Revamped concept of the Pig King

A common complaint I've been seeing is that the Pig King doesn't generate on some worlds, making the mid-game much more difficult than it has to be. While I was initially with the people who think the generation code needs to be tweaked to make the Pig King more reliably generate, it's occurred to me that this might not even be necessary. Maybe the King himself needs an overhaul.

Namely, the idea of an immortal, irreplaceable barter NPC kind of severely sticks out in a game where pretty much nothing is unbreakable. 

So why not make it possible for individual pigs able to become the king? And at the same time, make the king an optional boss to be attacked and killed if desired -- maybe even automatically becoming hostile during full moon. Maybe I've been playing too much Shadow of Mordor but I really like the idea that the king could be replaced or even established if he doesn't naturally generate. Which pig ultimately becomes king would be probably based on number or quality of kills they've had in the overworld. Also depending on where the pig lives and their interaction with the player changes the world a bit.

For instance, if the new king...

... Lived in a swamp.   The pig village acquires new merm heads around the entrance. New or replacement merm houses may generate as a result in the swamp.

... Has aggro'd the player before.  Pigs become hostile if you stay too close for too long, akin to spiders. If the king is replaced, this aggro isn't counted against you.

... Was one of the player's followers.  Guardian pigs no longer hostile and in fact can be recruited like normal. Normal pigs will aggro anything that damages the player. 

... Is a bunnyman?! (easter egg)  Pigs now wear doofy fake rabbit ears and can be recruited with carrots. They may drop the rabbit ears on death in addition to normal drops.

Just a few ideas. This would definitely take the sting out of a world without a pig king and even make it an interesting challenge to manipulate the pig community into a form convenient or useful. The lack of a king would then become an opportunity instead of a downer.

This is exactly what I've been thinking about. But devs are too lazy for complex parts of program unless it's for bug/error reasons :(

This is exactly what makes the game a bore to play after a while: its simplicity. There's barely any complex entities in the game and it's usually like "this does that when this happens and that's it" instead of "this can happen when this is done, this happens when you do this, this happens all the time, this could happen when the other thing has happened because of sonething else etc."

I really like the idea that pig kings can be replaced, along side all other conditions you've mentioned above. There should also be a grouping mechanism to this much like with beefalos herds. So that a certain number of pigs will be considered as one group. It'll be nice to have multiple types of Pig Towns in one world.

The thought of a Werepig King during a full moon amuses me, if it were even possible.

An aggro'd Pig King may also become a giant boss maybe, much like deerclops? The Pig King would also have his own attack patters etc, like lets say he can group command all pigs in the area to attack the player twice in a row before dodging, or each pig to attack player one at a time consecutively. 

Anyways, just throwing ideas in the pot. 

I feel Webber is already pretty good as he is -- being able to avoid hostile spider encounters in the cave and even have a boss monster allied to him more than makes up for the disadvantage of being a pork pariah. That said, the idea of a resulting spider-friendly pig king is definitely an interesting one. 

I really like the idea that pig kings can be replaced, along side all other conditions you've mentioned above. There should also be a grouping mechanism to this much like with beefalos herds. So that a certain number of pigs will be considered as one group. It'll be nice to have multiple types of Pig Towns in one world.

The thought of a Werepig King during a full moon amuses me, if it were even possible.

An aggro'd Pig King may also become a giant boss maybe, much like deerclops? The Pig King would also have his own attack patters etc, like lets say he can group command all pigs in the area to attack the player twice in a row before dodging, or each pig to attack player one at a time consecutively. 

Anyways, just throwing ideas in the pot. 

Sounds a bit like Warg attacking player by summoning hounds :grin: I like it!

I'm all in favor of werepig king. Maybe his hat could even be a special drop?

What about Webber, though? How could Webber influence the pig kings "persona?" As it stands, despite pigs being hostile to him, he can still trade with the king.

The "crown" of the Pig king would be the only way (an item) with which you or other pigs could become the next king. There's already a mod for this, but it doesn't include pigs turning into Pig kings if you give them the crown, thought, so that would be great to have. And if pigs would see the crown on the ground, they would come after it and become the king. May be I could make an animation of how pig, suddenly becomes a big, fat Pig king XD

As for webber, well. Yeah, he would probably be agrooed by the Pig king normally and with the Pig king as a Werepig king :(

Archived