[Gameplay] - To many hounds!

Kingpest

Bug Submission:

Category: Gameplay

Issue Title: To many hounds!

Issue Description: Me and my friend were playing on a lan game and it was the first hound attack on our world. We thought 1 or 2 hounds would come but 6 hounds came on are first hound attack on day 12. The hounds killed my friend but I survived with 17 health.

Steps to Reproduce: We were just playing the game normally such as exploring, getting food, ect and we noticed our characters said the hounds were coming. So we got out are spears and equipped are logsuits getting ready to fight.

(My friend was playing as willow and I was playing as wendy) After we got 2 hounds killed I said that that should be all of them but 30 seconds later 4 more came after us. Are base had stone walls around MOST of the edges and we lived in a pig village. We have a crockpot, Lightingrod, 2 chest, science and alchemy engines, and a firepit.

I hope that bug can be fixed and that no one else has to dye because of a cheep bug.

We thought 1 or 2 hounds would come but 6 hounds came on are first hound attack on day 12. The hounds killed my friend but I survived with 17 health.
This is basically the soul of the game. It's supposed to surprise you and kill you. 

And the hound numbers are intended, and are similar (but actually strictly equal to or less than) the numbers you encounter in single-player. Learning how to deal with the increasing number of hounds is part of the learning process.

As the others said, this is definitely intended. The difficulty is curved based on how many players are in the world. I'm not certain, but it seems that it also increases based on the max player count for the server (Max players: 2 = 5~ hounds. Max Players: 6 = 10~). By working as a team, you can usually handle them pretty easily. Especially if one of you is Wendy and you can have Abigail tank the damage. The hounds will continue to scale up as it goes. Best of luck to you and your friend!

@Ventus976, Actually, the way it works is that it spawns single-player numbers of hounds for each player. However, if you're close together, it'll reduce the number of hounds a bit so you don't get overwhelmed.

So by day 100, when you get 7-10 hounds, it is possible to get 60 hounds with 6 players. If you're all clustered, however, it uses this formula:

hounds = floor( base_hounds ^ 1/(0.95 + 0.05*players) )

hounds = floor( 6*10 ^ 1/(0.95 + 0.05*6) )

hounds = floor( 60 ^ 1/1.25 )

hounds = floor( 26.456 )

hounds = 26 

@Ventus976, Actually, the way it works is that it spawns single-player numbers of hounds for each player. However, if you're close together, it'll reduce the number of hounds a bit so you don't get overwhelmed.

So by day 100, when you get 7-10 hounds, it is possible to get 60 hounds with 6 players. If you're all clustered, however, it uses this formula:

hounds = floor( base_hounds ^ 1/(0.95 + 0.05*players) )

hounds = floor( 6*10 ^ 1/(0.95 + 0.05*6) )

hounds = floor( 60 ^ 1/1.25 )

hounds = floor( 26.456 )

hounds = 26 

Huh. That's actually really good to know. Thanks for the info!

Archived