Solution to ghost griefers: Haunting makes you lose humanity

I remember when ghosts were first in, they had draining humanity that could be partially gained back by haunting. But now, ghosts have infinite haunting and infinite life; they're the ideal griefing form.

Perhaps it could be made so that each time you haunt something, you lose humanity, and when you run out, you can't haunt stuff anymore. That would give ghosts things to do, but they'd have to spend the humanity carefully.

So, a benign player dies, and becomes a ghost. They might be able to do a few useful things for the team while a ghost (make a few ghost soldiers, kill some stuff with that, convert some mushrooms or flowers), and by the time they're revived, they probably still have a bit of humanity left over.

When a griefer dies, they become a ghost, and haunt things to annoy people and break stuff. Eventually they run out of humanity and have nothing left to do, so they leave.

One thing that might help this is if breaking a structure by haunting caused a complete loss of humanity, since that's one of the most annoying thing griefing ghosts can do-- serially break down every structure in your base.

This would be better as a server option. As bad as it is for someone to discover that spiders can ignite when haunted, I want them to explore and discover. I learned that I can haunt the forecast machine to force it to rain, but soon after I learned that it can also break. While it is not fun to glue things back together, I still think people should always try to think outside the box.

@Ridley, but there are plenty of things in the game you can't learn without taking risks (or reading the wiki). Finding out about Tams, for instance. Griefing is a huge problem on public servers, and if reduced ability to explore haunting is the result of the fix for griefing, that's a really good trade.

hmm, is this 1st hand experience of being griefed?

Yes, there's been a griefer on every public dedicated server session I've been in (where it was possible to grief, e.g. not the PvP ones, but even then there was some lame behavior, like a Willow camping the spawn).

I agree. We killed a griefer, then realised to our horror that we were now faced with an invincible ghost who could burn our stuff. As admin I could have kicked her, but I'd like to see an in-game solution that doesn't require a kick or ban.

Having humanity drain is a good idea. I'd also suggest having the ghost dissipate, then appearing back at the portal and having a server-set respawn cooldown (or a server-option to auto-ban proper-dead players)

It'd be kind of cool to "swat" at the ghosts and have them like disappear like/be unable to do things. As if they were getting attacked and stunned. xD It'd be nice to have something to be able to deal or stop them from wrecking things. 

But I like the idea of making them have to do something. Like living players have to work on not starving, they have to work on existing or trying to exist in some form (whatever you want to call it :p)

I watched some poor people go on a dedicated server in winter, they spawned in. There was no grass or twigs, no hats, just nothing. Other than a fire pit. Most of us were all dead (me included), but they had full hp, could of easily attempted to start reviving us. But one griefer ghost decided he wants the world to reset and kept destroying the fire pit and rest of the base. All I could do was watch them shiver and freeze :(  When they ran around I tried to light things up for their warmth. (Which was kind of fun trying to help them not die. But I think I was in the minority there lol).

I felt bad that they just couldn't do anything in their own defense. Something would be nice.

I think sometimes its not intentional grief but a reflex or boredom :S If you could do more INERESTING things as a ghost... Something you'd have to spend time and effort on...

But isn't the point supposed to be to try and stay alive and not become/stay a ghost?

We could go ghostbusters style and get some proton packs (just don't cross the streams!) and be able to banish a ghost.  Then if banished they can only be released via a vote or soemthing like that.

and be able to banish a ghost. Then if banished they can only be released via a vote or soemthing like that.

Way too op against ghosts :S (just my opinion, sorry)

Edit : And yeah, I guess that is the point, but as a "human" there are tons of things that need time and effort...If ghosts had something else to do they might not grief, intentionally or not... Of course that griefers will be griefers, right? They will ressurrect and grief

Archived