[Gameplay] - World ended when I joined during the reset timer

aceface91

Bug Submission:

Category: Gameplay

Issue Title: World ended when I joined during the reset timer

Issue Description: I was playing on a server with another person and we both decided to go AFK. I left the server but he stayed in the game. He was killed by Beefalo so the world reset timer started because nobody else was on the server. During the timer I joined and had around 60 seconds to revive him but I failed to do so and the countdown ended. I was still alive and the world reset even though only one person was dead.

Steps to Reproduce: When this was happening I was just running towards the ghost in an attempt to revive him. There was nothing I could do about the timer so the world restarted and sent us to the character selection screen.

To cause this issue have only one person on the server to die then join the server and the world should have a reset countdown.

Hey !

Was looking for some informations about that matter because it happened to me, and just found this post.

Yet, i'm wondering... Wouldn't that be kinda bad on dedicated servers ? I mean, if the server's empty and then, someone join and die, that would mean the countdown will start from then. But in order to keep the world alive, let's admit this player disconnect before going to vacations...

In order to preserve the map, server will have to be abandonned (or "freezed") until that player comes back ?

Also wondering, which players are taken into account for the timer ? I mean, only those who where connected (and dead) when the countdown starts, or also those who where disconnected (but yet, still dead) when timer goes on ?

Thanks for answers (hope there will be some xD)

@n0wt, Hmm, so you mean this scenario?

• Pause when empty dedicated server
  • Several people play on it, then leave
  • One person joins, dies, starts the countdown, then leaves
  • The server gets paused mid-countdown
  • Some of the first people join and can't do anything about the countdown because the dead person is gone, but them being there unpauses the server

Outside of that, I don't think it's a problem. But... That particular scenario does sound difficult to solve. I made a suggestion a while back about ghosts leaving behind a grave or something instead of a skeleton (or you could just add this functionality to the skeleton), which could be given a telltale heart, equivalent to giving the ghost a telltale heart, but they wouldn't have to be connected.

I think that would help in this situation by at least giving the returning players something they could do about the reset.

(there were other parts of that suggestion too, like having the sanity drain attached to the grave instead so people don't want to kick players who die, and having an item that allowed you to locate graves)

• Some of the first people join and can't do anything about the countdown because the dead person is gone, but them being there unpauses the server

I have experienced this many times. Survive 25 days, go away, get back, world gets reset.

This is why I only go survival on non-dedicateds.

Outside of that, I don't think it's a problem. But... That particular scenario does sound difficult to solve. I made a suggestion a while back about ghosts leaving behind a grave or something instead of a skeleton (or you could just add this functionality to the skeleton), which could be given a telltale heart, equivalent to giving the ghost a telltale heart, but they wouldn't have to be connected.

I think that would help in this situation by at least giving the returning players something they could do about the reset.

(there were other parts of that suggestion too, like having the sanity drain attached to the grave instead so people don't want to kick players who die, and having an item that allowed you to locate graves)

Hey dude !

You're right, that's the idea, I think your proposal is a good one (until someone else find a better solution :p)

Thanks for your answer <3

Archived