of (MMO)RPG, Action, and Fighting games. They branch off

So first of all this right here actually kind of makes me sick. To start of Don't Starve and Transistor are 2 of my favorite games. There are 3 games that I recommend to pretty much everyone I meet. Transistor, Don't Starve, and League of Legends (before Dawngate shutdown it was on that list as well). I have bought at least 6 copies of DS on Steam, in fact I think I've bought 3 mega packs so far, 2 solo DS games, 2 RoG DLCs, and then my copy of DS/RoG. I actually tried out the game when it ws Betaing on Google Chrome and I've been in love ever since. On top of that I've spent at least $500 on LoL. I leveled up to Level 30 within a month, I played almost 800 ranked games this ranked season, I watched all of the LCS games.

I've never been reported, I've never been called a rager, or toxic, I've never been accused of harassing anymore. I spent my childhood as a foster home for cats and I spent the summers of my high school years volunteering at elementary schools as an assistant teacher. I spent my time playing support in League and I spend my time crafting Telltale Hearts, Booster Shots, and Healing Salves in DST (have you seen a chest full of Telltale Hearts? Because I sacrifice my HP to make a whole chest every game).

I'm offended at the way people see one of my gaming communities. I don't get ragers in my game because I don't rage and you can't say that raging is an LoL thing. Have you ever seen Xbox Live? Have you ever seen MMORPGs? Hell I've watched people rage over D&D of all things.

Now League of Legends gets a lot of viewers. Season 3's world champioships had more NA viewers than any other sporting event besides the super bowl. This is not a bad thing. This does not mean that games aren't getting proper recognition, it means that smaller games have more chances of being recognized than they were before. When a piece of work gets that much recognition and bringsi n crowds of people who don't know about a certain hobby/genre. People who have never played games before (and by games I mean something other than fairytale dress up or one of those little 5 minute shooters on gamesgames.com) are opened to the gaming community by big mainstream games. League of Legends specifically opens the world of Mobas and MMORPGs, but that doesn't mean they don't introduce people to general gaming either. Casual gamers who learn about gaming through league might not find other games, but people who decide they really like playing League of Legends will soon spot out other games. Dota is a big competitor of the MOBA general, Dota is a steam game that advertises both Transistor and Don't Starve. Playing LoL also gets you ads on other sites for games like Smite, and LoL's big VC program connects to Steam, Blizzard, Smite, and WoW. Being a big enough game to be played by people who aren't considered 'Gamers' makes people feel okay trying it out. It's like you watch The Hunger Games because it's a really popular thing and then you decide you like it and it opens you up to the world of post-apocalyptic dystopians and sci-fi. I go to a Sci-Fi/Fantasy convention and a lot of the writers who attend will fess up to enjoying the books because they allow for the genre as a whole to get more recognition and followers.

Honestly most of my friends that play DS/DST I got them into gaming by being like 'Hey Taryn isn't this pirate chick cute, watch what she can do' and having my friends look over my shoulder while I mess up Miss Fortune's combo and die like a scrub. After that it was pretty easy to go 'Hey Taryn look at this art, isn't it gorgeous it's for a game called Transistor. You should try it!'

And other games feed into the idea of 'ranking' with their own achievements. I stayed up until 3am last night (even though I got up at 6:30 for work this morning) to play Tera because 'I had to finish these 9 quests I started before I go to bed' (of course by the time I finished I had 5 more). Don't Starve becomes addicting because you just have to play again and have a longer survival on the Morgue, you just have to beat the Deerclops, you just have to explore the caves, you just have to unlock the next character. Steam achievements had me playing Democracy 3 for like 5 hours straight a couple of weeks ago. 

On top of that LoL actually got play on ESPN for their World Championships, It's opened up investors to games like Smite (which you have to remember was recently in Beta) for their Esports communities. A game like DS isn't going to really have an Esports community because people aren't going to get paid to not starve when it's possible to make a self sustaining environment and the pros would be on day 500 and still going before the competition ended.

