Looking for somebody to help make Alice character mod.

PanEXE

I want to make Alice from American Mcgee's Alice, but I want to fit it into the art style of Don't Starve.  Unfortunately I don't have the patience to make the entire mod myself.  Actually, I only really want to make the art.  I can and will help with the coding and such, but It would need to be explained.

I want to make Alice from American Mcgee's Alice, but I want to fit it into the art style of Don't Starve.  Unfortunately I don't have the patience to make the entire mod myself.  Actually, I only really want to make the art.  I can and will help with the coding and such, but It would need to be explained.

I love Alice in Wonderland, but you've really got to elaborate more. What would she do? What does your art look like?

Etcetera.

I love Alice in Wonderland, but you've really got to elaborate more. What would she do? What does your art look like?

Etcetera.

I didn't really give that much though to it, but I was thinking that when she gets low health she could get really strong and change to the hysteria mode, and maybe we could add the Vorpal Blade.  I don't do too much art nowadays but I feel like I could make a really good representation of Alice, while keeping Don't Starve's art style.  And since I'm a perfectionist regarding my art, I would keep doing it until I get it right.

I don't know...Having a transformation at low sanity levels is a really overdone idea that's been done to death with mods like William and Elinor. If you want people to enjoy your mod, you'll need to come up with some really original core ideas so all of your time spent on art/speech won't be wasted.

With that being said, I think Alice could have powers of inverse sanity. Things that drain sanity will restore it, and things that restore sanity will drain it. And to keep sanity from being too easy to upkeep, you could give Alice a constant sanity drain or half the effectiveness of sanity-raising items.

For Alice, I feel these ideas would work because Wonderland is always portrayed as a really backwards, insane place. I've never heard of American Mcgee's Alice but I've read both of Lewis Carroll's books.

I think the inverse insanity is an excellent idea.  Overnight, I also thought we could do something with the mushrooms, I don't think we could change her size (and I don't think that would be useful anyway), but we could make that something.  

On a side note American Mcgee's Alice is the prequel to Alice: Madness Returns.  They're great games, and they show Wonderland as an extremely creepy, messed up place.  I would recommend getting the Madness Returns on Steam during the sale, while it's 10 bucks.  I wouldn't go through the trouble of getting the first one, because the game is really dated.  You could find a story summary though, the game is just called American Mcgee's Alice.

Oh yeah, changing her size wouldn't be that big of an issue. That's actually one of the few basic things I know how to do in lua script:

inst.Transform:SetScale(1.5,1.5,1.5)inst.components.locomotor.walkspeed = (TUNING.WILSON_WALK_SPEED * (2/3))inst.components.locomotor.runspeed = (TUNING.WILSON_RUN_SPEED * (2/3))
Yeah, just make sure that you lower/raise walking speed whenever your character changes sizes. If you don't, then their movement speed will scale with their size.

I'm not sure about the size thing, in Wonderland, it's a really big change, and what would we even make each size do?

I would start drawing it, but I don't know how to go about doing it.  I don't want to draw the whole thing and end up having to redo it in a certain format to add it to the mod or whatever.

My interest is piqued, I was actually just going through to look for guides to make my own character, so (attempting to help) helping  on this would be a good exercise!

I think fitting the theme of the game would be keeping the sanity drain on things normal, but reversing the effects of sanity loss. You start to lose health and have monsters attack at max sanity.

I think the shadow creatures are hard coded rather than character coded, but if the trigger percentages are character based it would be plausible.

Though if what dragon says is true then the character concept is common (i'd believe it, reversal of the norm is a common character trait for mods.)

I think the first thing to work out is exactly how much you want the character to change the gameplay.

Another idea I quite like the idea of is an item a bit like abbigail's flower. If i'm reading correctly, the game mentioned that roses are used as a unit of health. You could have her character specific item be a rose rather than the vorpal blade. Perhaps giving it the equalizing effect on sanity. Using the flower will reverse the effects of sanity but cause it to wilt for a period of time. Could also be simplified down a bit to the reversed sanity gain/loss for a period.

I'm not sure about the size thing, in Wonderland, it's a really big change, and what would we even make each size do?

I would start drawing it, but I don't know how to go about doing it.  I don't want to draw the whole thing and end up having to redo it in a certain format to add it to the mod or whatever.

As for the drawing of characters from what I can see, it would have to be done in parts like this: http://i.imgur.com/oHsz4Kw.png

You could draw up a character portrait for the character select screen if you wanted in the meantime, It shouldn't have to have an altered format from common image file types.

I think fitting the theme of the game would be keeping the sanity drain on things normal, but reversing the effects of sanity loss. You start to lose health and have monsters attack at max sanity.

I think fitting the theme of the game would be ideal with sanity loss being beneficial but a possible alternative would be*

Darn forums not having an edit command -.- (and my brain for bneing so terrible at corrections)

Trust me, I had the same worries when I started on my own character but v1.0.2 of the extended sample character worked very well for me. I finished all of the art for my character in a week and the template never gave me any problems. There's a tutorial on these forums on how to use the template, too.

As for the drawing of characters from what I can see, it would have to be done in parts like this: http://i.imgur.com/oHsz4Kw.png

You could draw up a character portrait for the character select screen if you wanted in the meantime, It shouldn't have to have an altered format from common image file types.

One question, what should I do for the hair?  Alice has long hair and Wilson's hair goes up.  Should I just put the hair in the middle or what?

One question, what should I do for the hair?  Alice has long hair and Wilson's hair goes up.  Should I just put the hair in the middle or what?

not sure, I haven't made a character yet. I'd suggest getting another custom character and taking apart the files to see how they drew it.

one character i've seen with semi long hair is "Hella Merdurial"

might be a good starting point.

not sure, I haven't made a character yet. I'd suggest getting another custom character and taking apart the files to see how they drew it.

one character i've seen with semi long hair is "Hella Merdurial"

might be a good starting point.

I looked for one, and surprisingly enough I found a character that looks really similar to Alice.  I'm still drawing my own, but this is near what I was going for.

Archived