Possibility of collaboration?

Basically I wanted to know how possible it is to find a partner to create mods. I have basically no understanding of coding and I don't know how to deal very well with image editors (I can do some things on Photoshop and I have no problems learning about how to edit images, but I tried drawing on it and that's not really for me especially because I lack the tools), however I know exactly what I want and the directions to follow. I can also draw and write and the main reason I'm asking about this possibility is because I wanted to start a series of mods featuring some of my original characters.

This thread is not an actual invitation, but rather a question! If the possibility exists I'll ask around in the near future after I organize things better and learn exactly what directions I'd have to give to the actual modder.

Great mods take great minds, and great minds like to show off their greatness, so you'd need to find people who

are rather good at something needed

like the concept (and are allowed to give a bit of their own input)

Both of which are rather rare, so finding even one or two ppl who meet those criteria is going to be difficult. Also, "my original characters" isn't very collab-ish.

not sure people would want to help u out and spend hours and hours working on art and code, when u "exactly know what u want", sounds like work without money and not a collaboration/partnership..?

No, I can do the art. As long as the actual game art can be done on paper and then tweaker in Photoshop, I can take care of that myself. It'd be more someone to take care of coding in the case I can do the art myself. But, if the art -needs- to be done directly on Photoshop, I'd probably need someone to simply copy what I'd do. And ofc is work w/o money... Do ppl make money with these mods?

Great mods take great minds, and great minds like to show off their greatness, so you'd need to find people who

are rather good at something needed

like the concept (and are allowed to give a bit of their own input)

Both of which are rather rare, so finding even one or two ppl who meet those criteria is going to be difficult. Also, "my original characters" isn't very collab-ish.

I saw lots of original characters made by two people... Ofc I'm not limiting the collaboration only to my characters, but they're something I'd like to put into the game (no, I'm totally willing to work on other things as well. Just mentioned this first because I was excited with the idea). I've never done mods, but that doesn't mean I'm no good with concepts. I'm not the best draftsman out there, but I can't be called bad either and I also write, so as I said to Vivalavie the other part would be charged more with coding if I could make the drawings on paper and then edit them on Photoshop. But ofc, if the drawings would need to be made directly on computer, I'd need someone to simply copy what I've done.

So, since you said it's hard, I'm not likely to start a collaboration, partnership or find help around the forums?

well if u put ur linework into photoshop it needs to be cleaned which takes time and u have to split characters into different parts like 10 feet and 10 faces for animation obviously and thats why its probably a lot better to work directly in photoshop, so it s all aligned nicely. not sure if u want to use the color that u put on paper, but its never going to look so good when scanned or photographed. just from the art side you would need a lot of help if u dont have the equipment ( why not get a cheap graphic tablet :)?). people arnt making money with the mods on workshop but they could make money or do theirs own personal projects  with the time they dont help people out with their personal mods if u know what i mean :D its just hours and hours.. if u would present ur character ideas and ask people if they are interested in helping out because the charas could be fun to play and add to the game that would be a better start! :) 

well if u put ur linework into photoshop it needs to be cleaned which takes time and u have to split characters into different parts like 10 feet and 10 faces for animation obviously and thats why its probably a lot better to work directly in photoshop, so it s all aligned nicely. not sure if u want to use the color that u put on paper, but its never going to look so good when scanned or photographed. just from the art side you would need a lot of help if u dont have the equipment ( why not get a cheap graphic tablet :-)?). people arnt making money with the mods on workshop but they could make money or do theirs own personal projects  with the time they dont help people out with their personal mods if u know what i mean :grin: its just hours and hours.. if u would present ur character ideas and ask people if they are interested in helping out because the charas could be fun to play and add to the game that would be a better start! :-)

Oh, I can actually get nice colors from scanned drawings by messing up with color levels - it's complicated with photographed ones bc of environment lighting, which can mess up big time. Here's an example. A friend of mine taught me the trick and it does a hell of  difference. In that case I think it's possible for me to take care of the art department, just have to make the models big enough so when zoomed they'll be in HD (done this before as well). 

And indeed, I see your point. I'll organize myself to hopefully show off the art and concept soon :) Ty!

Oh, I can actually get nice colors from scanned drawings by messing up with color levels - it's complicated with photographed ones bc of environment lighting, which can mess up big time. Here's an example. A friend of mine taught me the trick and it does a hell of  difference. In that case I think it's possible for me to take care of the art department, just have to make the models big enough so when zoomed they'll be in HD (done this before as well). 

And indeed, I see your point. I'll organize myself to hopefully show off the art and concept soon :-) Ty!

solid enough colors for dont starve ! :D sure! 

Archived