The real bane of the gaming community isn't League of Legends, it's not a specific game at all. It's people who trash games that become popular because they're popular. You can't say 'being addictive' is the reason LoL is popular, because there had to have been something good about the game that made it 'addictive' for a sustained period of time. You want to talk about addictive games ios games and facebook games are highly addictive but each specific game only lasts so long before it fizzles out and is replaced by a new addiction. The fact that LoL is still a growing community proves that they have some sort of content to keep people coming back.

But people who try to give LoL a bad name  turn people who don't game off of a community and close the doors of gaming for them. People who are hostile towards Sims or LoL or WoW because they're popular in their genre and they think some indie game should have more recognition drive others away. If people would stop shaming these kinds of games and instead seek out friends who play popular games and introduce them to their favorite games without bashing what they love to play then games like DS would grow. Basically saying 'League of Legends is awful and addictive and ruins the gaming community, you should play a good game like DS or Transistor instead', is the way to get people who enjoy LoL to ignore your opinion and not step out of their comfort zones. In fact the smaller a game is the more impact your individual voice has on people's opinions of the community.

Let's be honest I sit around mid Silver in LoL. I met my boyfriend on the LoL forums and he's sitting around high Gold (trying really hard for that Plat status ATM). It's a big game like League that introduced me to the love of my life. Yes we both spend quite a bit of time trying to climb the Elo ladders, but at the end of the night we still get on our DST server (which at one point was named 'Bickering Old Married Couple') with our names set to Wifey and Husbandu and we tough out winter after winter before we go crazy and decide to take on a whole village of werepigs or a spider queen without any armor or Abi up. We have about 100 hours on DST over the last month and plenty more where we were playing DS Solo Player while on Curse Voice fighting over who is more 'boss' at the game. We still spend mornings shooting zombies together and weekends playing our natural roles (the tanky initiator and the healer/support) on MMORPGs as we hash out quests and brag about our 'super OP loot'. We find time to laugh at one of my best friends (a B5 Yasuo main) who always seems to be the first to die in any game (Those days when I haven't made a Telltale Heart by the end of day 1 at the saddest for my sanity), and we like millions of others are 'part' of the League community.

I'd also like to point out that any game is going to promote its own genre more than others. If you like survival games you're not going to search for a FPS game when you want something new to play unless the survival game you like happens to be an FPS. You can't blame LoL for that either. If LoL wasn't popular it'd still be Fifa or Sims or CoD and I don't see how that's going to help promote your favorite indie games any more than LoL does, in fact Mobas are a lot more open as a genre than the other games I listed. They're a mixture of (MMO)RPG, Action, and Fighting games. They branch off

If you had watched the video, you would hear that I don't fully antagonize the MOBA community. I play mobas myself...watch the video. Seriously...I think mobas is a generally a good concept. They just cloud your mind a bit with the community that they have. No matter who you are, if you play them for a long time, you can become toxic with a high probability...because you didnt become entoxicated, doesn't mean others won't. I can call you an exception, because all of my friends have raged in LoL and have been toxic themselves since it's considered as normal behaviour in mobas. Trust me, I used to be an xbox only player...and xbox live was less toxic of a community to me than LoL. But that's what I've seen...maybe you've seen other sides of xbox live.

And as I mentioned in the video...you're gonna talk about communities inside the MOBA community, which is not what I was talking about. I said about the general aspect of the moba community...I truly enjoy playing mobas, but 80% of the people, including me have become so toxic...there are just games where I can't stop raging at my team...It happens to all of my friends from time to time and to me too...so yeah. In season 1 I wasn't toxic at all, but with every season I became more aggresive and toxic myself 'cause of the **** players give you...

I play any games ranging from platformers to FPS...so I don't stay inside one frame. I like to try different things in gaming :D 

and holy **** how long did it take you to write this post??? :o I'm amazed you took the time...I promise in my next video I'll try topics that won't cause something of a turmoil like this =( I just understood that this is a bad way to gain views...but hey...I had to try it out. =\ 

People end up getting sucked into the MOBA world because it's easy to get into. The rules are simple, the little achievements of winning a match, the rush. Ok, I now completely understand what you are trying to get at. It's addicting enough to cloud peoples eyes from other great games. On the other hand, I don't think MOBA communities deliberately trap themselves in a bubble. Hopefully in most cases, those bubbles have a lot of people with wider POVs of the gaming world. In time, we can only hope that they will spread that the gaming world has more to offer than just MOBA in their little conversations with people in their own little bubbles.

