[General] - Network issues - warp/rubber-banding when near (multiple) hostile creatures

JimmyLobo

Bug Submission:

Category: General

Issue Title: Network issues - warp/rubber-banding when near (multiple) hostile creatures

Issue Description: Today I've played with 2 of my friends - each of us tried to host and each time the rubber-banding was killing us when the non-host players were near hostile creatures such as frogs or the hounds.

Steps to Reproduce: Join a medium world as a non-host.

Find a location with many frogs or wait for the hounds.

Try to run away.

Rubber-banding and lag is common right now. The key factors are:

• Can the computer support hosting this game? Other games don't matter, they are different developers and code. What specs the host has are vital for smooth gameplay, especially in the event there are multiple entities on-screen.
  • Does the host have good and consistent internet connectivity? Constantly changing up/down speeds impact the clients greatly.
  • How much geographical distance is between the host and the clients? Check "ping" to get an idea. Anything above 100 will introduce issues for the client.

I have the same issue when i'm playing as a client. When i'm playing as a host everything is fine. It's not a internet or pc problems. We've tested it on different stuff. + we're from thesame city so geographical distance is ok.

Disabling auto-predict movement helped only a little, rubberbanding is still appearing often.

This issue started after last hotifix on December 24. Before it everything was fine.

Disabling auto-predict movement helped only a little, rubberbanding is still appearing often.

Rubberbanding cannot occur with movement prediction off. If you're still getting rubberbanding, you must have made an error in disabling it. Instead of rubberbanding, your movement should be delayed/choppy/freeze up occasionally instead-- that is what is actually happening on the server.

Edit: I'm guessing issues started on the 24th patch for you because it patched player_common and reverted the change you made, reenabling movement prediction. This will happen fairly often with patches.

Rubberbanding cannot occur with movement prediction off. If you're still getting rubberbanding, you must have made an error in disabling it. Instead of rubberbanding, your movement should be delayed/choppy/freeze up occasionally instead-- that is what is actually happening on the server.

Edit: I'm guessing issues started on the 24th patch for you because it patched player_common and reverted the change you made, reenabling movement prediction. This will happen fairly often with patches.

Yes, you're right instead of rubberbanding now my movement delayed/frezzed. I made changes to player_common couple days ago, after that hotfix. So why before hotfix everything was fine with all standart settings?

Rubber-banding and lag is common right now. The key factors are:

• Can the computer support hosting this game? Other games don't matter, they are different developers and code. What specs the host has are vital for smooth gameplay, especially in the event there are multiple entities on-screen.
  • Does the host have good and consistent internet connectivity? Constantly changing up/down speeds impact the clients greatly.
  • How much geographical distance is between the host and the clients? Check "ping" to get an idea. Anything above 100 will introduce issues for the client.

I have quad-core Phenom (3,2 GHz or so), 8 GB RAM, and 10/1 Mb/s Internet connection (I've hosted Minecraft server for 4 people just fine).

The distance between me and my friends is around 20-30 km, so the ping is not an issue.

Also, my friends hosted LAN game for themselves and also experienced lags, so the connection is really not the source of the problem here.

disable auto-predict movement may help you

C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Don't Starve Together Beta\data\scripts\prefabs\player_common.lua 

change: "USE_MOVEMENT_PREDICTION = true" to false

Thank you for that hint. I'll let you know if it helped.

I have quad-core Phenom (3,2 GHz or so), 8 GB RAM, and 10/1 Mb/s Internet connection (I've hosted Minecraft server for 4 people just fine).
That sounds pretty well-equipped for hosting. MarkL has also said that sometimes when a client can't connect normally, it falls back to a proxy. Forwarding port 10999 should solve that issue, I think (he posted about it somewhere in bug reports before...) 

Archived