Ghosts are too annoying

It's really bad when ghosts lowering mental health even when they're even not close to live players. It's need to be removed.  It's better to increase such influence, but only near player - like a presence of a scary monster.  (In opposite should be added a good influence from presence near living player other non-pvp players)

Then players that want to be resurrected can disturb living ones, but only if they not far from them.  Also can be added impossibiliy to sleep near the ghosts.

But.  There must be removed from ghost such abilites as: breaking items, burning items. There must be no direct influence to "real" world.  Instead,  abilities that can be added:  summoning ghosts rarely;   or attracting monsters to the place where ghost player stays.

Also can be added abilities that can be called "curse": they can enforce to food getting worse,   respawning tentacles on it's bioms,  or making frogs insane, or making trees bad,  etc.

If you don't like the sanity drain from the player ghosts, I suggest you play on/with either a wilderness server or an endless server. Since both Wilderness and Endless modes do not have sanity drain from player ghosts. I do agree that the ghosts in its current form are broken and exploitable. There are multiple suggestions on reducing the global sanity drain so it would be more manageable, but making ghosts have sanity drain auras that only affects nearby living players is not the way to go. Doing it that way then having sanity drain at all in a Survival Server is pointless since the player ghost can just stay away from other players indefinitely. Or griefers can concentrate the sanity drain on one victim. Plus since sanity drain is only on a Survival Mode servers then that means you all have to survive and no one should be ghosts indefinitely without consequence.

Attracting monsters to ghost players would be exploitable. If you were able to do that, then people would be able to clear out other mobs with other hostile mobs and that is unacceptable. In the spoiler below, is a screenshot from before when ghost players were still being chased by hounds if there are no other mobs/players around. In the image, we were able to clear out a lot of nests, tentacles and killer bees with hounds that spawned because of us being ghosts. Klei fixed that issue a bunch of hotfixes ago. So hopefully I'm correct when I say it is unacceptable for ghosts to attract monsters.

post-474697-0-60225900-1419166002_thumb.

Haunting does need work but to fully remove it, I'd have to disagree. The reason the haunting feature is annoying is because as living players, we have no way to combat counterproductive ghosts or unruly ghost players who decides to ruin all our work unless we are host so we can ban them. I've suggested a way to combat such attacks here: Introduce Ghost Warding Options To Combat Ghost Griefers. In the end, it all boils down to changing the ghost feature at its core. 

Currently ghost haunting can do the following and many more:
  • Haunting Meat has a chance to turn it into Monster Meat. 
  • Haunting mobs will sometimes confuse them. 
  • Haunting trees has a chance to spawn Tree Guards or start a fire. 
  • Haunting graves has a chance to spawn mob ghosts.

If you already knew about these things, I'm sorry @splitfrog. If anyone knows better and more detailed information, do correct/rectify my mistakes. Cheers.

One solution is that ghosts would automatically be kicked (or revived with no recipes unlocked) after X amount of time unless revived.

Another solution would be to ramp up the sanity drain slowly, starting slow the first few days than ramping up to unlivable levels by the tenth day or so.  That way it wouldn't be a disaster the moment someone dies, giving players time to find a touchstone or make a heart without panicking.

One solution is that ghosts would automatically be kicked (or revived with no recipes unlocked) after X amount of time unless revived.

But the point of the sanity drain is to force you to help the ghosts. It makes Survival mode into a forced-cooperative experience. In my opinion, the only fix needed is that ghosts should keep draining sanity even if they leave, and they would leave behind something that you could give revival items to in order to stop the drain (and have them resurrect if they return). Kicking ghosts or making them leave was never an intended solution to sanity drain.

Another solution would be to ramp up the sanity drain slowly, starting slow the first few days than ramping up to unlivable levels by the tenth day or so.  That way it wouldn't be a disaster the moment someone dies, giving players time to find a touchstone or make a heart without panicking.

This I would actually like, especially if the sanity drain ramped up higher than it currently is. Maybe starts out at no drain, and ramps up to twice the current level after 5-10 days. The sanity drain is supposed to cause downward spirals that get everyone killed so the world resets, much like in single-player where a mistake causes you to die, ending your run.

Archived