To end, congrats to you on exploring beyond the MOBA world. That's all I have to say. Cheers.

I played a lot of different games...I just said that there was a period wherein I didn't see other games as competent. :D I always explore normally in terms of different games :p

I like the topic, but the thing is, MOBA's have such a broad audience and to me, that means "You don't want to go here since it has lots of people will call you out." Honestly, multiplayer games that are also Singleplayer follow the same path. DS follows a similar path where some people are really good, and do some pro strategies. DST you could be playing with lots of good players and a person who isn't that  good can bring down a whole team even if that person is a griefer or a noob who died during Winter and is now haunting your berry bushes or grass tufts or your tree farm you worked so hard for.

Honestly I've done so good in DS that my skill goes to DST and even those who don't play as much as I do, I'll help them and respect them just like if they were like me. Because, in reality, even if you are the most professional player of DS or DST, co-operation is a guarantee for long term survival.

You, my fine sir, are a wise dude :D

Let's also not forget that Don't Starve got a console relase I live in a small town and i still saw Don't Starve for ps4 fetured in the local gamestop.

Someone finally took their time and posted a detailed reply :grin: I already love you for doing that :-)

Sorry about being incompetent in terms of being uninformed in the topic of dedicated servers.

I'm saying this because I actually was like this for a while...trapped in a small moba world.

Sorry for putting it in the wrong section, but out of general discussion I could get more people to be involved in this discussion.

I still play like 3 LoL games a day and i still know of other games. So i rather you not steryotype us all. I also know a few other LoL players on thease fourms who are plat but still know of other games.... 

why do you guys act like MOBAs are drugs...... Some people just don't like games besides them it's not that its a drug people are diffrent and will not like indie games.

If you had watched the video, you would hear that I don't fully antagonize the MOBA community. I play mobas myself...watch the video. Seriously...I think mobas is a generally a good concept. They just cloud your mind a bit with the community that they have. No matter who you are, if you play them for a long time, you can become toxic with a high probability...because you didnt become entoxicated, doesn't mean others won't. I can call you an exception, because all of my friends have raged in LoL and have been toxic themselves since it's considered as normal behaviour in mobas. Trust me, I used to be an xbox only player...and xbox live was less toxic of a community to me than LoL. But that's what I've seen...maybe you've seen other sides of xbox live.

And as I mentioned in the video...you're gonna talk about communities inside the MOBA community, which is not what I was talking about. I said about the general aspect of the moba community...I truly enjoy playing mobas, but 80% of the people, including me have become so toxic...there are just games where I can't stop raging at my team...It happens to all of my friends from time to time and to me too...so yeah. In season 1 I wasn't toxic at all, but with every season I became more aggresive and toxic myself 'cause of the **** players give you...

I play any games ranging from platformers to FPS...so I don't stay inside one frame. I like to try different things in gaming :grin:

and holy **** how long did it take you to write this post??? :o I'm amazed you took the time...I promise in my next video I'll try topics that won't cause something of a turmoil like this =( I just understood that this is a bad way to gain views...but hey...I had to try it out. =\ 

No..... just no. That's just no.  A few people rage in league I've seen like 5 honestly. If they do rage its for a good reason what if in DS I just eat all of the food with a full hunger bar you would get mad huh? Same way for when you mess with someones hard worked ranked game. Who said raging is the way MOBA player find acceptable?

why do you guys act like MOBAs are drugs...... Some people just don't like games besides them it's not that its a drug people are diffrent and will not like indie games.

@Nickolas2600, I play MOBAs. I know firsthand how it can be addicting but I never called it a drug and if you actually read what I said in my first post in this thread. I'll remind you "The bottom line is, different people enjoying different things..." which is exactly what you just said.

Hi guys,

I want to adress this topic. I think there is a reason why such great games like DS and transistor don't receive enough attention to become even bigger and better...

mostly disagree with your opinion, the reason games are the way they are now because only a small amount of the players are crying about it on the forums so devs only see the point of view of the people crying and not so much of the people actually enjoying the game. for example look how blizz added training wheels to all their new games so casual players wont cry out loud

Archived