Let's Web Together

So, we never actually got around to playing much Webber in Don't Starve, we stopped playing shortly after we were unlocked. But on trying Don't Starve Together, we decided to try them, with the mod. We found it pretty fun, living near a swamp with a bunch of spider dens, collecting tentacle bats for our friends. But we had a problem... Our friends couldn't come play with our other friends! 

Perhaps if we could make a nice mask for people to trick our eight eyed friends, like the spiderhat, but only makes our friends ignore them and not follow them. Then our friends could come to and play at our house sometime.

Alternatively, if we had more spider friends to play with. Like Webster(Wickerbottom Spider), or WEBDOWS-95(WX-78 spider), or Webbie the Were-Spider or Webfrid the Webserker. We are definitely more of a fan of uniquely new spider friends, rather than getting our other friends eated by spiders too.

Sounds like you just discovered the downside of playing as Webber in DST - you can't use your normal singleplayer strats, since your teammates will be impacted severely. I don't think a new craftable needs to be introduced for this. I'd say that players need to learn new group strategies to continue to utilize Webber to his full potential.

One important new strat - don't surround base with spider nests. Just because it's the most common doesn't mean it's the only way to use Webber's perk. Perhaps you could make a spider nest area tucked away in an unused land corner. It can be close enough to base for you to hop over and gather your friends, but far enough away that your friends don't kill all your teammates. That way you're basically making your own pig village, just with spiders instead.

There are a few other mod characters that are Webber-spinoffs, namely Webweb and Websworth (I think the latter is still a work in progress, though).

But yeah, I don't know. I think it's a little too early to tell. Webber is a strong character that brings his own set of advantages to the table, being able to get rid of the downsides for friends might be a bit too strong. I think adapting your playstyle with him like imsomony is suggesting will work pretty well, though.

We're not saying introduce an item to perfectly deal with it, the idea is more a mask that can temporarily mitigate it. Probably with a somewhat hefty crafting cost of silk and spider glands or some such. Said item would probably also have negative side effects, such as making pigmen and bunnymen agro.

Our camp was near a swamp with many spider dens near fish man houses, we traveled back and forth between our camp and the main camp, where we got food and such. But when we had spider-y friends, it was problematic to visit our not so spider-y friends to retrieve food from the crock pot. Would have been nice if one could just put on a hat and bring me some meatballs, and I could give them some web and such in exchange.

We're not saying introduce an item to perfectly deal with it, the idea is more a mask that can temporarily mitigate it. Probably with a somewhat hefty crafting cost of silk and spider glands or some such. Said item would probably also have negative side effects, such as making pigmen and bunnymen agro.

Our camp was near a swamp with many spider dens near fish man houses, we traveled back and forth between our camp and the main camp, where we got food and such. But when we had spider-y friends, it was problematic to visit our not so spider-y friends to retrieve food from the crock pot. Would have been nice if one could just put on a hat and bring me some meatballs, and I could give them some web and such in exchange.

But when we had spider-y friends, it was problematic to visit our not so spider-y friends to retrieve food from the crock pot. Would have been nice if one could just put on a hat and bring me some meatballs, and I could give them some web and such in exchange.

I get what you're going for here, but I'm still in favor of "adjust your strategy" rather than "introduce a new craftable/mechanic". This is one reason people will set up multiple bases, or at least outposts. It gives an area to run to and leave such supplies. If there's an area that Webber constantly visits to gather spiders and other stuff, there can be a mini-camp close by that has a crockpot, fridge, firepit, and chest. Not a ton of stuff, but enough to survive a few days while out-and-about. If Webber needs something but also has a bunch of spider friends, your teammates can run to the outpost and leave you the needed supplies while you're not there. That saves you time in going all the way back to base, and saves them their inevitable death by spiders.

Archived