Low Ping, Lots of Delay?

I usually scout the server listings to find the server with the lowest ping to play in.

But lately, to me, it seems like ping just, doesn't matter when it comes to latency? I've just tried to join a server in which I had about 67 ping (a pretty solid number if I do say) and the host was "Good," and still, the lag was horrid. It took like 10 seconds to receive a sapling.

I'm confused. Can someone please explain why this is happening?

From my experience of my own server, Friends seem to lag and sling shot even with a stable ping when someone is exploring new parts of the world.Seems exploration causes some severe strain on the server itself if its a Listen server rather than a dedicated.

Ah, I see. That might be it. I'll see if it gets any better later on. Thank you for your response.

From my experience of my own server, Friends seem to lag and sling shot even with a stable ping when someone is exploring new parts of the world.Seems exploration causes some severe strain on the server itself if its a Listen server rather than a dedicated.

I have a similar problem to original post. From other posts on the forums people have said it is down to the host computer not keeping up with the demand.

As for the exploration bit, i have find the opposite to be true for me, i lag a lot less if i am not near anyone else. Kind of defeats the "together" bit but makes it more playable. Thankfully i have found some people to play with were i get no lag. I think the thing to do is just keep trying until you find someone who is a good host for you, then just stick with them. 

No problem! Report your own findings back here cus it would help my own understanding aswell ^_^

Well, yesterday I tried to play on my friend's server. I'm not sure if it was linked to exploration, but the lag sort of just went up and down periodically. It started with massive lag, progressively lessening itself to very little. But after a while the lag would spike up again, and it would introduce the oh-so-wonderful desyncing every few steps.

In the first world we were in I died because we ran into some frogs. The game was playable until then, but when we arrived at that area the lag went off the charts. I was getting attacked by frogs that weren't even near me, and I couldn't keep running because I'd get stuck in place every few steps, allowing easy hits to the frogs. Maybe it had something to do with the number of mobs in that general area? There were frogs, a beefalo herd, and a guardian pig patch, so a pretty good amount. I don't really know.

I have a similar problem to original post. From other posts on the forums people have said it is down to the host computer not keeping up with the demand.

As for the exploration bit, i have find the opposite to be true for me, i lag a lot less if i am not near anyone else. Kind of defeats the "together" bit but makes it more playable. Thankfully i have found some people to play with were i get no lag. I think the thing to do is just keep trying until you find someone who is a good host for you, then just stick with them. 

Well to me it seems to vary. Sometimes I lag less when I'm around the host, sometimes it's the opposite. Makes me sad, to be honest. I was really looking forward to playing with my friend, but the game seems unplayable most of the time.

yeah i have the same problem, to the point that playing together is almost unplayable... i'm working with a low spec lappy using the hotspot from a 4g phone though. i get stuck every time i hit an object, and the harvest time is massive but only if i'm in a game with other people.

Odd though it may seem if i play using my lappy as it's own server i'm fine, i wonder is this isn't a case of the dev team trying to "load to much of the world" while the player is in motion.

it seems to me that the issue could be in 1) justifying duplicate, overlapping, player interaction areas sent to sever, 2) too much object timing update packages sent, (a whole mirror world image should be sent on world load including unexplored areas, with only player interaction updates, don't know how the game currently operates, but if individual exploring causes server lag, then the fog of war system needs a rework) 3) too much of the world loads as the players moves, if it's more than 1.2 x the screen size it's unnecessary i know that regular don't starve and rog loaded up to 3 screens in ever direction, for a multiplayer with time sensitive content package loads this is likely too much info for the average net connection, it's most definitely not the graphics end of things

Quick update from my side. I have just got a new computer and was playing last night. On my old computer my average ping was 45 and i got the lag. With the new one i was streaming whilst playing and had ping going all the way from 200 to 600 at some points. However the game was a lot more fluid then when i had 40 ping on the old computer. With this in mine i think the lag issue has more to do with the computer's power rather then the ping itself. Not sure if its the answer people would want but is what i have found. 

I want to add that for me most of the times when I connect on servers with a good ping (40 to 60) I get a lot of rubberbanding, whilst on servers where I have a higher ping (bigger than 60 up to 200) the game is indeed more fluid even though the ping is obviously higher.

Archived