How to export Spriter file in my own mod

Folthan

Hey there, quite new with the modding of Don't starve but slowly discovering every bit of hidden terrain on the map :joyous: .

I am currently making my own mod and it is going quite well. I used the official template to draw my character on and got that working in Don't Starve.

Now I found this better template called 'extended sample character' that gives a cute cat girl in Spriter as example to play around with. I can remove for example her skirt as explained in the tutorial (overwriting a single .png file) but I do not understand how to save changes I make in the Spriter program itself.

In this picture you can see that I removed some parts of the tail and moved the other three parts around. How should I export/save this so it turns up like this in the game itself?

http://oi57.tinypic.com/5vszyo.jpg

Thanks a lot for the time to help a beginning modder out. If I am going at this in a wrong way, please enlighten me with the proper way of doing this!

You can compile scml files using the Autocompiler from the mod tools. I can't remember where the standalone download is, but if you have Steam, go to your library, then tools and download the whole set.

Starting the game automatically checks all mod textures and animations for updates and compiles all "exported" projects.

Exporting can be located and done by using the don't starve mod tools on steam

if you're running windows with a bit more of a pop (64 bit) this might be the directory

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Don't Starve Mod Tools\mod_tools\autocompiler.exe"

usually it autoruns on don't starves startup.

alright, so this is what I did from personal experience, I found out that editing anything in the "spriter" document is invalid (the wrong way, don't edit things in spriter you will get nowhere and get really frustrated)

This is because spriter is used a lot for animations and less so for building;

So, making the images fully transparent seems to do the trick without altering the current .scml document.

(sidenote the .scml is the whole character itself it draws resources from folders to create a final build, it does this using the don't starve mod tools on steam)

if you want to move the tail bits the way you are planning on doing there are a few options.

1.) Editing the scml *advanced*: make a backup of the .scml, right click and edit it with notepad++ (or any other script editor I just prefer ++), find the location of the tail's pivot points (x and y points) and move them around mathematically, the lower the number on the Y-axis the higher it will go, and the higher the number on the Y axis the lower it will go. The X-axis is side to side and I have not really had a need to do anything with it so that's up to you.

2.) image editing (personal preference): its very important you do not change the dimensions of the image it can cause a lot of issues with this sample character. find which parts of the tail you wish to keep and which you do not via image name (tail-0, tail-1, ect), edit the image keeping the dimensions, even replacing some and moving it around so the image matches the one inside of the .scml or what you desire out of the character, its all about fidgeting, and re-arranging.

dNKaD.png

Exporting can be located and done by using the don't starve mod tools on steam

if you're running windows with a bit more of a pop (64 bit) this might be the directory

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Don't Starve Mod Tools\mod_tools\autocompiler.exe"

usually it autoruns on don't starves startup.

alright, so this is what I did from personal experience, I found out that editing anything in the "spriter" document is invalid (the wrong way, don't edit things in spriter you will get nowhere and get really frustrated)

This is because spriter is used a lot for animations and less so for building;

So, making the images fully transparent seems to do the trick without altering the current .scml document.

(sidenote the .scml is the whole character itself it draws resources from folders to create a final build, it does this using the don't starve mod tools on steam)

if you want to move the tail bits the way you are planning on doing there are a few options.

1.) Editing the scml *advanced*: make a backup of the .scml, right click and edit it with notepad++ (or any other script editor I just prefer ++), find the location of the tail's pivot points (x and y points) and move them around mathematically, the lower the number on the Y-axis the higher it will go, and the higher the number on the Y axis the lower it will go. The X-axis is side to side and I have not really had a need to do anything with it so that's up to you.

2.) image editing (personal preference): its very important you do not change the dimensions of the image it can cause a lot of issues with this sample character. find which parts of the tail you wish to keep and which you do not via image name (tail-0, tail-1, ect), edit the image keeping the dimensions, even replacing some and moving it around so the image matches the one inside of the .scml or what you desire out of the character, its all about fidgeting, and re-arranging.

dNKaD.png

Thank you so much Renamon for your detailed explanation. I understand everything and will retry editing the character with your method. You explaining the pivot points and the image editing after that was exactly what I needed to know.

Thanks!

Thank you so much Renamon for your detailed explanation. I understand everything and will retry editing the character with your method. You explaining the pivot points and the image editing after that was exactly what I needed to know.

Thanks!

if you need more help I will be glad to assist you!

Archived