A Good Way to Let Those Around You Know of Your Needs

I kind of came up with this while playing for a while, and I know there seems to be a similar topic about this but I just don't think the two suggestions are really the same, I hope you'll forgive me.

Anyway, I suggest a way to tell those around you your state of hunger, health and sanity. To do this I came up with the idea of clicking your stats and whatever the state of your hunger, health or sanity is, your character will say out loud.

For example, your health is dangerously low. Upon clicking your health your character will say "My health is really low." Or if your hunger is at 100% "I'm full." or your sanity is dropping "I'm hallucinating."  etc. There could be different things to say depending on your current state.

This way you'll be able to tell those around you of your needs without having to type it out (and in an emergency state, die while doing so).

Thanks for your time. C:

~Kebber

I feel like this is already in the game? I mean, to an extent. The hunger and low sanity animations play very frequently, and I always notice when we're hanging around the base at night if someone is low and will feed or give them things. 

The only issue is, I guess we don't have a low health animation? Or if we do, it isn't noticeable. 

But I feel like the ingame ones are nice enough, being spammed with text is annoying. It reminds me of when I played WoW, people installed various world of warcraft addons that spam party members with automated messages like MY MANA IS LOW WAIT and [NAME] DID [sOMETHING WRONG] and just used that instead of ever actually communicating with anyone. If you have time to sit around and receive help, you have time to type. I can't see this being useful in the few situations where you don't have time to type, like if you are being chased by a mob, you should probably spend your limited time to think on getting out of the situation instead of crying repeatedly for help. 

If you didn't have to click the panel to get the message and it would just play, one time, upon reaching the threshold (the way the I'm hungry messages do), I could get behind that. Like, upon reaching a threshold of 25% health or so, your character would emote something like "I can't take this much longer!," same with sanity, something like "I'm seeing some crazy things..." Of course, it would be a character specific message for each character, like hunger. 

I just don't want to encourage people to use actual talking even less, or to encourage people to waste time spam clicking their HELP ME button instead of solving the problem. I feel like the game already more or less has ways to tell someone needs something, at least in terms of everything besides health.

I never thought of it that way. Perhaps there could be a limited amount to how many times you click on your stats in a minute. But I suppose if you don't want to encourage less proper communication, then In that case perhaps there should be a low health animation like I dunno, holding your arm with a pained expression.

I think this is a good idea. You should also be able to click on another player and see their stats. When you hover over a player, it says 'examine.' Yet all it does is tell you who they are. That's not much of an examination.

Similar stats should appear on other things when you examine them once you've gained the requisite knowledge. All trees of similar growth take a similar number of chops to chop down. So once you've chopped down a tree or two, clicking a tree will tell you how many chops are left. Clicking a spider will tell you how many hits are left. So on and so forth.

Actually, I have a better idea. Instead of a way to callout if you're hungry, you are able to see their state with a single press of a button. Once you press Shift/Ctrl/Alt, it will pop up an overlay above or below the character your mouse is hovering over, maybe perhaps with a username in there. With varying settings in the Options too. Such as Opacity, bold to opacity. Fade timer after moving away from hovering. Timer that persists the overlay and after that timer a fade begins (this allows to combine both Overlay Persistence and Fade. Such as the overlay stays for 3 seconds and takes 2 seconds to fade. Two keys combined shows all states of everyone on screen (within view screen region). If two people's overlap, they oscillate between which ones overlap each other with varying "background" colors. Have a game option that enables (or disables) the ability to see everyone's state in a "menu" like the map. Also adding in the enable/disable of overlays entirely. The previous mention would be good for PvP servers so then you don't know what you are going up against in terms of "should I battle him or not?". I believe this would be a more effective way of going about it. What do you guys think?

Archived