"Reset Map Rotation" Suggestion

So, there are obviously many issues with using the map and trying to meet up with people who are far from you. When you ask "Where's the base?" or "Where are you?" To someone you want to meet up with, they'll say

"I'm South of Spawn" or "I'm in the Northern end of the beefalo savannah" or something to that effect.

To players like me, who rotate their map constantly (I am almost always running "upwards" because you can see a little bit more of the world in the top left and top right corners, I feel), this is a huge dilemma. After about 1 minute of being in game, I don't remember which screen rotation was the "default screen orientation".

My suggestion is this - Just add a hotkey that you would press, and it would simply "snap" your screen rotation back to the default that it was for everyone that spawned into the world. This would make it a lot easier when giving/receiving directions as you'd both be on the same page with which way is "North, South" etc.

I honestly would rather just have them implement an in game compass that works in real time. (I did see there's a mod for it, and I'm going to try that out shortly), but I think this would be a pretty easy solution for people communicating with directions. You just hit the "snap back to default orientation" key, give/receive the directions, then you could go back to using whatever rotation you were on.

+1

I really want the compass, but in lieu of it, I'm on-board with this idea. How about instead of a hotkey, it's just a button on your map to snap back to default?

That would work too actually - actually even better because it would be very obvious to everyone without having to look through the keybindings list to find it. Definitely agree with you there! :-)

Honestly - really just anything would work at this point. I too would like a HUD compass in game. There IS a mod for it, but it bothers me because the location is fixed and it's where I have my minimap at - the top right - so it just covers my minimap so I haven't been using it anyways lol.

I think this would be a really easy thing for them to just add. Like, when a player joins, have each rotation being "1", "2", "3", and "4" - With the "default orientation" being the "1" and whenever a player hits the button, it will just snap back to whatever the "1" had the screen/map orientation set to. Obviously if you pressed the button when you were already on the "1" orientation it wouldn't do anything, but either way, you'd be at the "1" orientation after pressing the button.

Edit: Oh - also something I've been wondering in relation to my suggestion.... does anyone know for sure if Every player has the same "default screen/map orientation" at spawning in anyways? I've never really known for sure since I haven't tested it. I assume it is that way, but I would just like to be sure!

My brother and I were playing today and based on that game where we never rotated our cameras I would say yes, that the original map layout that you start with is the default for all players... but it was just the two of us and we started simultaneously and it's only my second game to play in dst

I don't think they should or will put in a "snap back to default" feature..

it would make the compass completely useles...

You only have to inspect it once to get the information, what's so difficult about it? ;D

I personally never had a problem with orientation. I remember just a few landmarks on my map and this way I always know wich way is the default direction..

it's easier later on after you have uncovered a chunk of map but before that and with others rotating their maps too and not paying attention it's difficult to know what true north is... a snap back is a nice and easy fix that will help overall group survival and ability to locate resources and rejoin the group or meet at a destination outside of base...

I don't think they should or will put in a "snap back to default" feature..

it would make the compass completely useles...

You only have to inspect it once to get the information, what's so difficult about it? ;D

I personally never had a problem with orientation. I remember just a few landmarks on my map and this way I always know wich way is the default direction..

Sorry but the ridiculous amount of people saying "Go North" when giving directions just bothers me. When "North" is purely subjective based on that one person's map orientation. They give the directions assuming everyone else has the same screen/map orientation as them.

And sorry, but the compass is just about useless in this scenario because just like I said, people will say "North" or "South" and they are going off of what their screen orientation is, which could be any of the 4 directions. Do you see what I'm saying? It doesn't have so much to do with ME knowing the "True North" it's everyone being on the same page of what direction is actually "North"

This mostly applies to public servers where you're playing with people you don't know and can't coordinate with as well at the drop of a hat or have directional-downs-syndrome.

Archived