Tree Shadow for Shade

So I did a quick search in a number of places including the Steam Workshop, the forums, and across Google and haven't found anything like what I'm looking for here. I'm considering taking up modding and giving it a shot if I have to but I'd like to bring it up and see if anyone else is either interested, already knows of a mod like this, or thinks they might be able to make it faster than someone with zero modding experience in Don't Starve.

The idea? Shadows on trees.

But this is more of a functional improvement than a visual one because I don't think the trees necessarily need to have shadows to "make the game look better." Visually I think they're fine.

The problem here comes down to shade. My first, second, third, and forth time playing summer, my most difficult time was trying to figure out what the game considered a "shaded area" or not. Some trees seemed to offer it like Birchnut, where others didn't seem to offer any, like pine-trees. Even the size of the tree determines whether or not it's shaded.

Figuring out which and how close you need to be by the tree seems to be purely a matter of spoken dialog which isn't very reliable.

The proposed idea is simply to put a shadow, even if it's light and subtle, around the base of trees to signify whether or not they provide shade during the summer or protection from rain during storms. When the player sees these shadows, they can be confident before even having to go up to them, that it's safe to assume it'll provide them protection.

I don't post on here very often so I'm not sure if this is the best place to make such a post. If not, apologizes in advance. But I'd really like to hear what folks have to say here, or, if it's already been brought up, where I might go about reading the discussion that's already taken place.

This would be an awesome mod, someone who actually knows how to make them please do this if it hasn't already.

This would be an awesome mod, someone who actually knows how to make them please do this if it hasn't already.

Archived