Sanity loss from ghosts too high?

(Dear lord I hope I'm posting in the right sub-forum.)

I decided to go back to DST and I had some fun messing around with it, helping around in public servers, but then two people ended up dying far away from us trying to explore around the map, one of them got crushed by a meteor, the other one got insane and died from the Shadow creatures. It was all okay, until I noticed my sanity going down slowly and a ghost icon next to it, but then I just continued to gather more food from the traps, and chopped down some more trees. Then when it became dusk I returned to the base to store the rabbits, wood, and berries. I started a fire and night came, the santiy loss was even greater combined with night, even the fire (I was playing as Willow at the time) didn't help, and the flowers were all picked from the area, the others returned and another day had started with half sanity, I went searching for some flowers to make a garland, I found a few but didn't find enough with to make a garland, next time with the fire pit at dusk, I go try to give some food to a Wilson, but suddenly we all went flat out insane and the Shadow creatures appear, we were starting out in the world so the best thing we had was a Spear and Log armor, I hardly had nothing so I died pretty fast, the rest of them died trying to fight them, and right when we all died I saw a Wickerbottom chase a Dead Wilson trying to revive it, by the time he got revived, THEY died aswell.

So TL;DR version is: I think the sanity loss from ghosts shouldn't be universal for all players, not only dose it have you to rush to find them and revive them, I could see a easy way of greifing by a few players coming on and dying, then hiding away from all the players eating away from their sanity.

Feel free to talk about the sanity loss and disagree or agree with what I think. (And sorry for the large wall of text.)

So TL;DR version is: I think the sanity loss from ghosts shouldn't be universal for all players, not only dose it have you to rush to find them and revive them, I could see a easy way of greifing by a few players coming on and dying, then hiding away from all the players eating away from their sanity.

The griefing is a problem, but this particular mechanic was added specifically to be world-wide. It forces everyone to work together, or at least be punished for not working together. If it's not server-wide, anyone can ignore the ghost and not be punished for it. 

PvP Survival servers are just slow suicide.

right when we all died I saw a Wickerbottom chase a Dead Wilson trying to revive it, by the time he got revived, THEY died aswell

This made me LOL, as I always play Wickerbottom and am always having to chase people around, force-giving them stuff. Now back to the topic......

I'm not sure if sanity loss should be changed. I understand why Klei put it (to encourage people to cooperate and revive comrades).

I think the problem in your case (and in mine, this happens to me a lot too) is people who build servers don't understand the different Game Modes. I've seen servers where if you die, people beg you to leave or ask the host to kick you out because their sanity is taking a hit. If that's the case, why not choose Endless instead? Probably because no one explained it to them?

(So I logged in and tried to host a server, and yes, there's no explanation what the different Game Modes are. Sure you can Google, but this seems like an interface problem that can be fixed/enhanced by devs.)

PvP Survival servers are just slow suicide.

LOL :D

Archived